No HAL Senior Officers allowed on the Meet & Greet events?

HeinBloed

In 2014, I was "lucky", none of my fellow-cruisers appeared and I was the only one from cruisecritic.com with all officers incl. Captain on EURODAM.

In 2016, at least the Hotel Director appeared with a few of his team on KONINGSDAM.

Today, I learned, HAL Seattle would not allow their Senior Officers to attend the Meet & Greet - is there a specific story behind?

Recently on Azamara, NCL, RCI, Celebrity some of the Officers always appeared. But HAL now? What happened in the last three years that they are not allowed to attend anymore?

2014-HAL-EURODAM-20605.jpg

I am not really sure about that statement that officers are “not allowed” to attend meet and greet 

I DO know I was told that since there are now various chats , ask the (fill in a management/officer position) - morning coffee chats I believe they call them - for people to get to hear about the officers, their position,  and question/answer time.

I was told that the meet and greet was a way for groups (especially online groups) to get to know one another, chat, etc. and by having officers there, it limited the time for the participants to intermingle,    

Since there are many more groups on board then say 10-15 years ago, I think it is just overwhelming for the officers and management to schedule time to present themselves at all these functions,    And again, there are various scheduled talks where you can learn about officers.

Carol

The meet and greet form (I do meet and greets) state that the officers will not be attending (and they rarely do), however, I still had the Captain come to one of ours (Captain Van Eerten).  I literally hung my head in shame, I was so embarrassed when one roll call member started to beeotch about things that were beyond his control (our weather, changing itinerary, etc.).

He handled it well but I could not deflect her because of the size of our group (160).

Although this is rare on my roll calls it was a painful moment and I did apologize to him.

I totally get why they don’t come if there is much of that malarkey.

In fairness, we had him at another roll call with every officer and even the Chief Chef with lovely drinks, treats for the children and munchies for us and this did not happen.  It has rarely happened at our meet and greets and the one other time it did we were able to deflect it.  But it’s awkward.  And if it’s awkward for most of us, think about the officers.

Jacqui, I've had the same experience at some of the meet and greets I have attended. Yet, I have a picture of Innlady1 and myself with Captain Scott on the Noordam and Copper John attended one of our meet and greets on Maasdam. Some people just use the venue to complain.

Over the last 5-6 cruises we have been on, only once has an officer been at the meet & greet and that was a junior one.  While I do appreciate it when they show up, to me its not a big deal - I am more there to meet my fellow cruisers and put faces to names I have conversed with over the past months.  I have made some lasting friendships at these events and of course the roll calls.

• Like 1

While I understand the consternation of those who don't feel the Meet and Greets should be a venue for complaints, I can't help but think that HAL passengers are not different from passengers on other cruise lines in regard to behavior at these events, AND YET other cruise lines continue to not only ask but encourage officers to attend them.

While it doesn't particularly mean a lot to me to "rub elbows" with the ship's officers and staff, it does send a certain message -- I see it as a message of both tradition and hospitality. I didn't realize how such interactions can influence a feeling onboard, but when I've sailed on Celebrity and seen how affable and accessible the officers make themselves throughout the cruise, I can't help but contrast that with the air on HAL. Quite different. To me it speaks of avoidance, of being unwilling to engage.

I'm well aware that the captain and ship's officers have plenty of duties and responsibilities -- but in reality, these types of interactions have always been part of the duty of the captain and senior officers on ships for  the history of cruising. 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 4

I see the M & G as a time for us passengers to introduce ourselves and chat.  If an office/junior officer shows up, okay, but it usually stops the conversation cold, as people want to gripe about some aspect of the cruise or ask the officer endless questions.  

As several posters have pointed out, the talks given by some of the senior officers aboard the ships allow for a question/comment period, which means officers don't have to attend every event sponsored by this or that group.  Who knows how many of these groups are onboard during a specific cruise or how many have requested an officer's presence.  I believe the interaction between passengers and officers is now limited and is probably a corporate decision.  

On our last cruise, we had an officer "host" our table during the second formal night.  He was very pleasant, from India, and we talked at length about life in India.  Toward the end of the meal, just before dessert was served, he asked if we had any concerns/questions about the ship or HAL.  Since I was the most "seasoned" cruiser in our group, I mentioned the absence of the cold fruit soups, for which he had no answer, but said he'd heard that complaint before.  He discussed the smaller ships leaving the line, and although he agreed with me that HAL is driving some of its most loyal cruisers to other lines, he emphasized that it was a firm corporate decision.  End of story.  Although my traveling companions and I enjoyed talking to him, we stressed most of that afternoon, prior to dinner, about what we would talk about etc.  It turned into a pleasant meal with good conversation, but would I be upset if no officer shows up to host our table again?  Hardly.  When I travel with these friends, I wish to reconnect with them. 

35 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I was told by a senior officer that they are no longer required or expected to attend, but they can if they choose. Most choose not to since they often attend other passenger get togethers and mariner events.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

this sounds more likely the case than “not allowed”.... 

Policy from Seattle for the Senior Officers not to attend these gatherings?  I don't know.  But, I do know that some M&G guests have made these gatherings difficult because of their actions.  M&G events SHOULD NOT BE USED for meeting those and discussing details of PRIVATELY arranged shore excursions.  In recent years, that seems to be more of an important reason than connecting with others on that cruise's Roll Call.  I agree with other comments that M&G events are not the place to state "unhappiness" with whatever a guest(s) have.  The ship's officials whom attend do so on "their time".  If I have read Captain Albert's Blog correctly over the years, all of the crew have a specific time frame each day for when they are expected to be on duty.  Officers who choose to attend M&G gatherings are doing so on their own "down" time, I think.

Your M&G gets a Senior Officer--or any of the Staff?  Be appreciative.  And show it!

13 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

But, I do know that some M&G guests have made these gatherings difficult because of their actions.  M&G events SHOULD NOT BE USED for meeting those and discussing details of PRIVATELY arranged shore excursions.  In recent years, that seems to be more of an important reason than connecting with others on that cruise's Roll Call.  I

I totally agree with this.  I’ve been criticized on these board because when I organize the Meet and Greets, I specifically ask that they not be discussed at the meeting.

they can be discussed after if people want privately but most plans have been well laid out (or should have been long before).

It’s not just if there’s an officer there.  Not every roll call member wants to do a private tour and the Meet and Greet should be about that IMO and giving every roll call member a chance to participate.  Discussing private tours discourages that and discourages attendance.  JMO though.  I do a lot of private tours but when I go to the Meet and Greet I want to MEET and get to know the people that have been posting.  

• Like 1

Agree, Kazu.  Private tours should probably be set up prior to the cruise or after the M & G.  The last M & G I attended, one woman monopolized the floor, talking about how wonderful RCCL's mega-ships were.  At one point, someone asked, "Why did you come on this cruise?  The Oasis was sailing the same day we did.  Why aren't you on her?"  The rest of us silently applauded, I think.  Her rant ruined the M & G for everyone, and no one stayed very long.  Sad, because most of us had been corresponding for months on the Roll Call.  As I walked away, I wondered how many of those Cruise Critic members may never again participate in the Roll Call, especially the newer members.

• Like 1

Well - there are different philosophies:

Like NCL:

You get a list of the phone number of the Senior Officers and they present themselves to say hello and offer you to get in touch with them and to hear from ASAP if something on your cruise does not go well. They want to hear it from you and take immediate action to make your holidays perfect. They want you to leave the ship and share with all your friends how good it was.

Like RCI:

All "partners" are present and they not just offer some cookies and water, juice, coffee and tea: they had a buffet and many gifts.

It is also a way for the cruise lines to "communicate" via satisfied and appreciated customers and I think a friend is telling how good something is counts more than the opinion of any travel agent.

Therefore I was only wondering how today HAL handled cruisecritic.com-Members while others are pampering us. But as said before I made the same experience also with HAL before. But not today and just want to find out, if on other ship or other itinararies it was the same "new policy" observed or maybe there was only one here onboard who did not give a certain attention to this event.

1 minute ago, HeinBloed said:

You get a list of the phone number of the Senior Officers and they present themselves to say hello and offer you to get in touch with them and to hear from ASAP if something on your cruise does not go well. They want to hear it from you and take immediate action to make your holidays perfect. They want you to leave the ship and share with all your friends how good it was.

I’ve sailed a lot on NCL in the past.  I had that list.

Good luck calling anyone.  You get voice mail and the call is not returned.  That was our experience and my friends.  

I suspect if you are in the Haven it’s a totally different experience - we weren’t 😉 

NCL good?  In the MDR and the LIdo?  Seriously?  If you like their food you should be extremely happy on HAL then 😉 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CJcruzer said:

I am not really sure about that statement that officers are “not allowed” to attend meet and greet 

I DO know I was told that since there are now various chats , ask the (fill in a management/officer position) - morning coffee chats I believe they call them - for people to get to hear about the officers, their position,  and question/answer time.

I was told that the meet and greet was a way for groups (especially online groups) to get to know one another, chat, etc. and by having officers there, it limited the time for the participants to intermingle,    

Since there are many more groups on board then say 10-15 years ago, I think it is just overwhelming for the officers and management to schedule time to present themselves at all these functions,    And again, there are various scheduled talks where you can learn about officers.

Carol

True, we had an Engineering Officer attend a Veterans Meet one time and it was really great. We actually became friends!

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’ve sailed a lot on NCL in the past.  I had that list.

Good luck calling anyone.  You get voice mail and the call is not returned.  That was our experience and my friends.  

I suspect if you are in the Haven it’s a totally different experience - we weren’t 😉 

NCL good?  In the MDR and the LIdo?  Seriously?  If you like their food you should be extremely happy on HAL then 😉 

Well... out of my 27 times with NCL, it was 3 times in The Haven/Courtyard. But anyhow: no matter if I am staying in an inside stateroom or in the Courtyard Villa: if I am dialing on EVERY NCL SHIP FLEETWIDE 8888 I have the Hotel Director right on his phone or if he is not able to attend, I have his secretary.

By the way: it was you who started to compare NCL / HAL:

My observations right now from VEENDAM:

You get the same empty bread plate and butter knife like with NCL and bread only on request for lunch:

2019-VEENDAM-012205.jpg.0a12d6126e3fd3b4496e145a46a1cd85.jpg

Both removed the tray service for Danish and you have to asked for it...

2008-EURODAM-3011-Fruehstueck.jpg.f583e6d9511b5f001e11673e64309deb.jpg

and while NCL has peppermills on every table of the MDR...

You have this here on VEENDAM

2019-VEENDAM-031319.jpg.d63200ad05c5b573d2d704bff17480c3.jpg

and none is showing up anymore with a peppermill unless you are asking for.

But as said: It was a different HAL in 2016 when I had my last sailing with. Too many changes.

Before many things were offered with out the need to ask for and many nice things were just withdrawn without replacement like

2010-HAL-WEDM-40820.jpg.38daa7674f35797ab7c01a9f660ddb80.jpg

I had a long list what made HAL better than any other. But this list getting smaller and smaller compared to others... and the first time: MSC and Costa are appearing on my list what they are doing better than HAL...

As said: this is my list - and what is important to me and what I am willing to pay to get MY outstanding unforgettable experience and making me coming back to HAL. Normally the first action before I am moving to my cabin: grabbing a form for the FCD. This time I might need to wait until the end of the cruise.

10 minutes ago, HeinBloed said:

By the way: it was you who started to compare NCL / HAL

No, it was not I.  You better put your reading glasses on.

You did it in post 14

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2692401-no-hal-senior-officers-allowed-on-the-meet-greet-events/?do=findComment&comment=58262888

You are obviously an unhappy camper and I hope you can lick the attitude to at least enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 1