New Clothes

denmarks

• 1 month later...

Surprised no one has responded to your thread.  

Frequent cruiser here but I still buy a few new things usually.  I like a newer outfit for boarding and watch for sales on dresses all the time as that’s all I wear to dinner.  And yes we have enough underwear for a 3 week trip.  After that I’d have to send it to the laundry.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of going a little less dressy for the formal nights this year, so I bought a new top to wear with some black slacks. I like buying new clothes for the cruise, even if it's just a couple of shirts...often, I will be packing for the cruise and I just won't be able to find every piece of clothing I was looking for!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ALWAYS get new outfits 😂 It's the best part of cruising (lets be serious it's the best part of life). This year I didn't go crazy, just two new dresses for myself and two new button up shirts and a pair of linen pants for my bf.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I keep a "cruise closet" for the things I wear only on a cruise.  I keep DH's cruise shirts/pants there too.  Often I will pick up something new to add to the cruising wardrobe so our collection has grown.  Guess we just need to start taking longer cruises.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

For an Antarctica/South America Cruise, I bought a Land's End Waterproof jacket with a hood.  Packed a pair of corduroy pants that I already owned.  Wore each once; never on the ship when we were sailing in Antarctic waters.  When I wore them was during a shore excursion visiting a penguin colony in the Falkland Islands.  I was glad that I had them at that time.  Never have worn them since.  

Before my most recent cruises to Alaska (2019), I decided I needed a light fleece lined jacket with a hood for sightseeing purposes when the ships would be sailing in the vicinity of the glaciers.  Found a nice one at my local Goodwill store at, of course, a price that was many $$ less than at the stores or online.  Stylish?  No.  But, it did the job.  

• 4 months later...

We have both accumulated a lot of new cruise clothes over the past two cruiseless years.  We hope to sail in February, so we are starting to try on, narrow down the list, and otherwise organize.  Most of what we've bought are dressier items, which we really enjoy.

Typically no, and this goes for any trip not just cruises, unless there's something that I really need (like something warm as I live in FL and don't have many warm clothes). However, I was walking around Target today and saw this Margaritaville brand button down shirt that was very tropical. I knew I had to have this for my cruise next week lol

3 hours ago, CruiseFanatic223 said:

However, I was walking around Target today and saw this Margaritaville brand button down shirt that was very tropical. I knew I had to have this for my cruise next week lol

😄  Wearing such items on a cruise is a good idea.  Often, such branded apparel will help to initiate conversations with others.  I have worn cruise line/cruise specific apparel on some cruises that have led to very interesting discussions.  Not just with other guests, but with crew as well.  

• 1 month later...

I remember being young and poor on my first cruise and having to borrow clothes from my sister.

We used to do a little stock up from the sale racks in preparation for cruises, but generally have everything we need now. It's just an occasional rotation of a new swimsuit or casual sun dress.

Before a trans-Atlantic and North Cape cruise on Royal Viking Sky and a return trans-Atlantic crossing on QE2 in 1980, I needed more formal wear than just a dark suit.  Shopping the discount rack at a department store, I found a beautiful light blue with black piping on the lapels dinner jacket that fit me perfectly (and I am not an easy one to fit with off the rack clothes).  It's price was marked down significantly!  Along with the formal shirt and black bow tie that I bought, I was well attired among the other guests on Royal Viking Sky.  And, I was one of the better dressed guests in Tourist Class on QE2.  I wore that dinner jacket for several cruises and enjoyed doing so each time I wore it.  Styles change; my frilly formal shirt, the large bow tie, and even the dinner jacket became out of fashion.  But, I surely enjoyed them when I had them.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2019 at 4:53 PM, denmarks said:

Does anyone buy new clothes for a  cruise? It always gives me an excuse to buy new underwear and socks. I also currently have a few new shirts and pants.

I do the same thing.  Wearing just-bought socks and underwear gives me a slight confidence boost, which is a boon when cruising, since you're meeting new people.  I also have T-shirts I rarely wear outside of cruises.  Since I've worn them only several times "on land", I count them as "new" too.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

On 3/31/2022 at 10:30 PM, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

I also have T-shirts I rarely wear outside of cruises. 

For many years, I have had a piece of luggage packed with clothes that I only wore during a cruise.  Wearing those clothes helped to increase my realization that my cruise was "special".  Many of those garments are still packed and will be ready to go if--and when--I cruise again.  But, I have dipped into those "treasures" since March, 2020.  There are some articles of clothing that I have enjoyed wearing and I am wondering if I ever will be able to do so again on a cruise.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I always get a few new outfits just for the fact that when I look back at previous years cruises pics I see the same top in way too many photos. Makes me feel like I only have x amount of clothes from the last 10 years. 🤣