Ocho Rios Jamaica

beshears

As I mention in another question, the Jamaica sight doesn't seem to have the followers like here in the general Carnival sight.

Ā 

I wanted (been over 20 years) to visit a plantation, but I understand it is about 2 hours from Ocho Rios where we will be docking.Ā  I have 7 others with me, and what would you suggest that we SEE/do around Ocho Rios, or close by?

2 minutes ago, beshears said:

As I mention in another question, the Jamaica sight doesn't seem to have the followers like here in the general Carnival sight.

Ā 

I wanted (been over 20 years) to visit a plantation, but I understand it is about 2 hours from Ocho Rios where we will be docking.Ā  I have 7 others with me, and what would you suggest that we SEE/do around Ocho Rios, or close by?

From what others say, Dunn River Falls, Blue Hole, etc.

16 minutes ago, beshears said:

Ā 

Ā 

Perhaps you can find a near by resort that offers day passes and transportion to and from the port?Ā  You don't say what your group interests are, so to suggest Blue Mt., scuba or snorkeling trips or DRF may or may not be suitable.

2 hours ago, beshears said:

Ā 

We just go toĀ Margaritaville at the port, there's a pool, a small beach with beach chairs to rent, some shopping, and food choices all there!

Ā 

We think of the other boardsĀ here on Cruise Critic like the Jamaica board as places to do our homework. I don't think weĀ have ever posted a question on those boards but they are fun to navigate through a few pages of past threads to learn what we need to know. Cruise Critic is a big website and a great resource.

Have fun on your cruise and in Jamaica.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, as suggested, Dunns River Falls should be a must for my 3 sons and wives.Ā  It is beautiful to see and "watch" everyone else hold each other's hands, trying NOT to slip on those rocks, etc. One of the ladies at our table years ago, did wind up with a broken finger.Ā  As I mentioned, I would love to see a plantation, but there may not be one around anymore that people can see or visit, or it may be too far away from the area we will be in.Ā  I will take into consideration the other suggestions as well. šŸ™‚

I will throw in another vote for Dunns River Falls.Ā  We had a great time climbing the falls.Ā  It was challenging for sure, but a real blast.Ā  We combined it with a trip to the Cool Blue Hole, another climb up water falls, but not as extensive as Dunns River.Ā  The fun part is you don't climb down, first you slide from the top to a small pool, then you jump from ledge to pool, each jump higher than the next and finally a zip line drop into the final pool.Ā  It was incredible!

I was born and raised in Jamaica so I can give you a few tips. Many of which are not evenĀ on Carnival's website.

What kind of activities are you guys into? (The best plantations are in Montego Bay which is far away and I would not recommend going so far).

Let me know what you guys are interested in and I can give you some suggestions. I could even connect you with my uncle who actually takes around tourists as his day job.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

First time to Ochi Rios with wife and two kids (10-12). Just wonder if we "need" to do any excursions, or is it possible to do something close to port like beach etc without doing the day passes at a resort?Ā 

If going to any of the Dunns/Blu Hole, can it be done on our own with local bus/taxi?Ā 

Jamericann, I may be getting back with you in regard to Jamaica, once we get our flights booked. I would love to visit the plantation again, but I understand it is too far from where we will be docking. I just have GOOD memories of it years ago!

On 11/16/2019 at 9:57 AM, BadSanta said:

First time to Ochi Rios with wife and two kids (10-12). Just wonder if we "need" to do any excursions, or is it possible to do something close to port like beach etc without doing the day passes at a resort?Ā 

If going to any of the Dunns/Blu Hole, can it be done on our own with local bus/taxi?Ā 

I recall that there was a beach quite close to the pier, when we were there several years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ā€Ž11ā€Ž/ā€Ž16ā€Ž/ā€Ž2019 at 6:57 AM, BadSanta said:

Ocho Rios has a beach right at the port.Ā  For an inexpensive DIY day... When you exit the ship and go through the port area, stay to the left.Ā  There will be a path that leads towards the water along the bay.Ā  A gate through the fence has a guard who lets you through onto the beach for a few dollars a person.Ā  Walk a couple hundred yards along the beach to a thatched open air beach bar hut and they can set you up with beach chairs (and umbrella if you want it) for a small fee.Ā  There are palm trees you can set up near if you don't want an umbrella all day.Ā  Get drinks from the bar or they bring them to you if it's a slow day on the beach.Ā  The last time I was there two years ago, I paid $3 to get onto the beach, $5 for a padded beach chair, and $3 each for Red StripeĀ beers and $2 for Ting.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 4:37 AM, beshears said:

Yes, as suggested, Dunns River Falls should be a must for my 3 sons and wives.Ā  It is beautiful to see and "watch" everyone else hold each other's hands, trying NOT to slip on those rocks, etc. One of the ladies at our table years ago, did wind up with a broken finger.Ā  As I mentioned, I would love to see a plantation, but there may not be one around anymore that people can see or visit, or it may be too far away from the area we will be in.Ā  I will take into consideration the other suggestions as well. šŸ™‚

I highly recommend coolblueholeochorios.com way better than Dunn's River Falls.Ā 

On 9/4/2019 at 1:03 PM, AmBear said:

We just go toĀ Margaritaville at the port, there's a pool, a small beach with beach chairs to rent, some shopping, and food choices all there!

Ā 

How is the beach here?Ā  I havent found too much info on this, but it sounds up our alley!Ā  Low key inexpensive day at the beach by the port with a couple drinks and sand for the kids.Ā  We wont be the only ones from the ship right?Ā  Id like to be at least around other tourists since we'll be on our own..

Ā 

Will we "find" it by just walking from the port/follow crowd/signs?

Ā 

Thank you!

3 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

How is the beach here?Ā  I havent found too much info on this, but it sounds up our alley!Ā  Low key inexpensive day at the beach by the port with a couple drinks and sand for the kids.Ā  We wont be the only ones from the ship right?Ā  Id like to be at least around other tourists since we'll be on our own..

Ā 

Will we "find" it by just walking from the port/follow crowd/signs?

Ā 

Thank you!

its an ok beach, small, fills up quick with people from the ship, but its close and safe!

• Thanks 1

Nott sure about how safe. We did Dunn's River Falls with all-inclusive beach which was a secure beach. When they tell you to only get in taxi's with red plates and there are armed military all around with machine guns, how safe are you if you are out on your own.