Livorno Port to Florence

carlsbadguy

Is it easier to take the bus or the train from the port to Florence if I plan on exploring Florence on our own?  It looks like the ship shuttle will drop off near where the bus leaves but for the train have to find my way to and from the train station. I assume the train is faster and cheaper?

Only NCL offers a shuttle that goes to the train station. All the others go to the square in Livorno (where there's a bus stop for a bus that will get you to the station).

The fastest way on your own to Livorno is to talk a waiting taxi into taking you to the station -- but it will cost approximately 25 euro for a short trip -- if you can find someone to share the cab, it's worth it to catch an earlier train.

Unfortunately, the train timings for returning to Livorno from Florence don't work so well for most cruise passengers; you'll probably have to return earlier than you'd like to allow enough time for the logistics to get back to the ship -- unless you're on one of the luckier port calls with a later evening departure?

My wife and I did Florence on our own this past July. It is a flat fee of 25 Euros one way from ship to the train station. We caught the 8:12am train arriving in Florence at 9:32am and returned on the 4:28pm train arriving in Livorno at 5:48pm. We got back to the ship by 6pm with plenty of time. We arrived at the same time a lot of the tours were as well. 

I would if you purchase the train tickets ahead of time on trenitalia.com, to book the train just before the one I listed. That way if you finish up early and are ready to go you can, and it you don't want to go until 4:28pm you are still good as the ticket is valid for 4 hours from the departure time of the train you had selected. I've attached the pdf ticket that I just stored on my phone.

Florence2Livorno.pdf

Edited by Voelfgar
readded pdf