Alcohol in Checked Luggage or Carry On?

ricka47

At the risk of asking the same question twice (but in different ways!), I know what the official alcohol policy is and what the unofficial one appears to be.  I’m an India Pale Ale fan which doesn’t appear to be on the bar menu and I’d like to have one or two on the balcony occasionally (never outside the cabin).

I’m planning to put some cans (bottles might break) in my checked luggage within plastic zip bags (we’re not flying).  Is that OK or is it better to carry them on?

It really doesn’t matter!

1. If you arrive at the ship to early, your luggage may well sit on the dock for quite a while waiting to be loaded. If it’s hot that may not be good for the beer.

2. If you board we’ll before your cabin is ready, you’ll be lugging all that weight around with you, everywhere you go , until you can enter your cabin.

3. If you do as we do and don’t arrive at the ship until at least 2:30-3:00 were all those issues disappear, then I’d put it in check baggage and let them lug it instead of me. It won’t get stolen!

Good points.  I'm going to have to be lugging a laptop around anyway since I teach online and have to keep in touch with my students.  So, getting there a little later and putting the ale (sounds better than beer somehow) in the checked bags sounds better to me - thanks!

if you put it in a checked bag  I would hope they do not get tossed too much by the porters & explode in your case

Just  saying...

have you seen how they load the bags at the port 😱

I've never brought beer on board with me but I have put wine in my carry-on as well as my checked luggage.  But I have special insulated bags that I put them in.  Nothing has been broken yet ... not even the first time when I just wrapped a bottle of wine in several articles of clothing.  But it's better with the insulated bags!

Of course, Lyn does have an excellent point about the way porters can toss luggage around ...

I guess since I have to cart the laptop around for this trip anyway,  I could just put it and the beer in my roller carry on (instead of just the laptop case) and keep it all with me.  That would alleviate any "blowing up" concerns.  I wouldn't want my clothes to smell like stale beer for 11 nights although that was OK when I was in college!

Edited by ricka47
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, retafcruiser said:

Have you asked Oceania if the bars carry IPAs? They are popular enough that I would expect a few brands for purchase on board.

I haven't asked O and it's not like I won't drink something else.  But, I did see a few posted bar menus from recent cruises and didn't see it on there - does anyone know?

It's funny - I feel so pedestrian now liking IPA.  But, I discovered IPA many years ago while working in Alaska before IPA became "cool."

Quick FYI

Even if Oceania does not normally carry a beverage, your Travel Agent should be able to  contact Special Services to have it laid in for your cruise.

After such a request, the mini bar in your cabin will be  well supplied with that beverage.

Edited by StanandJim

Bring a case of your favorite IPA ... stick a luggage tag on it and let the porters handle taking care of it. We have frequently brought cases of wine onboard and have done exactly this. They have always arrived promptly at our stateroom door along with our luggage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigmjh said:

Bring a case of your favorite IPA ... stick a luggage tag on it and let the porters handle taking care of it. We have frequently brought cases of wine onboard and have done exactly this. They have always arrived promptly at our stateroom door along with our luggage.

Never thought of that.  These are things that have always been forbidden on the "mainstream" lines!

2 hours ago, ricka47 said:

Never thought of that.  These are things that have always been forbidden on the "mainstream" lines!

Taking on what you like is fine, as long as it is understood that any imported beverages are   for in cabin consumption only-

No such thing as "capage" for Beer.  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, wally_bushy said:

The only problem with bringing your own beer is that the mini fridge is not particularly cold.

It might not worry others but I like really cold beer😉

You could probably keep a few chilling in an ice bucket.  Or do like they do in Thailand when it's 100 degrees and 95% humidity and pour it over ice 🙂

On 8/31/2019 at 1:51 PM, bigmjh said:

We have contemplated this with a case of wine and have never followed through.  Would be curious to hear from pinotlover.  Is this a viable option on embarkation day?

Thanks y'all,

Katie

carried on 6 bottles of wine, in a canvas wine carrier, all bought at the great wine shop at Selfridge in London, and no one said a word.  (I think I could have brought more wine with no problem, and I probably could have brought liquor on board, too.).

The luggage porter at check in at Southampton recommended that I carry it on board, and it was not too inconvenient to do so. 

Since the Oceania official policy is that you can’t bring liquor on board, I ordered a bottle of Grey Goose from the ship’s Bon Voyage menu ($100), and a 1 liter bottle was in my cabin upon arrival.  (If you are a Martini drinker, this will translate into a huge savings - Martinis are excluded from the happy hour 2 for 1 deals.)

On 8/31/2019 at 11:51 AM, bigmjh said:

This is what we have done several times - usually beats us to the cabin!

• Like 1

Any hard spirits - vodka, whiskey, etc. - may also be brought onboard for consumption in your stateroom. We have never been stopped or questioned when doing this. BTW - you may also bring wine, etc. onboard at port stops (we frequently did this when in France).

Katie;

I am not one to carry anything I don’t have to. I check luggage at the airport and don’t play the carry on game that is now popular. That as a reference.

I have dropped off at the dock both full cases of wine and six packs around the world with no problems. They have always been delivered to the door of the cabin with our other baggage. This includes Southampton last month. The only two places I personally know of trouble occurring are NYC ( Manhattan) and Seattle. A friend lost an entire case of wine in NYC, and another one ( funny enough) they opened up the box and stole all the reds and let the whites go through. I have heard similar ancedotal stories about the NYC Cruise Terminal.

My counsel would be to check the wine at the docks and not lug it up the gangplanks every where except for American ports. There, I would carry the case myself.

38 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Katie;

I am not one to carry anything I don’t have to. I check luggage at the airport and don’t play the carry on game that is now popular. That as a reference.

I have dropped off at the dock both full cases of wine and six packs around the world with no problems. They have always been delivered to the door of the cabin with our other baggage. This includes Southampton last month. The only two places I personally know of trouble occurring are NYC ( Manhattan) and Seattle. A friend lost an entire case of wine in NYC, and another one ( funny enough) they opened up the box and stole all the reds and let the whites go through. I have heard similar ancedotal stories about the NYC Cruise Terminal.

My counsel would be to check the wine at the docks and not lug it up the gangplanks every where except for American ports. There, I would carry the case myself.

This will make DH very happy!  Will give it a try outside of US.

Thanks,

Katie

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Most ship lines only let you bring wine on board.  No beer or liquor.  Have you determined that you can bring beer on Oceania?

DON

YES you can bring on spirits & beer  for use in your cabin