Card being swiped for every round of drinks in Diamond lounge

1 hour ago, 123funcruiser said:

They wouldn´t do it if they didn´t Benefit from it.

You may be right. However, the way companies do business today, it is getting to be a norm to shut down. Look at over 8,000 stores closing in the US. The malls are closing. Try to get help call a Companies Customer Service. JMHO!

22 hours ago, gerif said:

Purely speculative but maybe trying to see how many people spend the entire happy hour guzzling as many drinks as possible. Wouldn’t be surprised if they started putting a limit on number of drinks allowed. 

Just because people enjoy their time in the DL most likely talking with friends doesn't mean they are guzzling drinks. Do you have a problem with people enjoying themselves in the DL?

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Because some people share a card like they share drink packages, some even bring a old Diamond card that is borrowed from someone at home. As you walk in the host only looks to see if Diamond is printed on the card, not who the card belongs to. 

I haven't heard of this one before. That's being desperate for a few cheap drinks. Good if they swipe the cards. I don't care if some people drink a lot in the DL. I only have issues with people that don't belong there.

21 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I think situations similar to this are one of the reasons they have recently changed the design of the SeaPass card, and the sailing date is more prominently displayed now.

I never paid attention to how my card was printed, but they should be checking them closely.

3 hours ago, Oxo said:

Thanks for the spell out. I know the term and use it frequently. However , others my not know. 

My point is, does RCI benefit from this exercise? It sure slows down the drink process as people line up as soon as the door opens. MUST be first to get the drink. LOL

Maybe first to get a seat which there is nothing wrong with or a drink for that matter.

Edited by ReneeFLL

Inventory?  Maybe, maybe not!  By simply taking the number of bottles used per cruise they would have a firm count of inventory... so?

Cheating?  Maybe, maybe not!  Yes, folks cheat, but at what percentage?  Probably minimal.

Justification to get Diamonds out of the lounge to have only three drinks per night?  Maybe, maybe not!  But, given the fact that D+ have been kicked out of the now almost non-existent Concierge Lounges, it is the next logical step for RCCL, but demands justification.  D's drinking too much?  Hmm... swiping cards will prove it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 123funcruiser said:

1. They can make a cross check between inventory By bottles against inventory By Card swiping.

2. They get an additional idea About Timing and as to what the Peak times are within the happy hour.

3. They get an idea About how much a single Person consumes in what time Frame. 

Many times in various DLs we have been drinking Prosecco or wine and the waiters have just topped up our glasses.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

The old card might work for a day or two after the end of the cruise, but I suspect more ineligible people get in by just following others when the door is open.

I agree, people are curious and have followed us into the DL and CL.

28 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Inventory?  Maybe, maybe not!  By simply taking the number of bottles used per cruise they would have a firm count of inventory... so?

Cheating?  Maybe, maybe not!  Yes, folks cheat, but at what percentage?  Probably minimal.

Justification to get Diamonds out of the lounge to have only three drinks per night?  Maybe, maybe not!  But, given the fact that D+ have been kicked out of the now almost non-existent Concierge Lounges, it is the next logical step for RCCL, but demands justification.  D's drinking too much?  Hmm... swiping cards will prove it!

Very interesting and considering how many Diamonds there are now if they drink 4 drinks on average RC might be looking at how many more drinks of compensation they need to give Diamond's to lose their DL Access and drink in other bars instead and make DLs Loyalty lounges for D+ and Pinnacle when they make SLs for suite guests only.

On our last cruise we went to the DL for 1 hour on the first night only and used our 3 drinks in Boleros and champagne lounge for the rest of the cruise.

We still went into the DL for a coffee during the day.

17 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We get on Explorer in 5 weeks.

What do you think of its DL and does it still have a CL for us DS.

The last time we were on EX (we have only been on twice) was years ago.  There was no DL, just the CL in the "deep dark closet" interior space near cabins on deck 9 between the elevators (which is still there I understand and yes...DS have access).  There was a nightly "Suites area" on VCL deck, AKA "sports pub" with the goofy "bing bong" machine that was a golf ball thing (which was removed later).  I believe that is where the dedicated DL went into.   We simply used our vouchers and sat at the VCL bar with the nice view when were on back then.  

Sooo...no...have not been on since they added the DL, which I know I would enjoy more.  Enjoy and have a fantabulous cruise my DS freind!  🙂 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, yogimax said:

Inventory also means they want to have the right alcohol on hand, based on passengers' preferences for mixed drinks.  It might be for that cruise, or for that month, or for that ship, or for the whole fleet.  Cost control if they get a better estimate of volume needed.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

The last time we were on EX (we have only been on twice) was years ago.  There was no DL, just the CL in the "deep dark closet" interior space near cabins on deck 9 between the elevators (which is still there I understand and yes...DS have access).  There was a nightly "Suites area" on VCL deck, AKA "sports pub" with the goofy "bing bong" machine that was a golf ball thing (which was removed later).  I believe that is where the dedicated DL went into.   We simply used our vouchers and sat at the VCL bar with the nice view when were on back then.  

Sooo...no...have not been on since they added the DL, which I know I would enjoy more.  Enjoy and have a fantabulous cruise my DS freind!  🙂 

Thank you so much my DS friend.

We were last on Explorer in January 2008 round trip New York-Caribbean-New York but we weren't Diamond until 2009 before the DL were introduced.

Explorer has a lovely Diamond Lounge, Deck 14, near to Dizzys.  There is also an outside area with chairs and tables for those warm, balmy evenings.  Staircase down to the sports court blocked off at both top & bottom with notice saying 'private diamond lounge'  However, there was no checking of cards and I know there were people in there who  weren't diamond members.  People definitely sneak in behind legitimate card holders. They can swipe my card as many times as they like, I have nothing to hide and my one sprite a night won't break the bank but  checking whose who,  in my opinion definitely needs stepping up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yoj13 said:

Explorer has a lovely Diamond Lounge, Deck 14, near to Dizzys.  There is also an outside area with chairs and tables for those warm, balmy evenings.  Staircase down to the sports court blocked off at both top & bottom with notice saying 'private diamond lounge'  However, there was no checking of cards and I know there were people in there who  weren't diamond members.  People definitely sneak in behind legitimate card holders. They can swipe my card as many times as they like, I have nothing to hide and my one sprite a night won't break the bank but  checking whose who,  in my opinion definitely needs stepping up.

Thank you.

It sounds like the DL on Independence and Freedom.

Inventory can easily be gleaned from their own records. But usage is different and probably why they do this. By scanning, they can figure out tons of data--including how many different people show up, when the drinking occurs, what % of them drink X number of drinks, whether people have the package as well, and how the drinking--and drinking rate--in the DL compares to (and perhaps affects sales in) other bars. They can even look at cruisers' history to see if they used to buy a package but don't after reaching D status, as well as other data. Think about what Google, Amazon and FB do with your data. Number crunchers run the digital world, and virtually everything you do gets tracked!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 10:01 AM, yogimax said:

Been on radiance, serenade and ovation in the past 5 months and they all has CL for D+ and above to use.  Now our cruise next mo th on Liberty does not have a CL but there is a SL opposite of the DL on her.  So in 6 months, we have been on 4 different ships and 3 of them have a CL.  The CL has been available on a majority of my sailings.

I have managed a few small business. They all had physical product that needed to be "controlled". From an inventory, revenue and analytics perspective I can't believe management isn't mandating the need to input the cabin number or scan the card on EVERY purchase. I have heard of bars on ships running out of certain alcohol, mixers, etc. If a proper Point of Sale system (with the aforementioned services) was in use there would be less of this if every drink/pour/mistake is entered/swiped.

Maybe the bars need Jon Taffer to Rescue them 🙂

Edited by JennyB1977

On 8/31/2019 at 1:39 PM, grapau27 said:

Very interesting and considering how many Diamonds there are now if they drink 4 drinks on average RC might be looking at how many more drinks of compensation they need to give Diamond's to lose their DL Access and drink in other bars instead and make DLs Loyalty lounges for D+ and Pinnacle when they make SLs for suite guests only.

On our last cruise we went to the DL for 1 hour on the first night only and used our 3 drinks in Boleros and champagne lounge for the rest of the cruise.

I believe you may be on to something with those thoughts.  With some of the SL's getting overcrowded at times there may come a time when Pinnacle's are no longer welcome.  With the growing numbers of D+'s the time may come went Diamond loses their lounge.  The big unknown is how do they deal with those Diamonds that will be very upset about losing the coffee machine.   

6 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

I believe you may be on to something with those thoughts.  With some of the SL's getting overcrowded at times there may come a time when Pinnacle's are no longer welcome.  With the growing numbers of D+'s the time may come went Diamond loses their lounge.  The big unknown is how do they deal with those Diamonds that will be very upset about losing the coffee machine.   

I believe that the expression is "SOL".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

They probably keep a check on how much coffee is used daily to put into the coffee machine.

They may allow 1 or 2 speciality coffees free on Diamonds cards every day elsewhere on the ship to compensate for no DL Access during the day.

On 8/30/2019 at 12:42 PM, Host Clarea said:

This was reported from Majesty months (maybe more than a year)  ago.  Same inventory reason.

Personally we prefer Sauvignon Blanc which is no longer on the DL drinks list.

On a similar principal to the DP if they are going to swipe everyone's card I would happily pay for example $2 supplement for Sauvignon Blanc added on to our seapass card by the DL waiter or in any bar while using our 3 HH drinks.

This supplement could be widened in the bars to cover any drink.

Edited by grapau27

17 hours ago, frank808 said:

Been on radiance, serenade and ovation in the past 5 months and they all has CL for D+ and above to use.  Now our cruise next mo th on Liberty does not have a CL but there is a SL opposite of the DL on her.  So in 6 months, we have been on 4 different ships and 3 of them have a CL.  The CL has been available on a majority of my sailings.

Hi Frank!  How is the weather over there?  A bit blustery on the east coast right now.  😉 

I really don't think Vision and Radiance class have enough total number of full suites to justify putting in a dedicated SL replacing the CL.   I would think kicking D+ out of that alternate lounge would find the newly installed SL pretty empty on those classes of ships... IMHO?  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

The big unknown is how do they deal with those Diamonds that will be very upset about losing the coffee machine.   

Give them free drink vouchers at Starbucks/ CAFÉ LATTE-TUDES

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 3:19 PM, mayleeman said:

Inventory can easily be gleaned from their own records. But usage is different and probably why they do this. By scanning, they can figure out tons of data--including how many different people show up, when the drinking occurs, what % of them drink X number of drinks, whether people have the package as well, and how the drinking--and drinking rate--in the DL compares to (and perhaps affects sales in) other bars. They can even look at cruisers' history to see if they used to buy a package but don't after reaching D status, as well as other data. Think about what Google, Amazon and FB do with your data. Number crunchers run the digital world, and virtually everything you do gets tracked!

Bang on! Working in the hotel industry within food & beverage, we are also Diamond status. While we haven't encountered the swiping of our cards in the lounge, they have always asked us to see our seapass upon entering the and rightfully so. 

These "inventory" swipes of the seapass card will yield a whole story line as to guests usage, preferences, time of consumption and location on-board where they enjoyed their drink and so much more.  Through their systems, they can see how busy the lounge was during the happy hour period, drinks consumed, age groups,  which brands used (and in turn understand what sells and what doesn't, after all- beverage costs are always audited). 

They can track that Sally with diamond status, visits the lounge each evening for 1 hour, consumes 2 glasses of Chardonnay in the lounge and then has another 2 at other bars on the ship, during the happy hour period. They also know that Sally does not buy a beverage package. They can see occupancy of the lounge daily and peak times.  

Asides from standard corporate audits, all this will of course determine future strategies for beverage costs, lounge capacities, Crown and Anchor opportunities  , brand selection, consumer preferences and of course the % of D's, D+'s etc on-board per cruise. That little swipe of the seapass is a gateway into passenger movement. 

• Like 2

On 8/31/2019 at 4:39 PM, grapau27 said:

Great idea. Have SL for Suite Guests only. We would come back to Royal if that were the case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1