Why is a beard trim so expensive?

Clay Clayton

i I Wasn’t the one who said the responses were hostile-that was another. 

I just found it strange that so many folks wanted to give me advice on getting it done pre cruise, doing it myself, or spending my OBC on what I find a crazy price (given the reasonableness of the price of just a haircut. 

I realize now that the title was wrong. What I really wanted to know was whether the “express”  beard trim price ever included the haircut. 

Lesson learned-don’t try to be funny with your post title and more importantly ask exactly what you really want to know. 

In case you were wondering, We leave tomorrow and I just finished trimming my beard and have the trimmer packed. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

To close out this thread, the price of the beard trim is indeed over $50 with the gratuity.  The haircut is about $40 with the tip.  We elected to use our beard trimmer and spent the obc on dinner at Tuscan Grille!  

Mike was going to get a haircut but the hairdresser’s attitude was so negative when we asked about the beard trim cost, he elected to wait until we get to China! LOl

Cruise was great except for a couple of windy, cool and rocky days.  We are thinking about doing it again next year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

To close out this thread, the price of the beard trim is indeed over $50 with the gratuity.  The haircut is about $40 with the tip.  We elected to use our beard trimmer and spent the obc on dinner at Tuscan Grille!  

Mike was going to get a haircut but the hairdresser’s attitude was so negative when we asked about the beard trim cost, he elected to wait until we get to China! LOl

Cruise was great except for a couple of windy, cool and rocky days.  We are thinking about doing it again next year. 

Thanks for coming back on! 

Tuscan certainly seems a better use of OBC!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

So odd that they'd charge that much for a simple beard trim.  Maybe they just don't like to do it?  Thanks for reporting back!

• Like 1

Yikes!  I would expect to pay more for a beard trim on a cruise ship, but there comes a point where it becomes kind of insulting.   No way I would pay anyone $50 for a beard trim.   If you see Gandalf on your next cruise it is me being too cheap to get a trim.  😀😀😀  

On 8/31/2019 at 5:39 PM, Clay Clayton said:

We are leaving next week on a transpacific and will need a haircut and beard trim. According to the website the price for the haircut is $35 which is about what one costs here in Portland where we are currently Airbnb-ing.  But the “express beard trim” which says it is 25 minutes long (as opposed to 45 for the haircut) is $47!  Any idea why so much more? 

Do they ever offer a deal onboard?

TIA!

Clay

A haircut in Portland is $35!  Wow, it is $20 here in Georgia.

The beard trimmers really do not take up much space. My husband brings his on the trans atlantics when we are gone from 15-18 days.  He would never trust anyone to do it but himself.  If you can do it yourself, then pack it up and save some money.

4 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

It was $13 where we went when we lived in Houston!  $11 if you were a senior and went on Tuesday!

With the senior discount, I pay $15 for the haircut and $8 for the beard trim.   Based on total volume I probably should be paying more for the beard than the haircut.  😀

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2019 at 4:05 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks for the update.  I have a lumberjack beard and pay $40 (+$10 tip) for a haircut and beard trim.  I had no idea it was so expensive on the ship.  I would be hesitant to have someone other than my regular barber touch it as he's been doing it for years and knows exactly how I like it.  Thanks for this thread.  You learn something new every day on CC!

• Like 1