River Cruising and Grandchildren

deec

Hi😁 there are some family river cruises now.  I can't remember which lines though. Maybe do a google search but as for a regular river cruise? In my opinion they would probably be the only ones on the boat in their age group. Only you know your grandchildren though. There aren't on board activities or anything.

I would find out about the family river cruises.

Thanks, Roz.  I am wondering if anyone has taken one and can comment on their experiences and ages of the kids.

WE love the no kids aspect of Viking in both Ocean and River but thought it might be an easy way to introduce grandkids to Europe with little hassle of packing, meals etc.  The Uniworld product looks like fun for kids !  Not sure about 3 in a cabin etc....first hand knowledge would be great.

Edited by deec
?

River cruises don’t generally lend themselves to children. You will  likely not be able to have three in one room on a river cruise, unless you are in a suite . There are no interconnecting rooms. There are no pools or kids clubs.  Activities are almost nonexistent.  The attraction is the ports. There are no babysitting services, high chairs etc.

Only you know your grandchildren and it’s possible that they would enjoy a river cruise. However, Many have age limits, Viking will only allow passengers 18 and older. AMA is 12 and over except on select voyages (they partner with Disney to offer a family vacation once or twice a year for children four and up).  Uniworld is four and over. Tauck is five. Crystal  is six months but very explicit in that it does not offer any child friendly features nor encourage children. 

Your best bet is a cruise designated specifically for families.  

Cruise critic has a great article to get you started here: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2301

good luck!

Edited by hehny

You may also want to check out CroisiEurope which has a Family Club and offers reduced prices for children under 16 on certain cruises.  They may be a more affordable option. 

Roz

If you don't want a full-on family cruise, AMA's newest ships have connecting cabins and cabins rated higher than 2 persons.  They designed these ships to accommodate the Disney sailings, but those cabins are available on every [e.g. non-Disney] AMA sailing.  AmaKristina, AmaLea, AmaMora, AmaStella and AmaViola all have triple occupancy cabins and connecting cabins that accommodate 4 or 5.

• Like 1

I would advise to stick to a family/children theme cruise only.  There is nothing whatsoever for children on most cruises.  And even if the line has an 18 year old minimum, most teens/young adults would be bored stiff on a river cruise.