Recent Cruisers: Seaweed/Maya Chan Update

RCCL Fan

On 9/6/2019 at 12:52 PM, c-leg5 said:

I would suggest you go and give it a try to satisfy your own mind and curiosity.

Personally I feel it is good for little kids, adults and possibly some teens. It is a place for adults to relax and enjoy themselves. My 8 year old grandson would not be happy not going in the sea, not being allowed in a pool that he could see and having to just sit on the beach. I could see it turning into an iPad day which for me would be a disappointing use of a day for him, but he would probably disagree! There is a giant jenga which may hold his interest for a while and a tree house. There are Kayaks and paddle boards which are good for older kids but he would require constant supervision which would not be relaxing for me.  You know your kids and their abilities best and you are obviously younger, with more energy than me. You also have two kids who can play with each other. Maya Chan is a well organized, no hassle type of day - it isn't for me on every visit, but I can understand why some people find it a safe retreat.

The price is good so I would say try it, your kids may have a great time but if you have to leave early so be it - you will know for yourself. You may find it is a Sargassum free day (which will not help with any guarantees when you take your friends). If you are OK with the seagrass which is always there to some extent, independent of Sargassum (I have waded/swam to the floaty chairs fine) but you will have to experience it yourself to decide. Some kids will freak out by the seagrass, some will not be deterred.

Costa Maya in general has limited facilities for in-between kids but other places suggested on here that you might like to research, but I haven’t tried, include the water park, Bacalar Lagoon, the aviary at the port.

Just wanted to add that I contacted Maya Chan and they confirmed that the pool is open for everyone, including kids!

55 minutes ago, Albinroo said:

Just wanted to add that I contacted Maya Chan and they confirmed that the pool is open for everyone, including kids!

Thanks - I wondered how long that would last. Could be a good diversion if there is a lot if seaweed as long as there aren’t too many on a given day. It is a very small pool.

I would guess most people use the pool for a limited amount of time just to cool off. So should hopefully be a good diversion as you said, in case of too much seaweed. We are booked to go there for the first time in two weeks, looking forward to it!!