Are there clear waters in Cozumel?

iluvcruises

Was planning on going to Paradise Beach for our stop in Cozumel in November.  But reading some reviews saying the  water may not be clear.  Are there beaches in Cozumel with Crystal clear water like some of the other islands?  Any beaches to recommend with these waters would be greatly appreciated!   Thanks

All the beaches facing west toward the mainland are subject to the tidal flow and currents that go through the channel.  Color of water will vary at times, but no, not a pristine baby blue clear water as islands in the eastern part of the Caribbean.

The beaches on the East side do not allow swimming, with exception of Chen Rio which has a small lagoon portioned off.  Sine this is the side the waves hit, water won't be still and blue either.

On 8/30/2019 at 8:08 AM, iluvcruises said:

Was planning on going to Paradise Beach for our stop in Cozumel in November.  But reading some reviews saying the  water may not be clear.  Are there beaches in Cozumel with Crystal clear water like some of the other islands?  Any beaches to recommend with these waters would be greatly appreciated!   Thanks

All the beaches are going to be similar. How clear the water can be different any time depending on sea conditions. One advantage of Paradise Beach is they have a huge pool. Last time I was there we the ocean water was murky color so we moved to the pool. 

All I can say about this is...the first time I went to Cozumel, I went out on my balcony and I was looking at the most beautiful blue water I had ever seen.  I opened the balcony door and said to my husband "you have got to get out here and see the color of this water".  I will never forget that day!

Cozumel is world famous for its scuba diving and one of the reasons is the crystal clear water.  It is always clear.  BUT if you are on a beach, with wave action stirring up the sand, you will get a different experience.

We have been going to Cozumel to scuba dive on vacations (week or more at a time) for 19 years.  This is just one of the reasons.

going snorkeling at Money Bar

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_4-L.jpg

this is in 15' deep water in front of Money Bar.

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_9-L.jpg

And if you want to see a shallow video I took a few years ago:

this was 15-25' deep, right off shore at a dive resort where we stay on a bad weather day.  Yes, it was a bad weather day, so lots of current and sandy visibility.... but still crystal clear.

Enjoy.

robin

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't mind a boat ride, take an excursion to Passion Island just off the northern end of Cozumel.  If it is the setting you desire, wife and I have always experienced clear Caribbean blue waters and nice sandy beaches.  Can be busy (never felt crowded to me), but it is close and there are no vendors.

If you really want to make your friends/family envious, take the excursion that goes to Tulum (mainland).  It is the site of an excavated Mayan city overlooking a cliff right next to the ocean.  There is a stairway that takes you down the cliff to a short stretch of beach that I can't even describe.  You won't have a lot of time (it is a far piece), but we didn't feel rushed and were able to get pictures that Caribbean dreams are made of.