Can anyone recommend a good pocket sized menu decoder?

whogo

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I'm always a little afraid it's what they've got to much of and the waiters are told to "push" that item. 

Yes.  That thought also crosses my mind, particularly for those of us who dine during the Second Seating.

Remember the very old Cruise Director "joke" about:  Please eat the Potato Salad! 

56 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

X newby here (or at least it’s been years since we have sailed with them) and sailing on Millennium in Friday.  I didn’t realize they charged for a second entree. 

Hi Clay Clayton.  Are you asking about Celebrity (X)???   This is the Holland America Line forum. 

Regarding HAL, earlier this year HAL had a very ill advised experiment to charge for an extra entree in the MDR.  They quickly realized that plan was a disaster and stopped the crazy idea!  (They still do charge for an extra entree in the Specialty restaurants I believe)

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
Question

41 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Hi Clay Clayton.  Are you asking about Celebrity (X)???   This is the Holland America Line forum. 

Regarding HAL, earlier this year HAL had a very ill advised experiment to charge for an extra entree in the MDR.  They quickly realized that plan was a disaster and stopped the crazy idea!  (They still do charge for an extra entree in the Specialty restaurants I believe)

~Nancy

Duh.  Sorry my bad.  But thanks for the info. We are looking at a HAL cruise in December so I’m confusing myself jumping between boards! 🤪

I've found the most expedient thing to do in any country is

- go to images.google.com

- search for the dish name exactly as written on the menu

Ex:

image.png.ae55da99af9d38ccfee384a3db7515ef.png

image.png.5cd0bd47a4e3372a4fa6ef5775f01ee6.png

ps:  Apologies that this is not an answer for the OP.  I realize they are looking for an actual paper handbook and said, "(I would not pull out a smart phone at the dinner table if I had one.)"

I'd be surprised if anyone ever took the time to create a paper handbook given

- Searching for a specific menu item is so fast and easy, assuming you have purchased an internet plan and the connection works

- Searching doesn't require any extra suitcase room if you are already carrying a phone

Plan B:  If at a table of 6,  I'd bet someone at the table would know if you simply asked the table.

Completely agree with the person who said you can't count on the server to know.  Yes, they should know, but it could take a long time for the server to come back to the table and learn if they know or not.

On 9/2/2019 at 9:18 AM, SetAnOpenCourse said:

I hope translating is worth your effort.  I’m no foodie but the menu descriptions seem a bit overwrought to me.  I sometimes ordered a dish based on an one of the listed ingredients, only to find that item virtually nonexistent.  Now I tend to pick dishes based on just the main item (eg the meat or fish).

I'm with you. The menu description sounds so intriguing and you find that half the items listed are nothing but a decorative smear, dot, splash or drizzle on the plate too small to even taste.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2019 at 12:03 PM, slidergirl said:

I would bet that "Genovese" would mean some type of pesto, "Caprese" would be that typical tomato, mozzarella, basil, and balsamic involved, and "Bolognese" is good old tomato and meat sauce (I doubt HAL uses boar...).  Not having traveled in the Piedmont, I am not sure what typical item that would involve.   Oh - nicoise also has potato.   One of favorite salads - tuna, olives, potatoes, haricot verts, lettuces... yum!

I'm actually making some panzanella for my take-to-work dinner today - those cileigine mozz balls, cut up Kumamoto tomatoes, basil, old bread from the restaurant (the manager gives me a loaf once a week), and some balsamic.  I add an avocado just because I like avocado..

OK.  someone "liked" my reply today.  It got me thinking about that "Piedmontese" cuisine, so I let my fingers do the walking.  I knew that hazelnuts were a big thing - one of my favorite guilty pleasures is Gianduiotto, a glorious chocolate and hazelnut melt-in-your-mouth candy.  Truffles are big in the Piedmont (Alba is kind of Truffle Central), so I would imagine truffles or mushrooms would be included in a dish.  As pasta goes, egg pasta seems to big thing.  And, good old meat and a lot of cheese are part of the cuisine.  If the sauce included wine, it could be a Barolo or Barbera. Actually, a good dish could be Agnolotti in a sauce of Barbera or Barolo-braised beef with some porcini mushrooms and hazelnuts...

Hope this helps a little.