Bahamas in Dec 2019?

CENT

Thanks for asking this question! I'm cruising in January on the Ecstasy and also wondering what alternative port(s) might be offered besides Nassau & Freeport, if necessary. I've read on Facebook (the Atlantis' page) that Nassau is okay.  I've seen some current ships are skipping the Bahamas and going to Key West. So tragic and praying for those in the Bahamas. 

The hurricane is currently stalled over Grand Bahama Island and Freeport is flooded. The Abaco Islands received heavy damage and there was loss of life there. Less severe damage in North Eleuthra; Nassau (New Providence Island) was spared.

My best guess is that Freeport will be open in December, the Abacos probably not. It takes quite a bit of time to marshal people and materials to rebuild in these semi isolated areas. The population is small and the government has limited resources, most supplies have to come in from the US.

That said the people of The Bahamas are very resilient and resourceful, they will rebuild. Wish them the best. 

31 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Freeport was pummeled for a day and a half by winds up to 185 mph.

Rebuilding will take quite a while, I suspect.

Not sure there’s much left to start from.

Please consider donating to an organization that help them to just survive!

• Like 1

I am having a hard time finding any media reporting that gives a complete look at the state of Grand Bahama and Abacos.  

The photos that are prevalent are heartbreaking and one wonders how the island could ever possibly recover- every last thing seems to be completely destroyed, basically only a large pile of rubbish mixed with floodwaters.

However I am starting to wonder if a lot of the photos being shown are the same few  areas over and over again.  I did catch a video from the AP today that showed another area of Freeport where cars were driving and workers were cleaning up a small amount of debris beside the road.  A small glimmer of hope that the island wasn't completely and totally destroyed and might one day have a future.  At the same time it sounds like the airport, hospital, police departments, etc. were all destroyed so who knows.

Don't get me wrong, no matter what, this is a huge disaster and among the worst we've seen and a ton of support is needed.  Our family is donating what we can, knowing that so much help is required just to keep many of these folks alive for the short term.  I'm just curious, looking into the future, whether the island can or will be rebuilt.

So sad for Freeport.  Carnival representative answered this question for me as well.  She said that if Freeport isn't ready in December, we'll change itinerary like they do when there's other situations like bad weather.  I am going to Nassau, Princess Cays and Freeport early December too.  I imagine, they'll either skip Freeport or substitute it with Florida...I'm hoping for Key West!!