Fall in New England Cruise

bfloluci2

I have never cruised in October in the Northeast...unsure of how to pack! Obviously watch the weather as we get closer in date, but I have a feeling I am going to need 2 suitcases for myself on this one! Any advice?? Hopefully we will be able to swim...going on the Anthem...I believe they have a solarium pool...will the water be warm enough?

As you are from Buffalo, the weather in New England in October should feel balmy to you! 

Bring layers and wind breaker.  I also pack ponchos we got from Niagara just in case of rain.

Indoor pools on Anthem should be warm enough to swim.

• Like 1

We did a cruise out of Boston on Brilliance of the Seas in late Sept to early October 2015.  It was not a warm weather sailing by any means.  One actual day where we could lie outside near the pool.  When we were in Halifax it poured down raining the whole time. We’ll be sailing on the Adventure next year in September, same itinerary but out of Bayonne, NJ. Hope the weather is dry!  

2 hours ago, little britain said:

So nothing as extreme as what I took for Alaska.... ?! Going at the end of this month. 

What about footwear please? 

comfortable closed toe walking shoes.  we usually wear our hiking shoes as they have a small bit of waterproofing in case of heavy rains.  

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

At the top of Cadillac Mt maybe, but not elsewhere.

Well this might change our plans then. The timing of the 9/24 cruise is due to the Astros visiting the Yankees for a four game series prior to boarding. That would have been a great trip to NYC

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Just now, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Well this might change our plans then. 

I would not book such a sailing just for the colors, since you can't really tell more than a few weeks out when they'll peak. The weather itself is bound to be better in Sep in general - book for that reason. The scenery is just as nice with greener foliage.

Sailed via Anthem of the Seas to NE/Canada in late September two years ago. We were actually supposed to go to Bermuda but were diverted because of Hurricane Maria.  It ended up being warmer in Halifax than it was in Bermuda! We were wearing tank tops and shorts around the port.  The year before we sailed Columbus Day weekend on the same itinerary on Carnival and it was absolutely freezing. There were icicles forming in the waterfall in the Serenity pool.  So the temperatures can vary greatly from week to week.  I can say that Anthem is a great ship to take to NE/Canada as you can still enjoy a lot of the ship's amenities even in cold weather.

36 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I would not book such a sailing just for the colors, since you can't really tell more than a few weeks out when they'll peak. The weather itself is bound to be better in Sep in general - book for that reason. The scenery is just as nice with greener foliage.

Don't say that!!   We are coming a long way just to see those leaves!!!!

I'm checking the foliage forecast on a daily basis now...!

Edited by little britain

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

We're thinking about booking the Adventure for the September 24th for a Fall season cruise out of Bayonne, NJ.  Typically speaking, would the fall foilage to be full effect by this time frame? 

Best bet for leaf peeping in New England is to book for October, but as Biker said, we can't really tell peak season till it is almost upon us.  All weather dependent - sometimes early, sometimes late. 

6 minutes ago, little britain said:

You might get color changes in late September as you head north.  I will have a chat with Mother Nature and see if we can work some magic for you.  😀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, little britain said:

One good rainstorm and all those leaves will be on the ground.  Or frost.  Or snowstorm . Or...you get the picture.  I grew up in the Adirondack mountains and each year was different. As far as peak colors were concerned.  

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Little Brit,  are you planning to do any land touring before or after your cruise?  Honestly, in late Sept/very early October, the most reliable foliage will be at higher elevations, rather than at sea level.  A car trip to the Green Mountains of Vermont or the White Mountains of New Hampshire would be pretty reliable to have beautiful colors.  Enjoy!  

Well to be sure... cruising out of Jersey would be all about a visit to NYC and especially to Yankee stadium to watch the Stros. I guess we can give up a little bit of Fall Colors as part of the deal! We're headed out on Symphony this Saturday so the Next Cruise desk might be in play!  

Thanks for the feedback everybody! 

13 hours ago, little britain said:

What about footwear please? 

Last year, I wore slip on walking shoes, walking sandals, and on the ship at night had both sandals and close toed ballet shoes. 

I wore all all of them. 

4 hours ago, the2006Junket said:

Little Brit,  are you planning to do any land touring before or after your cruise?  Honestly, in late Sept/very early October, the most reliable foliage will be at higher elevations, rather than at sea level.  A car trip to the Green Mountains of Vermont or the White Mountains of New Hampshire would be pretty reliable to have beautiful colors.  Enjoy!  

We have a car in Portland... we were going to Kennebunkport but currently googling a place called Conway NH which looks close to the mountains.....thanks for your input x

19 minutes ago, little britain said:

We have a car in Portland... we were going to Kennebunkport but currently googling a place called Conway NH which looks close to the mountains.....thanks for your input x

Are you trying to do North Conway and Kennebunkport in one port day?  They are not in the same direction at all.

https://northconwaynh.com/

Edited by reallyitsmema

So on the other side of the layers thing- we were in Rockport, Maine two years ago on our Quebec City to New Jersey cruise, and it was over 90 in late September.  This after being really cool in Quebec City.

We were somewhat unprepared, and has to get some new clothes in Rockport.  It wasn't until we got past Boston did it actually cool down.

Could be in the 40-50 range and it could be in the 80s.  Be ready for everything, and layers does the best for that.