Propulsion problems on Grandeur?

3 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Home at last!  Just quick little trip!   Getting off the ship was a little slow — we didn’t dock until 7 instead of 6.  Long line for the walk offs.  But again things went well.  I think Royal handled the situation as best they could.  

Welcome home.  🙂

8 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Home at last!  Just quick little trip!   Getting off the ship was a little slow — we didn’t dock until 7 instead of 6.  Long line for the walk offs.  But again things went well.  I think Royal handled the situation as best they could.  

Terrific.  Thanks for the departure info

We will fly home this afternoon.  I suspect  our travel insurance will reimburse for the new return flight airfare that is greater than the Royal Caribbean $200 allowance.   I don’t know if the insurance will cover our original flight to Baltimore,   pre-cruise hotel, airport parking etc. I’m going to submit receipts and see what happens.   I’m not sure if trip interruption kicks in on expenses that happened on the way to the “ interrupted“ trip. 

I feel sad for those who can’t travel often or perhaps won’t have an opportunity to make up the trip. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

3 minutes ago, rmzlvacationers said:

Supposed to be onboard Thursday for NE/Canada. Between this propulsion problem and Dorian I don’t even know whether to pack or not! Even if they get the ship fixed we may be cancelled or rerouted. The waiting and the unknown are the worst. Can’t wait to get some answers!!

Hopefully they will let you know soon. I’m on after you 9/19 cruise. Please post if you find out anything. Wondering if Grandeur is in Baltimore. 

Just now, Susan in Maine said:

I don't think you'll have a problem with the New England/Canada itinerary. I'm in Maine and there is nothing being said about Dorian coming anywhere near us.

We are doing 9 nights, Bermuda, Nassau & Coco Cay. 

14 minutes ago, rmzlvacationers said:

Supposed to be onboard Thursday for NE/Canada. Between this propulsion problem and Dorian I don’t even know whether to pack or not! Even if they get the ship fixed we may be cancelled or rerouted. The waiting and the unknown are the worst. Can’t wait to get some answers!!

I wouldn't worry about Dorian. I would only be concerned about the ship being fixed by Thursday.  

9 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

Hopefully they will let you know soon. I’m on after you 9/19 cruise. Please post if you find out anything. Wondering if Grandeur is in Baltimore. 

Same here. Our backup plan right now is the Serenade or Mariner if the Grandeur is  somehow not fixed by the 19th. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

Same here. Our backup plan right now is the Serenade or Mariner if the Grandeur is  somehow not fixed by the 19th. 

Please excuse my ignorance but I’ve never dealt with cancellations before, what do you mean? You are able to just immediately change to a different ship?

4 minutes ago, rmzlvacationers said:

Please excuse my ignorance but I’ve never dealt with cancellations before, what do you mean? You are able to just immediately change to a different ship?

The cruise lines generally seem to offer alternate cruises that your current booking can be transferred to with no penalty, some will have similar sailing dates.  Of course - that depends on cabin availability.  There will also be refund offers in the same letter/email.

34 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

It is still here. Baltimore is a major shipping port so I imagine they can handle anything short of a dry dock. 

8 minutes ago, hallux said:

The cruise lines generally seem to offer alternate cruises that your current booking can be transferred to with no penalty, some will have similar sailing dates.  Of course - that depends on cabin availability.  There will also be refund offers in the same letter/email.

Got it. Thanks. Unfortunately we would probably have to sail at a date much further out due to work and college schedules. Think I’m just gonna keep my fingers crossed that they get it fixed in time. They have had a few days and I’m sure they don’t want to pay out anymore than they have to so they are hopefully working hard to get it fixed. 

51 minutes ago, rmzlvacationers said:

I will respectfully disagree.  Getting ON the ship and then being told you are cancelled is worse. 😁😁

8 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

I will respectfully disagree.  Getting ON the ship and then being told you are cancelled is worse. 😁😁

Oh yikes! Yes you are right. 

Question: we booked with a large group thru a local travel agent. If we are cancelled would RC contact us directly or our TA?

8 minutes ago, rmzlvacationers said:

Oh yikes! Yes you are right. 

Question: we booked with a large group thru a local travel agent. If we are cancelled would RC contact us directly or our TA?

Your travel agent for sure, and possibly you too.

2 hours ago, rmzlvacationers said:

Some of the projections have Dorian near the mouth of the Chesapeake late Thursday into early Friday.  I could see them truncating the next sailing from a 9-night leaving Thursday to a 7-night leaving Saturday to avoid Dorian.  That's if the repairs are done by then.

2 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

AGREE!!!!!  

Plus I am wondering if my travel insurance will assist in our pre cruise expenses (air fare, hotel, hotel parking, etc)or  if we are out that $$. We had to buy a different ticket home as the original ticket was not changeable. RCCL will give us $200 per ticket but doesn’t cover the new ticket cost!   I know the travel insurance will kick in. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I hope I don't get flamed for this, but maybe it's time the Grandeur gets replaced in Baltimore? I know it has its multitude of fans, but how long has the ship been sailing from Baltimore? 6 years? It is the third oldest ship in RCCL. Can any of the Voyager-class ships sail from Baltimore?

Edited by toad455

11 minutes ago, toad455 said:

I hope I don't get flamed for this, but maybe it's time the Grandeur gets replaced in Baltimore? I know it has its multitude of fans, but how long has the ship been sailing from Baltimore? 6 years? It is the third oldest ship in RCCL. Can any of the Voyager-class ships sail from Baltimore?

No, the Key bridge limits the size of ships that can use Baltimore.

• Like 1

Between the last time I looked and now, Grandeur has left the port.  Anyone hear any up to date news on what is happening.  Can't seem to find her on Marine Traffic but there is a ship that looks like it could be her just going under the Bay Bridges.

28 minutes ago, DELTABLUE said:

Wonder where she's off to and for how long?😕

Given they thought the issue was resolved last time until after departure, I wonder if it could be a functional test.  AIS shows her returning to Baltimore, but I don't know how accurate that is.  It does show her making 18+ knots as well.

I would think Baltimore could accommodate almost any in the water repair, but perhaps Norfolk or NYC has something they require?  She is under 80,000GT, so there might be some commercial drydock options that wouldn't be normally used by RCI should they need to get her out of the water.

2 hours ago, rmzlvacationers said:

Ok even if repaired in time the weather channel has Dorian possibly mixing with another storm and reforming stronger to hit Nova Scotia over the weekend. Uggghh

Sadly it is possible that Dorian will be hanging around the entrance to the bay around your departure, and then heading up towards Canada.  The good news is it is expected to pick up speed rapidly as it moves North, so hopefully with a little creative routing and some luck you'll still be able to get in most of what you want to see!

Edited by AL3XCruise