Royal Caribbean passengers stranded in Italy passports stolen

On 8/31/2019 at 1:04 PM, tullers said:

What "exception" do you expect Royal Caribbean to make?  The cannot permit anyone to travel without proper credentials, per various jurisdictions.  Unfortunate circumstances but has nothing to do with Royal Caribbean at all.  This is just one of many reasons why I purchase travel insurance - sh*t happens!

Outside N American & the Caribbean:  No passport?  No travel.

Seriously? Gee, I don’t know, how about refunding the family? 

I know, I know, “but the CRUISE CONTRACT SAYS!!!!” Like I said, it would be nice for RC to make an “exception” for them. 

52 minutes ago, BigHouseFootball said:

I know, I know, “but the CRUISE CONTRACT SAYS!!!!” Like I said, it would be nice for RC to make an “exception” for them. 

52 minutes ago, BigHouseFootball said:

Actually, my argument is more basic than that: the cruise line offers ALL passengers the opportunity to purchase travel insurance.  These people had to make a  conscious decision not to purchase insurance.

Why should the cruise line eat the loss?  They are losing money by having several empty staterooms anyway. The cruise line did nothing to justify loss of revenue.  The hotel should be doing a whole lot to make it right - not RCL

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BigHouseFootball said:

If they do it for this family the line would not end.  I'm saying this as someone who lost a passport and wallet and could have been in their place.   Btw once they got new passports they could have flown to the next port to join their cruise.  They were going to have to get new passports I assume before heading home.   It was what we planned to do if I wasn't able to get new passport.  Dh did tease that he was going to board without me!

So? Royal is in the hospitality industry, something they regularly forget. You make exceptions in hospitality. And I doubt families would be lining up because their safe was literally tipped from their hotel room. 

Again, an exception. Not the new normal. Think of the positive PR Royal would of gotten from this. It’s like when a baby is born on a plane and the airline gives the kid free flights for life. 

7 hours ago, BigHouseFootball said:

So? Royal is in the hospitality industry, something they regularly forget. You make exceptions in hospitality. And I doubt families would be lining up because their safe was literally tipped from their hotel room. 

Again, an exception. Not the new normal. Think of the positive PR Royal would of gotten from this. It’s like when a baby is born on a plane and the airline gives the kid free flights for life. 

Royal can't make the exception as they are required by each country they enter to follow the rules.  Not Royal's choice.

12 hours ago, BigHouseFootball said:

Having been in the hospitality industry all my life, "making exceptions" is nowhere in our playbook.  We accommodate the guest however possible and take responsibility where we have failed.

What we do not do is insure the customer for their losses outside our control.  This is what you are advocating the cruiseline should do under the misguided theory that "it's good PR".  Should that hold true, there would no longer be a need for travel insurance because passengers/guests could simply expect reimbursement from the company under the "exception rule".

Thinking that "exception" wouldn't become the new normal is short-sided.  Under your theory Person 1 gets reimbursed because their passport is stolen.  Person 2 comes along having lost theirs and isn't reimbursed because the first was only an exception. Imagine the PR nightmare that would result from that decision after supposedly getting good PR from making the first.  Person 3 comes along and says "I broke my leg and can't travel.... you made an exception for the passport people,  why not me?".  See where this could lead?

Essentially, your position is the business should eat the cost because they are a business with pockets to save the poor suffering guest who can't afford the loss that wasn't insured.  Let's send the message no traveller needs insurance because the company will just make an exception and refund for "good PR".

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BigHouseFootball said:

There wouldn´t have been any positive PR, because it wouldn´t have been an interesting enough Story for the media to pick up on if Royal had issued a full refund. 

The "negative" PR is still a good PR for RCI. I for example applaude to a Company who does not give away freebies for People who decided to not take out insurance. I don´t want to be hit with higher cruise fares for such "exceptions" you are Talking About. 

This Story is not really About RCI.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 9:57 PM, BigHouseFootball said:

This is one of those extraordinary situations that you would hope the travel company (this case Royal) would make an exception and help the family out. The positive news coverage would be great PR.  

I don’t believe Royal Caribbean has the ability to override government regulations. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BigHouseFootball said:

Just to add to previous comments...there are always threads asking for an exception.  "Unexpected illness," can't travel, why no exception? " Vacation cancelled by work," can't make cruise, why no exception.  "Family member passed away," why no exception. " Snowstorm cancelled flight," missed cruise why no exception?  Where to you draw the "exception" line?  No one willingly wants to miss a cruise, so in most cases it's something unpleasant that causes this to happen.  That's actually the POINT of Cruise Insurance.  If these people had been insured they wouldn't need "good PR."  

Not unfeeling, just realistic.  My mother passed away a week before we were scheduled to cruise.  Fortunately I had insurance and was fully reimbursed for my cruise costs.  That's EXACTLY why I purchased the insurance.  

22 hours ago, BigHouseFootball said:

It is NOT up to Royal.

They may NOT carry a passenger into a port in another country without a passport or covered under some agreement such as Schengen or WHTI.

On 8/30/2019 at 9:37 AM, SC_Floaters said:

Add this to another reason to get trip insurance... Hope they had it covered.

If they had real travel insurance, they will almost certainly be covered for all of the financial loss.  This is not only a reason to purchase trip insurance but also to make sure that the product you purchase is actually labeled "insurance", not "travel protection".  In the United States, if an insurance company tries to deny an unusual claim like this, the insured has recourse to the regulators in the state where the policy was issued.  However, products that are not actually labeled "insurance" are not subject to those regulators.

Edited by actuarian

5 hours ago, SRF said:

It is NOT up to Royal.

They may NOT carry a passenger into a port in another country without a passport or covered under some agreement such as Schengen or WHTI.

Ok I’ll say this for the 10th time.

Not telling Royal to let them on. Telling Royal to refund the family. 

But it then again I’m asking a big corporation to have a heart over making their bottom line. The only major company I know of that does that consistently is Disney. And that’s why they are the best. 

1 hour ago, BigHouseFootball said:

But it then again I’m asking a big corporation to have a heart over making their bottom line. The only major company I know of that does that consistently is Disney. And that’s why they are the best. 

I'll say it again, while it sounds nice and simple it's not.  Lots of people would be asking for that help.  When I lost my passport and wallet never expected Royal to solve my problem. Dh even says my wallet with passport was probably stolen, but don't know.  I was lucky and able to get a new temporary passport that Saturday and board as scheduled on Sunday.   

4 hours ago, BigHouseFootball said:

I don´t know About Disney being the best, but one Thing I know for sure, cruising with them is much more expensive and Maybe that´s the Price I would have to pay for such Goodwill from the Company. It´s certainly not the Price I want to pay. I rather have it the way RCI handles it. 

RCI certainly didn´t do anything wrong here and I don´t see it as bad PR either. Every rational Person will see this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BigHouseFootball said:

In 2018 over 6 million passengers sailed on Royal Caribbean.  Let's just say 1% had an emergency and cancelled the cruise without reimbursement.  That would be  SIXTY THOUSAND people!!!!!  I bet EVERY ONE had an emotional and legitimate reason to cancel.  Couldn't get out  of work at the last minute death in the family, unexpected illness, house fire, car accident, missed flight due to snowstorm,  lost or forgotten documentation,  stolen passport, etc. etc. etc.   Let's say each person paid $1000  per cruise.  And Royal Caribbean reimbursed the loss out of "good will."  That means that Royal Caribbean would lose about $60 MILLION in lost revenue.  Try explaining THAT to your board of directors!  

That's EXACTLY why travel insurance is sold and should be purchased.  If someone decides to NOT purchase insurance, they have NO claim against Royal Caribbean.  It was THEIR choice to go uninsured.  They sadly pay the consequences.  

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 3

On 9/7/2019 at 7:18 AM, StolidCruiser said:

sentially, your position is the business should eat the cos

17 hours ago, BigHouseFootball said:

That would also help to explain why Disney Cruise Line fares are 2 to 3 times higher than other mass market cruise lines.  Although, having worked for DCL for 5 years I'm not so sure they would make the exception you are asking for.

On 8/30/2019 at 6:57 PM, BigHouseFootball said:

This is one of those extraordinary situations that you would hope the travel company (this case Royal) would make an exception and help the family out. The positive news coverage would be great PR.  

On 9/2/2019 at 3:11 PM, BigHouseFootball said:

Like others, I have to disagree. I’m sure that plenty of people have their passports stolen and don’t turn to the media to get somebody else to pay for their lost cruise, which I sense is the case here.

I carry my passport when I’m out of the US. I even carry it in the US if I’m on a cruise where the next port of call is another country. So far, so good, even when the guy “helping” us after coffee was poured on us from above in Barcelona tried to get into my purse.

On 9/7/2019 at 10:48 PM, BigHouseFootball said:

And the next sob story?  And the next one?

Grandma died, so I missed my cruise, refund me.

I got sick and missed my cruise.  Refund me.

etc, etc, etc

Nope,  Nothing to do with Royal.  

Buy travel insurance.

On 8/30/2019 at 11:21 AM, njkruzer said:

My passport was lost from my bag on a Friday in Copengagen.  US embassy closed by the time we arrived that afternoon. I had a copy but not much good.  Filled out police report, got new photos and was told to return on Monday.  Ship was leaving Sunday.   Called our children in the states who reached a congressman whose office intervened and on Saturday I got a new passport.   That Friday evening our TA  and hotel concierge were working on getting us to the next port.  Everyone tried to get us on our way.  When I got the passport on Saturday I called RCCL to give them the new passport number.  When we got off in Scotland the Scottish officer recognized it was new and confirmed that she had the correct passport number.

We carry passport cards. They are not valid for international travel, but they make it easier to get a new passport.

3 minutes ago, rcclmiami said:

We carry passport cards. They are not valid for international travel, but they make it easier to get a new passport.

I keep a copy of the passport in a separate place and it did help once we got someone at embassy willing to come in on a Saturday to make me a new temporary passport.   For me the issue was the passport was lost on a Friday afternoon and the embassy is closed except for emergencies and a lost passport is not an emergency in their eyes!  

• 4 weeks later...