So many choices of things to do...

iluvcruises

Will be in Rotan in November on our cruise.  Hours there are 10am-6pm.  Some of the things we wanted to do are ziplining, seeing the sloths/monkeys, visiting one of the beaches and maybe even visiting the chocolate factory, lol.   I know, a lot to do for one day.  Can anyone give me their suggestions on their favorite things they did while in Rotan?   I need to prioritize what is a must see or do.  Any suggestions for a tour company or where to zip line would be a help too!   Thanks for any info!

Most of the activities available on the island can be done about anywhere, save for what is underwater. Snorkeling and diving one of the best in the Caribbean. 

There are plenty of threads here about tour companies Rony's, Bodden, Christopher...click through their websites and see what fits best for your party. 

You zip-line choice maybe determined by location and the other activities you choose to experience. 

Daniel Johnson's is the better choice for monkey and sloth. 

Edited by Guest 2000

I was not using the right device to post this eariler. From a thread on Trip Advisor, posted by an expat who has been on the island for close to ten years. 

"I have never seen of heard of "Victor Bodden's Monkey Business" in Sandy Bay. He is a tour operator, and a very good one. However, I assume that he purchased a couple of monkey's and a sloth and has them in his back yard. Daniel Johonson's is an actual sanctioned and permitted rescue/zoo, which is located in French harbour."

Victors Monkey Business has been there for at.least 10 years. The guys in our group did zipliniing at his farm while we enjoyed the birds, monkryd. Very well kept. My son has a house on the island and is going to check it out on a non ship day

We have been to Honduras 10+ times.  You can do all of the things listed in one day.  Contact Rony and book a private driver for the day.  South Shore Canopy and West Bay are very close.  This is our favorite zipline and most spectacular snorkeling location.  Walk right in from the beach.  We've seen such a great variety of fish there including the largest parrotfish.

Chocolate factory is not worth the time, imho.  It's not really a "factory", but a shop where you can see how chocolate is made.  You can try free samples.  I personally wouldn't visit again, but it is between Manawakie and South Shore, so you could easily add it.  It would probably add about 30-45 minutes to your day.

20 minutes to Manawakie     1 hour there

25-30 minutes to South Shore Zipline  1 hour there

5-10minutes to West Bay  2-3 hours there

25-30 minutes back to pier

Totally doable.  Sounds like a great day to me!  We love all of these activities and have done them many times.  Book with Rony.  He is a great guide.  He will make sure you have a great day.  I wouldn't take a chance booking with anyone else.  You could get assigned a new driver or someone that speaks little English.  I've never read a bad comment about Rony.  He's so friendly and knowledgeable.  Your driver can make all the difference in your experience in Roatan - use the best!

14 hours ago, #1TravelMom said:

We have been to Honduras 10+ times.  You can do all of the things listed in one day.  Contact Rony and book a private driver for the day.  South Shore Canopy and West Bay are very close.  This is our favorite zipline and most spectacular snorkeling location.  Walk right in from the beach.  We've seen such a great variety of fish there including the largest parrotfish.

Chocolate factory is not worth the time, imho.  It's not really a "factory", but a shop where you can see how chocolate is made.  You can try free samples.  I personally wouldn't visit again, but it is between Manawakie and South Shore, so you could easily add it.  It would probably add about 30-45 minutes to your day.

20 minutes to Manawakie     1 hour there

25-30 minutes to South Shore Zipline  1 hour there

5-10minutes to West Bay  2-3 hours there

25-30 minutes back to pier

Totally doable.  Sounds like a great day to me!  We love all of these activities and have done them many times.  Book with Rony.  He is a great guide.  He will make sure you have a great day.  I wouldn't take a chance booking with anyone else.  You could get assigned a new driver or someone that speaks little English.  I've never read a bad comment about Rony.  He's so friendly and knowledgeable.  Your driver can make all the difference in your experience in Roatan - use the best!

I agree driver/tour guide makes all the difference BUT not everyone that books with Rony gets Rony, so you run the same risk booking with him as any other company.

we have found all the companies to be quite comparable - very similar price, reasonably efficient booking system, fine if you want a standard tour, not so great if you just want transport. 

The ease of how it works out “on the day” is very dependent on the driver you are actually designated. Our experience with Rony’s driver was OK but certainly not great.

6 minutes ago, iluvcruises said:

Can anyone who has done something like this with a private driver tell me what the cost was?  Do you pay the driver and then pay all your own cost (ziplining, monkeys, etc) or does the driver give one total cost?  Thanks for any info.

Just google website for a couple of operators like Bodden and Rony. Prices are laid out for different options - private or group tour. Add-ons are usually listed as well for entrance fees but email operator to confirm.

Price will depend on number of people in your party if you choose a private tour. In my experience all tour operators on Roatan have very similar pricing structure.

we have always paid entrance fees ourselves and paid the driver at the end of the day for tour.

Edited by c-leg5