breaking traditions next cruise

havanadaydreaming

On 9/3/2019 at 8:27 AM, ishap said:

I for one love snorkeling excursions...  Last cruise was the first one we didn't do that, and we aren't booking one for the upcoming cruise either.  We have decided to make this cruise more of a relax by the water cruise.  Havana Cabana and the beach.

No snorkeling?? We're not there yet.   Our break from tradition was something we always did on the way to the cruise port.  Since all but one our cruises left from Florida -a 12 to 13 hour drive- we would  drive down, leaving 2 days before the cruise.  The trip would start after my husband got home from work, around 6:30 pm.  Dh would drive because night driving knocks me out.  We would stop late that night at a motel, exhausted and crabby, and get up the next day about 7:00 am, in a not much better state of mind, to finish the drive to our pre-cruise hotel, arriving early afternoon.    Then one day, about a month before an upcoming cruise, I came up with a different plan. I proposed that instead of splitting the drive between a night leg and a morning leg, we get up at 4:30 in the morning the day before the cruise and drive straight through.  This way we would be pretty much be driving during daylight hours in which case I could help more with the driving, we wouldn't be exhausted, and we wouldn't need to rent a motel.   This game-changer became our new tradition.  That being said, for various reasons we're actually not driving this time, we're flying. 

What we do on a cruise now is different than what we did when our kids were young and what we do when our adult kids are with us now is different than what we do when we do not sail with kids.  Each cruise has some kind of different element to it and I think the only cruise tradition we have had on every cruise is always eating dinner together as a family.  I don't see that one ever changing.