Never Again Carnival Inspiration

JC13

9 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Be happy, Royal Caribbean charges a $7.95 delivery fee on top of the charges for select items!

Which items on rci’s room service have a cost other than the $7.95 delivery charge?

I’ve searched menus but none i have found have any additional charges? Since things are constantly changing on all the cruise lines maybe this has been implemented recently.

10 hours ago, JC13 said:

The staff also failed to mention only the first cabin key used on the safe will work during the cruise.  

We have stayed at many hotels with card operated safes and we've never seen any that operate on more than one card.  Each card has a separate code on it and that's the only code that the safe recognizes.   Yours and your spouse's cards are completely different.  As others have mentioned, we use my AARP card and just leave it in a drawer so that either one of us can use it.

• Like 1

What were you expecting from this short sailing to nowhere on an old Carnival ship as an experienced Princess cruiser? To me, and like others have said, you didn't do your research. Your review sounds like one that would be posted by someone who has never cruised in their life. Just sayin' ...............

• Haha 2

I have cruised on RCL, Norwegian, Princess, Disney, and Carnival. Is Carnival up to the standard of RCL, Princess or Disney? No, and I don't expect it to be. However, since budget is an issue, and I can get a balcony on Carnival for the same price as a (tiny) inside on Royal Caribbean, I'll take the balcony.

The way I look at it - a cruise on Carnival is way better than no cruise at all!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

What were you expecting from this short sailing to nowhere on an old Carnival ship as an experienced Princess cruiser? To me, and like others have said, you didn't do your research. Your review sounds like one that would be posted by someone who has never cruised in their life. Just sayin' ...............

Actually no, I did do my research, as Elite on Princess I have done 3-4 day cruises out of LA and 1 day out of Seattle and Vancouver on Princess ( and more) plus multiple cruises on the Celebrity Century, which was OLD, and nothing like what was happening on the so called Fun Ship occurred on Princess.  Pricing is about the same on Princess as it is on Carnival, but service levels are way off, elite or not, just sayin'......

Sorry you have had a disappointing cruise. I definitely understand how different an experience the old Carnival ships on the short booze cruises can be!  DH and I did a quick weekend getaway on Carnival Elation after having cruised for the first time on one of RCI's mega ships several years before. We were very disappointed in the MDR food, service and especially the entertainment. We also went alone as a couple. Frankly, I can be happy with a book anywhere but DH needs sports or activities to keep him occupied. That was 10 years ago and we haven't done carnival since- although MANY of our friends truly enjoy Carnival over RCI. We are cruising Carnival again in early November as part of a surprise birthday celebration with lots of our friends- they chose the ship- Carnival Elation, lol! We still booked it, but our expectations are so much different. I do expect to have a great time because we will be with lots of our fun friends- which will give DH the entertainment he needs! And we just might be the rowdy group!  I hope you can enjoy the rest of the cruise and can enjoy more cruises in the future!

Just now, coevan said:

as to 1 1/2 hour wait for YTD is tough to believe, I wouldn't wait that long on land or sea

As my dear departed father (who was an Episcopalian Priest!) would say "I wouldn't wait that long for a seat at the Last Supper!"

Please no flamers! He was very devout if a bit irreverent.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My only Carnival cruises have been three and four day itineraries out of Long Beach on Inspiration and Imagination.  We have our fourth scheduled next month. 

I kind of thought the OP’s description  was CCL typical.  I guess I’m going to be feeling pretty spoiled on Panorama next year and on DCL later this year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA), not the Jones Act.

LOL . . . . an old Cruise critic argument for those that like to parse words and phrases. It's part of or an amendment to the Jones Act . . . pick one.

Have done several 4-dayers out of Long Beach on the IMAGINATION and INSPIRATION. Always enjoyed them for "what they were worth". Used them for sandwiches cruises in between longer cruises. Always found these ships in top condition (for their age) and easily absorbed the drunken first-timers and lushes. I must concede of late they have a much rowdier inconsiderate crowd, however.

I suspect my cruise on the PANORAMA in January will be considerably different, as most 7-dayers are.

Have also cruised Princess. A world of difference for sure.

Edited by glrounds

We had a reunion cruise for my mom's 90th birthday last year, 4n cruise on Inspiration with 23 people. It was a blast, and perfect for our needs, as something reasonable for the family members to afford, They could fly in/out on the weekends. We had early dining with 3 tables all in one section that we all rotated through. It was wonderful and everyone enjoyed it, and may were first time cruisers. I managed their expectations, tho, and said cruises and cabins are generally worth what you pay for them. Some are reuniting this month on the cruise again, they enjoyed it so much. So, the cruises certainly have their worth, to some people. Your Mileage May Vary. However, as most say, the worst day at sea is better than your best day at work. 

• Like 2

ParrotRob, thanks... I was not aware of the PVSA Act.  Always nice to learn something new.  Needless to say, I Googled both PVSA and Jones.  Great short little Wiki on both:

Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886:                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886 

Merchant Marine Act of 1920: (Jones Act is section 27)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920 

On 9/1/2019 at 7:55 PM, Silent Penguin said:

Are you saying you had no idea that short cruises tend to be rowdier?  

In the OP’s defense, I took a 4 night CA cruise (Ensenada and Santa Barbara) on Princess a few years ago and it was one of the quietest and classiest cruises I’ve ever taken. Atmosphere was resort casual. Fellow cruisers were older and well traveled. Table mates ranged from an Australian couple on a month long honeymoon which included this short cruise, a globe trotting retired couple from Canada, and two Princess loyalists who were on their 8th cruise for the year, and who had taken this short cruise as a fill in before their upcoming inaugural sailing out of Venice aboard another Princess ship the following week. Far from the booze chugging atmosphere that I’ve encountered on other short itineraries. 

If that Princess cruise had been my only reference point for short cruises, I too would’ve been shocked at the typical atmosphere found on short Carnival cruises (not to forget Royal and NCL as well).  Give the OP a break. 😊

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2019 at 7:09 PM, evandbob said:

If I would sail a short cruise on one of the oldest ships of ANY cruiseline, I'd probably have a negative experience as well.  I understand the OP completely.

To avoid this, I don't even think of booking a short cruise on one of the  oldest ships of ANY cruiseline.

This is great advice. Maybe people will listen to you so posts like this will not happen. Probably not though. 

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

But who expects the crowd to be the same... I would never cruise HAL and expect people doing shots at the bar, apples and oranges

Good point, although anything is possible. You do remember the drunken Holland America passenger who dropped the anchor and was sentenced to jail, right? 😂

https://gcaptain.com/cruise-ship-passenger-sentenced/

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Good point, although anything is possible. You do remember the drunken Holland America passenger who dropped the anchor and was sentenced to jail, right? 😂

https://gcaptain.com/cruise-ship-passenger-sentenced/

Lol, I had forgotten.  There is one in every crowd...or cruise