Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Windsurfboy

New Grills suites brochure , Grills dining

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

 

 

The Princess and Queens dinner menus ard now identical they use the same kitchen same chefs for menu items

 

Except for off menu ordering there is no difference between QG and PG restaurants,  

 

Including both alcs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

 

 

The Princess and Queens dinner menus ard now identical they use the same kitchen same chefs for menu items

 

Except for off menu ordering there is no difference between QG and PG restaurants,  

It has always been thus but there have been subtle menu differences in the past.

 

I will check on any differences later in the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had  look in July, only occasionally was the the odd different dish, to all purposes identical. Which makes sense,  doubling the number of dishes a kitchen has to cook is not the best for quality or wastage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just disembarked QE and in QG guests on tables nearby were off menu ordering at most meals, lobster cooked in Pernod, crepe Suzette, raised pies, special cheeses. I have dietary issues and if menu choice was a problem, I have allergies to shellfish and spices, then the assistant maitre d would stress when I pre ordered that I could order off menu items. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to bring you up to date.  I emailed Cunard, saying that given that the statement about off menu ordering in QG was no longer on their website's description of QG dining  nor was it in current brochures. If I  booked a cruise for 2021, which are just about to be announced , would it still be available then.

 

The answer I recieved was that off menu ordering was currently alive and well and still available in QG  

 

They did not specically address my concern about the future, 2021. However as my question was specifically about a 2021 booking,  I take it that off menu ordering will still be available then.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Just to bring you up to date.  I emailed Cunard, saying that given that the statement about off menu ordering in QG was no longer on their website's description of QG dining  nor was it in current brochures. If I  booked a cruise for 2021, which are just about to be announced , would it still be available then.

 

The answer I recieved was that off menu ordering was currently alive and well and still available in QG  

 

They did not specically address my concern about the future, 2021. However as my question was specifically about a 2021 booking,  I take it that off menu ordering will still be available then.

 

 

 

The main dinner menus aren’t to my mind, quite as similar as suggested.

The QG dinner menu had an extra appetiser and the entrees have a few extra offerings plus there is the QG pre dessert and the occasional hot savoury, neither of which were on the PG menu when I looked.
The a la carte menus differ too. There are a few extra entrees on the QG a la carte, most noticeably the Chateaubriand which is a to pay for extra in PG, along of course, with any caviar, if not on the daily menu.
 
I have photos of both of the a la cart menus,  and the main menus on one particular day in order to make the comparison. I can’t post the photos, but I can make the comparisons and can list the items, if needs be.
As to the lack of mention for off menu QG dining, that was never a concern of mine. I knew it would still be offered in the foreseeable future and didn’t need to see it written down anywhere. I wasn’t disappointed over the last two weeks on Victoria. The staff were as brilliant as ever and we were asked every meal time if we wanted to order anything not on the menu.
 
 
Edited by Victoria2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2019 at 3:52 PM, Victoria2 said:

I have photos of both of the a la cart menus,  and the main menus on one particular day in order to make the comparison. I can’t post the photos, but I can make the comparisons and can list the items, if needs be.

Hi @Victoria2

If you have a technical problem posting the photos, I can try if you could email them to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've looked carefully at the example menus on the Cunard web site FAQ, there are some differences between QG and PG

 

1) ala carte

 

PG has 6 starters QG, has one extra starter, Venison carpaccio. 

 

Entrees, 

 

order on the evening 8 Identical choices

 

Order before lunch QG has  larger choice extra

Lobster thermador

Beef Wellington 

Chateaubriand 

 

2) Daily changing menu

 

PG 6 Starters ,QG one extra smoked salmon

 

Entrees  5 Indentical main courses

 

Desserts

 

QG has pre dessert sorbet, otherwise the 6 desserts are identical 

 

Whether you think these are really significant is up to you.

 

But in my opinion the biggest benefit of QG dining is off menu ordering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2019 at 2:10 PM, Victoria2 said:

It has always been thus but there have been subtle menu differences in the past.

 

I will check on any differences later in the year.

 

Windsurfer is quite right on the daily menu entrees. I had inexpertly cut and pasted to include 'extra entrees' on the daily QG menu in #33.

The only reason I posted was to differentiate identical menus, to the subtle menu differences I had thought were there and can now confirm.

PG or QG, the food can be recommended, especially, as has been said many times, the 'specials' facility in QG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if I was a newbie considering Cunard, all this talk of off menu orders would make me suspect that a class system not only exists but is pushed and tested to its limits when the menu is already so lovely. I do feel for the staff in Grills dining room. Why on earth would they even offer a very considered menu if they wanted passengers to order off menu?  I doubt you would see this is any high end restaurant ashore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, cpc3639 said:

I think if I was a newbie considering Cunard, all this talk of off menu orders would make me suspect that a class system not only exists but is pushed and tested to its limits when the menu is already so lovely. I do feel for the staff in Grills dining room. Why on earth would they even offer a very considered menu if they wanted passengers to order off menu?  I doubt you would see this is any high end restaurant ashore. 

 

 

 

Why do people  keep bringing up class system with Cunard. Every cruise ship, (and hotels) work on the more you pay the more you get principle. Some e.g the Haven on NCL also have separate dining rooms and  have separate decks and reserved seats at theatre.

 

To those who moan about QG. Anyone who books a cruise  in any cabin should understand that they are getting the benefit of a holiday that many many people cannot afford. Yet that doesn't stop them going on a cruise.  So what's the problem with others having a bigger cabin and other benefits.

 

As for pushing the off menu ordering to the limits , the limits are what you pay for. You have to order 24 hours in advance Cunard have extra chefs to deal with it, and it actually makes the waiters life easier .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, cpc3639 said:

I think if I was a newbie considering Cunard, all this talk of off menu orders would make me suspect that a class system not only exists but is pushed and tested to its limits when the menu is already so lovely. I do feel for the staff in Grills dining room. Why on earth would they even offer a very considered menu if they wanted passengers to order off menu?  I doubt you would see this is any high end restaurant ashore. 

 

I'm not sure what is has to do with the class system that the most expensive restaurant gives you the most choice. However, in my experience, most people dine from the menu most of the time. A lot of off menu requests are for menu items on a different night. My only request in my recent fourteen day cruise was for dulce de leche ice cream, which has been on the menu in the past,  but didn't appear this time. But then I don't like caviar or lobster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2019 at 7:52 PM, cpc3639 said:

I think if I was a newbie considering Cunard, all this talk of off menu orders would make me suspect that a class system not only exists but is pushed and tested to its limits when the menu is already so lovely. I do feel for the staff in Grills dining room. Why on earth would they even offer a very considered menu if they wanted passengers to order off menu?  I doubt you would see this is any high end restaurant ashore. 

As others have said, there is no "class system" in operation, simply a basic principle, operative in other domains, that the more you pay the more you get to choose. First class flights often work like this - as you are paying much more, you can often decide to eat when you like and on some Middle Eastern airlines you can even order "off menu" based on the ingredients they have on board. Cunard is the same.

 

We have sailed in Britannia, PG and QG. My last QG fortnight cruise cost us roughly eight times what our last cruise in Britannia cost. It is entirely unsurprising that for that amount of money, guests are looked after to a very high standard indeed. We are always mindful of pressure on the waiting staff and kitchen when making off-menu orders, but are also aware that the staff-to-guest ratio is very high in the Grills, with a number of chefs present just to fulfil off-menu orders.

 

It's also worth keeping in mind something else. Although many QG passengers are not wealthy, some do live a lifestyle where eating in very good restaurants may be quite common. Cunard, in particular in the Queen's Grill, in common with other luxury brands, then need a way of offering "wow factor" . Part of this is undoubtedly in the ingredients used, the standard of service and the ambience on board, but part of their offering at present is being able to have what you fancy. Long may it continue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still confused about what is included for Queens Grill guests relative to alcohol. I understand the offer of wine or liquor in the room but do you pay for alcohol drinks in the Grills Lounge during the day or evening? I also believe that we are allowed to bring on board two bottles of wine if we want to have something we would like to drink in our suite?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, koalakruiser said:

Still confused about what is included for Queens Grill guests relative to alcohol. I understand the offer of wine or liquor in the room but do you pay for alcohol drinks in the Grills Lounge during the day or evening? I also believe that we are allowed to bring on board two bottles of wine if we want to have something we would like to drink in our suite?

Hi koalacruiser, yes you'll be paying for any drinks you have in the bars and lounges and restaurants with the exception of the 'self-serve'-type soft drinks and juices in the buffet. Tea and coffee are also offered with meals FOC.

 

You'll be able to choose two bottles of alcohol to stock your bar and will be supplied soft drinks and beer for your cabin bar, all gratis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Hi koalacruiser, yes you'll be paying for any drinks you have in the bars and lounges and restaurants with the exception of the 'self-serve'-type soft drinks and juices in the buffet. Tea and coffee are also offered with meals FOC.

 

You'll be able to choose two bottles of alcohol to stock your bar and will be supplied soft drinks and beer for your cabin bar, all gratis.

 

Coffee in the QG lounge is complimentary, at least in the day time. Never had it there after dinner so don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

 

Coffee in the QG lounge is complimentary, at least in the day time. Never had it there after dinner so don't know.

On Victoria and Elizabeth, in our experience, whenever the Grills' bar is staffed, tea and coffee are complimentary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a special treat to myself 60th year and Mrs Liberal we booked a Princess grill but were happily upgraded to Q5 for the Transatlantic via Liverpool and Iceland in July. Only ever being in normal class and both being vegetarians my take is this.

 The dining and atmosphere in Britannia is better. Vegetarian and Vegan choices are  no different and certainly not worth paying any extra at all. We moved back to Britannia on a  free transfer to be with my Mom after the Liverpool leg cracking fun on a table for Eight with new American friends. The stateroom was wonderful and we had a lovely party one night for new friends and the butler arranged it all for us. The "Free" bar was great I swapped all the standard lager beer for Real ale no problem I had as much as I could drink along with 2 bottles of gin and numerous bottles of Rose wine for the party and my ladies. The big tub with the bubble machine was fun and overall the stateroom and balcony was really fabulous. The butler was just great he knew we were just having a fun time and was very happy to make us feel at home he brought us breakfast for the Three of us made Three places with the finest china, cutlery and starched clothes and eating in the stateroom was really special....much better than the QG..in my opinion. Concierge room is very good deck 9 it's the place to listen to rich people ask for ridiculous things honestly! you would think what they were asking for was of national importance and the poor concierge staff have to listen to the drivel.. but its quite well used. Deck 11 Grills terrace is a waste of space and its a bit dingy nothing to see or any advantage so might as well put some more cabins here instead.

Deck 7 Grills Lounge is another complete waste of space its a home for the nearly dead I would be tempted to turn this into the casino if I ran Cunard and put more cabins in where the casino is. It serves no purpose and might as well be wiped off the deck plan.

So on the whole if you get a lucky upgrade like we did its fun just for the cabin and booze really. Otherwise its a complete waste of your hard earned I will stick to Britannia for sure going forwards if I live longer. Had a great holiday and love Cunard!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

As a special treat to myself 60th year and Mrs Liberal we booked a Princess grill but were happily upgraded to Q5 for the Transatlantic via Liverpool and Iceland in July. Only ever being in normal class and both being vegetarians my take is this.

 The dining and atmosphere in Britannia is better. Vegetarian and Vegan choices are  no different and certainly not worth paying any extra at all. We moved back to Britannia on a  free transfer to be with my Mom after the Liverpool leg cracking fun on a table for Eight with new American friends. The stateroom was wonderful and we had a lovely party one night for new friends and the butler arranged it all for us. The "Free" bar was great I swapped all the standard lager beer for Real ale no problem I had as much as I could drink along with 2 bottles of gin and numerous bottles of Rose wine for the party and my ladies. The big tub with the bubble machine was fun and overall the stateroom and balcony was really fabulous. The butler was just great he knew we were just having a fun time and was very happy to make us feel at home he brought us breakfast for the Three of us made Three places with the finest china, cutlery and starched clothes and eating in the stateroom was really special....much better than the QG..in my opinion. Concierge room is very good deck 9 it's the place to listen to rich people ask for ridiculous things honestly! you would think what they were asking for was of national importance and the poor concierge staff have to listen to the drivel.. but its quite well used. Deck 11 Grills terrace is a waste of space and its a bit dingy nothing to see or any advantage so might as well put some more cabins here instead.

Deck 7 Grills Lounge is another complete waste of space its a home for the nearly dead I would be tempted to turn this into the casino if I ran Cunard and put more cabins in where the casino is. It serves no purpose and might as well be wiped off the deck plan.

So on the whole if you get a lucky upgrade like we did its fun just for the cabin and booze really. Otherwise its a complete waste of your hard earned I will stick to Britannia for sure going forwards if I live longer. Had a great holiday and love Cunard!

 

 

 

As someone who eats meat, I've found the Grills to offer superior dining than Britannia. Not that the latter is bad, but Grills is something special. But be warned: eating like aristocrats on long voyages leaves a taste of regret. Either opt for lighter meals every second day or trade the deck chair for the squat rack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

1. The dining and atmosphere in Britannia is better. Vegetarian and Vegan choices are  no different and certainly not worth paying any extra at all.
 

2. Deck 11 Grills terrace is a waste of space and its a bit dingy nothing to see or any advantage so might as well put some more cabins here instead.

 

3. Deck 7 Grills Lounge is another complete waste of space its a home for the nearly dead 
 

4. Had a great holiday and love Cunard!

 

 

Thanks for the detailed review ... My thoughts on some of your observations ..

 

1. I thought the atmosphere in QG was spot on - we sat next to a sociable Couple at the next table and had lots of good conversation.

I’d agree the standard vegetarian and vegan options are not much different to Britannia but don’t forget you can order off menu in QG so you could get them to come up with some better alternatives.

 

2. I think the terrace is great on a sunny day and found the hot tub very sociable.

 

3. Grills lounge makes a good alternative for afternoon tea and is a good place for post dinner coffee and petit fours.  It was pretty busy on our last crossing.

 

4. On that we both agree!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...