In cabin dining

Lolou127

The room service menu isn't at all bad from what I remember and is included for all cabin grades, forward and aft suite passengers can have dinner from the MDR menu served in the cabin. On top of that, forward suite passengers can have dinner from the alternative restaurants served in cabin.

Thank you KentChris, so we could eat in our cabin on the formal nights? we both love what we’ve so far researched about the Saga Fjords cruise, but neither of us are formal dressing up types, smart yes but not DJ’s and cocktail dresses, if we could get round those 2 evenings by eating in our cabin we’d be happy 

If your OH could bear to enhance his already 'smart' style with maybe a dark jacket and a tie for the duration of your meal and as for ladies, really, from witnessing formal evenings on Sapphire, it almost seems anything smart goes - no cocktail dresses necessary, there would be no need to hide away in your cabin.

Give it a try, there are no weight issues as far as luggage goes.

I'm not being judgemental, we prefer the style on Oceania, but would encourage you to just give it a chance.😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lolou127 said:

Thank you KentChris, so we could eat in our cabin on the formal nights? we both love what we’ve so far researched about the Saga Fjords cruise, but neither of us are formal dressing up types, smart yes but not DJ’s and cocktail dresses, if we could get round those 2 evenings by eating in our cabin we’d be happy 

Room service of one kind or another is nominally the only alternative to dressing up on formal nights as the dress code applies to all public areas.

The dress code in the pre-cruise book is worded more permissively than the brief description in the FAQ: evening gown or cocktail dress are preferred and 'a dress suit or elegant separates are also a great choice' for ladies, and a dark suit (and tie, not necessarily dark) for gents as an alternative to DJ/tux. If your 'smart' is reasonably close to that you should be OK - we've done enough formal nights for my wife to have refined things down to a bright jacket over a dark top, or black jacket over a bright top, plus plain black trousers being enough to comply with the spirit of the dress code (which IMO is more important than the letter). 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JoJo1947 said:

Unless Saga have changed the rules ALL cabin grades have the same Room Service Menu plus dinner menu. 

That’s correct, every cabin grade can eat from the GDR menu during opening hours. My previous post was based on the cabin amenity information on doing a dummy booking, the only source of dining information I could find, so Saga need to clear that up. 

The coffee table in the twin rooms doesn’t really lend itself to a sit down type meal, I’ll try to remember to ask our steward if they provide a higher table when the GDR food is served. 

Okay. I’ve not been on the SOD as yet but in my experience on Pearl 2 and the Sapphire eating in the cabin was not an issue for me but it was only breakfast or snacks but all other meal times were in the restaurant of choice. I love dressing appropriately for that night in keeping with Saga’s classic cruising appeal .