Why is a beard trim so expensive?

Clay Clayton

We are leaving next week on a transpacific and will need a haircut and beard trim. According to the website the price for the haircut is $35 which is about what one costs here in Portland where we are currently Airbnb-ing.  But the “express beard trim” which says it is 25 minutes long (as opposed to 45 for the haircut) is $47!  Any idea why so much more? 

Do they ever offer a deal onboard?

TIA!

Clay

Trim it yourself.  Is it that hard to do?  If it is than you will know why.

what do they charge at Art of Shaving? 

The Barber Shops where I live charge $13 for seniors for a haircut    I could go to Lady Janes for $10 but don’t like their attitude or concept. 

As others have posted.  Get it before you leave.  Why waste time when away from home getting a hair cut or beard trim.  

Why  is it called a hair cut when they always cut more than one?  🤔 Would anyone go to a barber and tell them what hair they wanted cut? 🤗.   Thinking about it, it may be something that Charley Brown would do. 🙂

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

As noted in my op, the price onboard for getting my hairs cut is about the same as I can get here in Portland (I too paid $13 in Houston when we lived there) but the beard trim is about 4 times more than the $10 additional they charge here for the beard. I’m just trying to figure out why-I was hoping to have someone tell me that 

I want to get it onboard as we have 10 sea days and once we get to Asia we won’t be coming back for about a month.  So even I get one tomorrow, I will either need one onboard or in Japan where I don’t speak the language. The ship would be easier-and I have OBC. 

I do trim my beard myself but I don’t want to take up valuable luggage space with the trimmer, hence my question. 

2 hours ago, bonapart5 said:

I believe the answer is "because they can".   While you are onboard they can charge whatever they like which is obvious from the prices of the beauty treatments etc onboard.  Have a great cruise.

Also watch out for the product sell after your trim!

Most guests learn after one visit to firmly and  forcefully say ‘no’ as a variety of creams, gels and other potions are offered. I am sure in their extensive stock they will have something to improve your beard quality!

4 hours ago, bonapart5 said:

I believe the answer is "because they can".   While you are onboard they can charge whatever they like which is obvious from the prices of the beauty treatments etc onboard.  Have a great cruise.

There's your answer!

Don't worry about the price. Your paying for it with OBC.  You can use the OBC for either an overpriced trim or an overpriced drink, or an overpriced spa treatment, or an overpriced piece of jewellery, an overpriced piece of 'art',  or ......... 😉

13 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

As noted in my op, the price onboard for getting my hairs cut is about the same as I can get here in Portland (I too paid $13 in Houston when we lived there) but the beard trim is about 4 times more than the $10 additional they charge here for the beard. I’m just trying to figure out why-I was hoping to have someone tell me that 

I want to get it onboard as we have 10 sea days and once we get to Asia we won’t be coming back for about a month.  So even I get one tomorrow, I will either need one onboard or in Japan where I don’t speak the language. The ship would be easier-and I have OBC. 

I do trim my beard myself but I don’t want to take up valuable luggage space with the trimmer, hence my question. 

Are you serious. 🙄 It's ll about choices isn't it.  Just consider the price for the hair cut and beard trim part of the cruise price. Or just shave the beard and your head  before your cruise. No worries and you save money by not buying hair products. 😜  Enjoy your cruise. 

Edited by davekathy

Tough crowd.  It's a legitimate question, OP.  There is no reason why a beard trim should cost more than the haircut.  I wonder if that price includes the haircut?  So $35 for the cut + $12 for the beard?  I would imagine most everyone needing it done on the ship is having both done.  Unfortunately, you may not be able to find out until you're on the ship.  Perhaps go to the roll call for the current trip and ask if anyone on the ship can ask for you?

There's also contact information at the link below.  I would think they could give you a good answer since everyone here is being so rude about it.

https://celebrity.canyonranch.com/canyonranch/home/index

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

There's also contact information at the link below.  I would think they could give you a good answer since everyone here is being so rude about it.

https://celebrity.canyonranch.com/canyonranch/home/index

I honestly don’t think people were deliberately being rude (certainly I wasn’t intending to be).  I think they were just trying to reflect that many pricings on board for services are significantly more than on on land where competition keeps prices more at bay...

2 minutes ago, chemmo said:

I honestly don’t think people were deliberately being rude (certainly I wasn’t intending to be).  I think they were just trying to reflect that many pricings on board for services are significantly more than on on land where competition keeps prices more at bay...

Your response was useful info, but at least 5 of the other responses were not remotely helpful & I read a couple as outright hostile.  I'm also not counting the first reply because it was obviously meant tongue-in-cheek.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Tough crowd.  It's a legitimate question, OP.  There is no reason why a beard trim should cost more than the haircut.  I wonder if that price includes the haircut?  So $35 for the cut + $12 for the beard?

You may be on to something here. Perhaps the better question isn’t why the beard trim is so expensive (who knows anyway, except the people who set the price) but whether that crazy price includes more.  

Clay, given the overall expense of your upcoming trips, just consider it a relatively small price to pay to look good (or get it done in Portland).  😄

Enjoy your cruises! 

16 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

When my hubby had his beard trim it was all part of a shave/beard trim.  He said it was wonderful and worth the price.  Very relaxing.  Perhaps the information you obtained is for a service similar to this and NOT just a beard trim, hence the hefty price tag.

To all the other posters who will state my words, "it was worth the price" please don't shoot the messenger.   Everyone has a different idea of what an OBC is "worth".   Thanks.      :-)

• Thanks 1

I can't help out with the pricing either. I've tried growing a beard a couple of times in my life. When I was younger, it grew in in patches. Now it grows in as salt and red pepper, heavy on the salt...

Once upon a time, RCI had the equivalent of an old mainstreet barbershop on the Royal Promenade of the Freedom Class. It wasn't stuck in the spa, the folks pretty much dressed like an old school barber, and they were very good. They also didn't upsell. At the time I tended to shave every day, and I'd get a professional shave on the last afternoon. It was an amazingly relaxing experience. It wasn't cheap, but it also wasn't horrible.

RCI replaced that venue with the cupcake shop and moved the men's haircuts and shaves into the spa. Did that once. Never again...

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:54 PM, miched said:

Trim it yourself.  Is it that hard to do?  If it is than you will know why.

what do they charge at Art of Shaving? 

The Barber Shops where I live charge $13 for seniors for a haircut    I could go to Lady Janes for $10 but don’t like their attitude or concept. 

As others have posted.  Get it before you leave.  Why waste time when away from home getting a hair cut or beard trim.  

Why  is it called a hair cut when they always cut more than one?  🤔 Would anyone go to a barber and tell them what hair they wanted cut? 🤗.   Thinking about it, it may be something that Charley Brown would do. 🙂

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Why do you park in a driveway and drive on a parkway, lol

Why are they called apart-ments? lol

@Clay Clayton Try rereading this thread from the top with a less intense focus and see what you think. I have read through three times and I am looking in vain for a single hostile answer--hostile to the cruiseline maybe, but not to you. And what you think might be unhelpful would likely have been intended as helpful, such as getting it done before you go (you provided your concern about Japan, etc, in a later post).

A lot of people made lighthearted comments, which didn't really answer your questions, but I don't think they hurt anything, did they?

Maybe the frustration is that you actually expected cruise passengers to know why a rather rare service gets charged at the rate it does. No reason to get bent out of shape because we aren't in on the spa's pricing strategy. Pro's might be able to tell you.

I could speculate, however, without knowing, that fewer and fewer men get shaved or trimmed on board compared to the haircut demand. Maybe that skill is one that the spa personnel do not all have. Or maybe it is a service that RC would like to discourage because of the personal nature of everyone-s individual preferences. Or maybe...who knows? (I choose comparative rarity, FWIW.)

Personally, I would be more concerned about getting a bad trim from someone I have never used than I would about luggage space. If it goes bad, it will be that way for days, and in all your pictures forever!