Medications

denmarks

Is it still the rule that you have to have original bottles the meds come in? I have one of those by-the-day pill containers that I fill and bring along with me, but I also take the original containers.

" TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply. " (TSA website)

"Keep medicines in their original, labeled containers. Ensure that they are clearly labeled with your full passport name, doctor’s name, generic and brand name, and exact dosage." (CDC website)

Thought on this, anyone?

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2019 at 1:04 PM, Suite Heart said:

"Keep medicines in their original, labeled containers. Ensure that they are clearly labeled with your full passport name, doctor’s name, generic and brand name, and exact dosage." (CDC website)

Check your cruise documentation.  I believe our last cruise stated the above protocol.  

Edited by conjr

• 3 weeks later...

My understanding is that it is the label, and the information contained on it, that is important. Not the actual pill bottle itself.

When I use the last of the pills in a prescription bottle, I peel the label off the bottle, and stick it back on to a little plastic coin bag. Then I take that labeled bag when traveling. Transfering the label takes a little patience and practice, but can work quite well. If it doesn't stick well, I've used a piece of clear packaging tape to cover the label and adhere to the bag.

Another option that I've used is to have the prescribing pharmacy simply print the current labels and give them to me. Then I can easily apply them at home. I haven't had luck with this with mail-order pharmacies; only local ones.

The little zip lock bags are available in different sizes on Amazon, and in crafting stores.

For non-prescription pills of any type, I make a label or tag that clearly indicates exactly what the pill is, the strength, and the recommended dose.

I also get an actual printed copy of all prescriptions from my prescribing doctor(s) and take those with me. I've never had to use them, but have read a few stories where doing this greatly simplifies things if a person ever needs to get new meds while away from home.

Hmmm...I was just at the TSA site:

" TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply. " https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips/can-you-pack-your-meds-pill-case-and-more-questions-answered

So, the rules appear to have changed since my above post. BTW, the web address listed above goes NOT have a publication date!

I also do the small plastic pill bags.  I make up daily bags but also take the prescription labels from the bottles with me.  Hopefully this will be good enough for an agent checking them when coming into and out of the country.  If they took away our vitamins that aren’t labeled we would survive.   I don’t have a list of those but could tell the agent what each one was.  I’d be interested in hearing someone’s story of being questioned and what the outcome was.  Since I don’t think within the states anyone cares it would probably be only an issue post cruise.  At that point most of our pills would be taken!

We have a lot of scripts that we take for those just in case situations.  These are kept each in their separate bags with original labels. Otherwise I’d have to take more then 20 bottles and that’s just not practical.  I’ve never been stopped so I don’t know if this would be good enough but hoping it would be.  I am careful in Europe to not carry more then the allowed narcotic amount per person. There are rules for this for each country you travel to. I believe this would be more of an issue when flying into a country not while making a stop on a cruise.

I’m not suggesting what anyone should do just sharing how we do our meds.

• 3 weeks later...

I take several medications daily, some are prescription, some are supplements (vitamins, probiotics, fish oil, etc).  The last time I cruised (2017) I had my meds in one of the 7 day pill containers.  I'm on more medications now so one of those containers won't work.  When I travel in a non-cruise manner, I put my pills in the daily baggies with the day on them.  I'm now questioning if I need to do something different for my prescriptions.  

Do you think just having the labels would work or should I make a baggie for each medicine with the label instead of a baggie for each dose?

None of my medications are opioids or pain relievers (aside from some ibuprophen in my purse), but are mental health medications and diabetes medications.

Edited by mrsturkelton
Adding content

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Catnip said:

I put all my meds (in their original pill bottles) in a large zip-lock baggie.  It goes in my carry-on.  I've never had any problems doing it this way.

I do the same.  To take medicines not in an original bottle is just asking for potential problems from some "Official" at some point during one's travels.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I do the same.  To take medicines not in an original bottle is just asking for potential problems from some "Official" at some point during one's travels.  

exactly.  And it lays flat and takes up very little room.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...