Bilbao/Getxo

geoherb

We'll be on the Crown Princess stopping in Bilbao/Getxo next month. Unfortunately, Spain Day Tours doesn't have room currently on the excursion I tried to book. It's an 8-hour tour. I'm on the waitlist. In lieu of that, I signed up for the Princess excursion that goes to the old town and Guggenheim. It's only 4.5 hours. The morning tours were sold out, so I booked us the afternoon one that doesn't leave until 2 p.m. Is there anything to do near the cruise dock in the morning? I may decide to cancel the tour and just take a taxi. Has anyone gone from the port to the museum via bus or subway? One website says those are also possibilities.  

See my previous reply.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2666393-bilbao-on-our-own/?do=findComment&comment=57694593

There is bus, metro and taxi that should be in 25€ ballpark. Also cruise company may run paid shuttle. I don't find Guggenheim worth visiting, exterior is more interesting. Old town is about 15 min walk from Guggenheim.

Thanks. I think I'll cancel the excursion and plan to do it on our own. I just read Dan Brown's Origin and am excited to see the museum, even the inside.  Someone on our cruise has organized a book club discussion of this book for one of our sea days. 

• 2 weeks later...

There is little to do close to the cruise port although it is possible to walk from the port into the small nearby town.  As to Bilbao, we have found it to be a relatively easy place to get around on our own (we walk and use their tram).  As to getting from ship to town, on our 3 cruise visits (we have also driven there on a driving trip) there has been a free shuttle bus (apparently paid for by the port and some tourist bureau or merchant association in Bilbao).  Cruise lines tend not to mention the free shuttle (we do not know if it still exists) for obvious reasons.  If there is no shuttle it is actually possible to get their on one's own by using the inexpensive Metro but it is a good 20 min hike from the port to the nearest station at Neguri.  If they do still run the free shuttle bus it will drop you off downtown near the main shopping area.  From there it is possible to get anywhere by walking and/or using the decent tram system.  By the way, a taxi from the port into Bilbao should cost no more than 35 Euros.  Split a few ways this is not unreasonable and is certainly the fastest way into town.

Bilbao is an interesting city that has improved (in many ways) since we first visited about 20 years ago.  Not only is there the museum, but the old town as a large indoor market (we love exploring markets) as well as adjacent shops.  And the main downtown area has more then its share of stores (both large and small).  We also enjoy walking along the river walk area in town if the weather is favorable.

Hank