Alaska....Which Ship?

On 9/4/2019 at 7:57 AM, nyyhoneybee said:

Looking possibly to book Alaska for 2022....what ship would you recommend (assuming of course they don't change ships from what's there now)? 

On 9/4/2019 at 8:13 AM, nyyhoneybee said:

I'm asking specifically on Royal, just in case we take the kids. 

Best ship hands down by a mile, even without the kids, is Ovation. Those cruisers who have never been on a Quantum Class ship will only talk about Radiance not knowing what Ovation gives you in comparison. Ovation has more outward views from more public spaces than Radiance. Now add the modern decor and cabins, updated shows, amenities, Two70, the incredible Solarium, multiple pools, better dining venues, and especially SeaPlex for the kids... 100% no brainer. If you take the kids, easier flying to Seattle round trip.

Choose Ovation for the ship, however ........

if you actually wish to see more Alaskan ports that Ovation does not visit (Ketchikan, Icy Strait, etc) so that you can have more of an Alaskan experience vs. a RCL ship experience, you'll have to choose Radiance or Serenade. You mentioned you wished to stick with Royal, however NCL Bliss has the best itineraries for the large/shiny/new mega ships which include both Glacier Bay + Ketchikan out of Seattle round trip.

Agree with Island Lady -- we too thought our first Alaska trip was our "once in a lifetime" trip, but we liked it so much that we're not looking at Alaskan cruise #4. We've done both cruisetours and cruises (all on Holland so far) but are considering Royal for our next one. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've been on Freedom class and Oasis class and I agree bigger doesn't always mean better. However... that North Star looks really amazing hope it's worth it. And my husband said he would never book a ship that doesn't have Sorrento's so there you have it. Ovation for us. 

On 9/5/2019 at 11:49 AM, Hoopster95 said:

Best ship hands down by a mile, even without the kids, is Ovation. Those cruisers who have never been on a Quantum Class ship will only talk about Radiance not knowing what Ovation gives you in comparison. Ovation has more outward views from more public spaces than Radiance. Now add the modern decor and cabins, updated shows, amenities, Two70, the incredible Solarium, multiple pools, better dining venues, and especially SeaPlex for the kids... 100% no brainer. If you take the kids, easier flying to Seattle round trip.

Choose Ovation for the ship, however ........

if you actually wish to see more Alaskan ports that Ovation does not visit (Ketchikan, Icy Strait, etc) so that you can have more of an Alaskan experience vs. a RCL ship experience, you'll have to choose Radiance or Serenade. You mentioned you wished to stick with Royal, however NCL Bliss has the best itineraries for the large/shiny/new mega ships which include both Glacier Bay + Ketchikan out of Seattle round trip.

Ovation does Glacier bay at the end of August next year

image.png.0d5c2f127d63652f2d3ff2608b8b9ccf.png

1 minute ago, ryano said:

I chose the week before and Im not sure how I missed this  😞   We are going to Endicott Arm

It might not of been there when you looked. They dropped  Radiance to glacier bay  for most of August.

6 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I recommend doing a NB or SB, not the round trip one...  we really liked Radiance 🙂. We did NB with a portside balcony and had great views 🙂

Wouldn't you want starboard side on a North Bound so you can see Alaska while cruising instead of just looking out at the ocean?

Dan

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 3:57 PM, AlanF65 said:

It might not of been there when you looked. They dropped  Radiance to glacier bay  for most of August.

We are B2B 8/14 and 8/28.   Still same route as in years past.  

SOUTHBOUND ALASKA & HUBBARD ADVENTURE STARTS HERE

Seward , Alaska | Hubbard Glacier , Alaska | Juneau , Alaska | Skagway , Alaska | Icy Strait Point , Alaska | Ketchikan , Alaska | Inside Passage , Canada | Vancouver , British Columbia

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

We are B2B 8/14 and 8/28.   Still same route as in years past.  

SOUTHBOUND ALASKA & HUBBARD ADVENTURE STARTS HERE

Seward , Alaska | Hubbard Glacier , Alaska | Juneau , Alaska | Skagway , Alaska | Icy Strait Point , Alaska | Ketchikan , Alaska | Inside Passage , Canada | Vancouver , British Columbia

I am B2B in May15and22 and Glacier Bay replaced Skagway both directions, did it for most cruises until August. One direction is a little less time in Juneau (not enough to take adventure bound to Tracy Arm)

3 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

I am B2B in May15and22 and Glacier Bay replaced Skagway both directions, did it for most cruises until August. One direction is a little less time in Juneau (not enough to take adventure bound to Tracy Arm)

OK...but was confused when you said the itinerary had changed for "most of August".  It is the same original itinerary for all of August.  🤔

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

OK...but was confused when you said the itinerary had changed for "most of August".  It is the same original itinerary for all of August.  🤔

I thought there was one last week that did Glacier bay in August, its not there any more.

image.png

1 hour ago, island lady said:

That is why that side of the ship sells out faster.  😉 

Yeah, when my parents did their very first cruise about 15 years ago (Celebrity Summit) it was a northbound from Vancouver to Anchorage.  I had never cruised before, but after helping them plan their cruise I thought about where they should have their balcony cabin.  I'm glad we considered it because we came to the realization that starboard side would be facing land far more than port side.  They called Celebrity and got the VERY LAST balcony cabin available on starboard side.  When they got back from the cruise they were so thankful they did.  👍

Dan 

3 hours ago, island lady said:

9256 or 1100?   Loved doing our B2B in 9256.  🙂 

1100 was great weather this year and alaska was pretty warm.  The only bad part was the haze from the forest fires.  Also did not se as much animals on the water as 2017. 

We just did northbound as we did the land tour and I have to say that was beautiful.  The land tour is definitely the way to go.  Planning to do the northbound in 2022 then rent an RV for a week and explore alaska.  Then return on a southbound cruise.  

Edited by frank808

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Yeah, when my parents did their very first cruise about 15 years ago (Celebrity Summit) it was a northbound from Vancouver to Anchorage.  I had never cruised before, but after helping them plan their cruise I thought about where they should have their balcony cabin.  I'm glad we considered it because we came to the realization that starboard side would be facing land far more than port side.  They called Celebrity and got the VERY LAST balcony cabin available on starboard side.  When they got back from the cruise they were so thankful they did.  👍

Dan 

Smart move!  Definitely the best side for balcony cabins.  😉 

Me...I am in same cabin for both legs.  So I guess we will have different views for each leg...with one being better than the other, but still beautiful none the less.  🙂 

42 minutes ago, frank808 said:

1100 was great weather this year and alaska was pretty warm.  The only bad part was the haze from the forest fires.  Also did not se as much animals on the water as 2017. 

We just did northbound as we did the land tour and I have to say that was beautiful.  The land tour is definitely the way to go.  Planning to do the northbound in 2022 then rent an RV for a week and explore alaska.  Then return on a southbound cruise.  

Nice!!  

We are doing a self land tour in August for two weeks prior, mixing in various little rental cabins and some B&Bs.  On to board southbound Radiance (after train down), then back north again on Radiance.  

RV??  No...we have been in the "land yacht" now since early June on our summer tour.  Flying out to Lake Chelan on the 12th, then back in the bus for a month in the Keys in November.  Looking forward to having another captain do the driving once we get back into cruise mode by December.  😉 

Edited by island lady