How busy is Santorini

Suzy69

Hi, on the Star end of Sept. Really would like to see Oia. How busy is it, I know it depends on how many shops are in. On the date we are in docked are one of 5 ships,and the 2nd last to leave. Seems v stressful from the reviews I have read. Thanks in advance for any replies.

1 hour ago, Suzy69 said:

Hi, on the Star end of Sept. Really would like to see Oia. How busy is it, I know it depends on how many shops are in. On the date we are in docked are one of 5 ships,and the 2nd last to leave. Seems v stressful from the reviews I have read. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I was in Santorini last week on MSC Magnifica. Four ships were in port and Oia and Fira felt very crowded. I suggest you research a restaurant to land in as a way to get off the path but still enjoy the awesome views. 

If you arrive at a decent time (early afternoon/lunchtime) it is doable.  You can then have a lovely lunch overlooking the caldera and go over to Oia after lunch.  No matter what time you go to Oia, however, it will be a complete zoo.  Don't even think about going there to see the sunset.  It takes all the fun and enjoyment out of the experience whether you go with a group or on your own.  Sorry.

14 hours ago, Suzy69 said:

You don't dock  at Santorini, you tender. While you may be able to see that there are five ships there that day that does not include the local ferries, the smaller Greek lines, etc. It could be very crowded.

The beauty of Oia is the sunset, not so much the village itself which is similar to Thira. It is worth going ashore to visit. You will find that most of the stress is getting up the hill after you land. People often complain about the wait to go down the hill, but I find that it is easier to just walk down, just watch out for the donkeys and their droppings. The view is beautiful.