Departing from Charleston, SC?

wgeddings

I am from South Carolina so have been to Charleston many times but this is the first time we have cruised out of Charleston (usually we go out of FL ports).  Charleston is a little more expensive and we generally prefer longer cruises but the 4 night one fit our schedule and needs this time.  I wanted to share my observations and experience about the Port of Charleston. 

First, it is not in the middle of nowhere.  It is in the downtown area.  It is near the wonderful aquarium and many other Charleston features.  There are a lot of signs to help direct you and finding it should be no problem.  However, the port itself is not very much to look at it.  There are several dilapidated buildings (large warehouses with severely damaged roofs) you see from the ship and driving in there are many things you will pass in the port that will make you worry you are in the wrong place.  It is a lot of construction going on so when you go, it may look completely different but as of Sept 1, 2019, it was not really a good reflection of the beauty of Charleston.  

When you arrive, you are directed to a large warehouse where you check in.  While walking to the check-in warehouse, there are many porters right there to take your bags.  We planned on carrying our bags on but at the last minute decided to check them and I am glad that I did!  If you did the online check in, it goes very quickly and they simply take a picture of your passport (or your driver's license if you are using a birth certificate) and stamp your boarding pass that you printed from him.  Then you are directed out of the check-in warehouse and outside to board a bus.  There is no one there to help with luggage so that is one reason I am glad we checked ours.  The bus takes you through a secure area to another warehouse.  In this warehouse, you go through security screening where you walk through a metal detector, have bags X-rayed and searched.  The metal detectors are VERY sensitive and the change in my pocket set it off although that never happened before in airports so keep that in mind.  

After security, you are directed to the end of the warehouse where you go up about 2 flights of stairs (there is an elevator but they discourage using it if you are not handicapped).  Once again, glad I checked the bags.  The stairs lead to another room where ship personnel check your boarding pass to scan you in.  You do not get keys (your Sign and Sail card) until you get to your stateroom.  Then you walk up a serious of 4-5 ramps that will take you onboard coming through the level 3 lobby.  Once again, not very scenic looking back to the port but it is what it is. 

DEBARKATION 

Since our cruise never made landfall (due to Hurricane Dorian we just had 3 Sea Days which was fine), there was no issue about customs and no customs to pass through.  Looking out at the port while we ate breakfast was sad because as I said, the port does not reflect what a wonderful place Charleston is.  Leaving the ship was largely a reverse of the boarding process except there were no stairs (ramps lead to the ground this time).  Luggage in was the security warehouse.  Luggage was loaded onto a bus that took you to the parking lot where they had an open warehouse as a waiting area.  Plenty of porters offering to help and the personnel were generally friendly and helpful.  

Although we did not park at the port, the parking lot was a large open area and appeared secure.  Parking was $20 per day but of course check on it when you plan to park in case it changes.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from a cruise that was diverted from Bermuda to Charleston.  I was pleasantly surprised by the helpful people at the terminal who had guidebooks and maps for us.  The area was very walkable with a larger market nearby and another block from it had lots of other shopping.

Beautiful old houses, several parks, and nice water views (we even saw a dolphin 🙂 ) were all seen on our walk.  You can also get horse drawn carriage rides with tour guides and there is a water taxi to take you to other attractions (we discovered it too late).

We usually sail from Baltimore and it isn't a very picturesque port either 😉 

• 3 weeks later...