Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kartgv

Forum Boards Missing This AM?

All of a sudden this morning when I open the Forums home page, the Ask a Cruise Question and First Time Cruisers boards are not listed.    There's only a "New Cruisers" section but nothing comes up when you click on it!    Something's happened!    Hope you can recover everything that was there!   

From the main "Home" or "Categories" page, the links to "Ask a Cruise Question" and "First Time Cruisers" disappeared.  At first I thought I was just having a brain fart but I'm not seeing the links to those pages anywhere.  Anyone else having this issue?

Edited by Aquahound

Yes, I just reported it also.    Sure hope they can be recovered! 

Thanks for the assist, Aulanis.  I didn't see them down there.  They used to be under the New Cruisers block, which is where I was looking for them.  

Yes, thanks for the info - they are there but so far down the topic listings that I doubt new cruisers will find the board.    What prompted that change?    

They should move this forum, Forum Assistance down there too. Possibly that would decrease the amount of mistaken posts to this topic that ask questions that are not about forum assistance......

Edited by Charles4515

They may have always been there near the bottom of the Forums list but until this morning they were also listed right at the top, just under the Forum Assistance listing, under the "New Cruisers" category.    "New Cruisers" is now just an empty heading.   

Edited by Kartgv

1 hour ago, Kartgv said:

They may have always been there near the bottom of the Forums list but until this morning they were also listed right at the top, just under the Forum Assistance listing, under the "New Cruisers" category.    "New Cruisers" is now just an empty heading.   

These links were always pointers to forums that actually exist elsewhere. The problem started on a long weekend in North America; I’m sure the links will be reposted soon. 

8 hours ago, Aquahound said:

From the main "Home" or "Categories" page, the links to "Ask a Cruise Question" and "First Time Cruisers" disappeared.  At first I thought I was just having a brain fart but I'm not seeing the links to those pages anywhere.  Anyone else having this issue?

Yes! They apparently moved both of those threads way down to the 'Friends of CC' boards -- where new people with a general cruise question will NO Doubt be able to find them! 😏

They used to only be down there.  Then they created that New Cruisers section a few years ago.  EM

On 9/2/2019 at 7:53 PM, Kartgv said:

Yes, thanks for the info - they are there but so far down the topic listings that I doubt new cruisers will find the board.    What prompted that change?    

Hopefully a glitch.

Cos if it was a deliberate decision, IMHO burying these cover-all boards deep in the middle of oddments forums is pretty dumb.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

On 9/3/2019 at 2:37 PM, wwcruisers said:

Question is: why hasn't someone caught the problem and fixed it, yet? 😕

CC doesn’t read all of these threads. Someone would need to send a message to the help desk or flag Jenn here using the @  feature 

Another interesting observation:  When you click on one of those boards, at the top it will say Cruise Discussion Topics, then Ask a Cruise Question.  But then I go to the First Time Cruisers board, it now ways Friends of Cruise Critic...

I wish there was some way to force new members, and infrequent visitors to explore the board and find the right place to ask their questions.  So many of those question in Ask a Cruise Question really belong on the cruise line boards, or the Ports of Call boards.  But many people think the cruise line boards will just be a link to the cruise line websites.  Somehow there ought to be a new member thingy that tells them how to get the best use from the forum, and they have to read it before being able to post.    EM

36 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I wish there was some way to force new members, and infrequent visitors to explore the board and find the right place to ask their questions.  So many of those question in Ask a Cruise Question really belong on the cruise line boards, or the Ports of Call boards.  But many people think the cruise line boards will just be a link to the cruise line websites.  Somehow there ought to be a new member thingy that tells them how to get the best use from the forum, and they have to read it before being able to post.    EM

Unfortunately, they would probably just click through to the end, to the button that acknowledges that they have read it, without actually reading it. How often do you read the terms and conditions of installing software for example and just go to the button that says OK or Continue or I acknowledge having read...

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I wish there was some way to force new members, and infrequent visitors to explore the board and find the right place to ask their questions.  So many of those question in Ask a Cruise Question really belong on the cruise line boards, or the Ports of Call boards.  But many people think the cruise line boards will just be a link to the cruise line websites.  Somehow there ought to be a new member thingy that tells them how to get the best use from the forum, and they have to read it before being able to post.

I agree.   It's my understanding that CC sends some sort of welcome/informational email to new members, but I don't know what it says.   It's kind of head scratching that new folks don't take a little bit of time to familiarize themselves with the boards before they post, but it's also clear that open-ended forum titles such as "Ask a Cruise Question" lead far too many people to believe they can post anything there.   Similarly, too many people think that if they are taking a specific cruise line's ship to a specific port, the forum for that cruise line is the place to ask for information about the port.  The list goes on . . .

15 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

CC doesn’t read all of these threads. Someone would need to send a message to the help desk or flag Jenn here using the @  feature 

They did read this one.  I only know because the OP and I started threads at the same time, so the mods merged them.  

Remember a few weeks ago when the boards under North American Homeports took a vacation to the Friends of Cruise Critic forum?  Well,  Ask a..., First Time Cruisers, and Cabin selection are also resting in the Friends of CC forum, as well in Cruise Discussion topics...  Same glitch?  EM

6 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

And now  - the New Cruisers forums are back at the top of the main forums page.

A big 'thank you' to the mods/techs/admins for getting that done. Makes it much easier for the new folks (and some of us old ones) to find -- when just scrolling down the main menu page! 👍