Cape Liberty Port Acessibilty

Hi to all who have boarded and disembarked from Cape Liberty in Bayonne,

I hope to leave on Saturday, Dorian permitting.  I walk with a cane and stairs and slopes are problematic.  I have used wheelchairs and porters in the past when the gangways are really long and steep but would prefer not to if possible.  From the videos I have seen, I think there is an elevator and then a pretty level gangway onto Anthem of the Seas.  Can anyone confirm this from their experience?  Or should I wave down a wheelchair when I get there?

I have 'booked' a wheelchair at other ports but have still needed to flag one down once I am in the terminal so I am not sure how helpful 'booking' is.

Thank you for your responses.

We boarded in Cape Liberty with a handicapped person using a cane. If you pass the first ramp, the looonnnngggg, steep one, there is another, shorter, more level one. It made all the difference. You should ask one of the persons working by the entrance. They will direct you. Have a great time!

How do you book a wheelchair at other ports? Did you rent one an d have it in your room for you when you board the ship. Royal does not provide them for passengers. All they will do is is  bring a passenger to their room at the start of the cruise and get them off at the end. Expect that process to take about two hours each way.

2 minutes ago, mets123 said:

How do you book a wheelchair at other ports? Did you rent one an d have it in your room for you when you board the ship....

Yes, you would have to rent one from one of the companies that specializes in cruise ship rentals.

4 hours ago, BashfulBeki said:

Hi to all who have boarded and disembarked from Cape Liberty in Bayonne,

I hope to leave on Saturday, Dorian permitting.  I walk with a cane and stairs and slopes are problematic.  I have used wheelchairs and porters in the past when the gangways are really long and steep but would prefer not to if possible.  From the videos I have seen, I think there is an elevator and then a pretty level gangway onto Anthem of the Seas.  Can anyone confirm this from their experience?  Or should I wave down a wheelchair when I get there?

I have 'booked' a wheelchair at other ports but have still needed to flag one down once I am in the terminal so I am not sure how helpful 'booking' is.

Thank you for your responses.

Cape Liberty does great with those with mobility issues.  When you pull up to the port, their is a port worker who shows you where he wants you to go at the curb.  Tell him you have someone with mobility issues and he will send you to the handicap drop off area which is closest to the door to the terminal.  Once inside, there is a xray machine that they send you to all the way to the right.  They also send strollers there too so it can be slow.  There is an elevator to get to  gangway level and a separate gangway that is shorter and flatter that they will send you to also.  We have found the workers at the port to be very helpful.

The website for the port says "Passengers with special accessibility needs should contact their cruise line for further assistance and information."

At the very least, let them know you'd like assistance during check-in and boarding, you would stand a better chance than if you showed up unannounced looking for it.

Thank you for all the replies.  I do not need to rent one since my issues are simply getting aboard and off if the gangway is very steep or includes many stairs.  Once I am onboard, there is usually enough arm rails and sitting areas that I may not even use my cane - just my companion’s elbow.

I or my TA have ‘booked’ me a boarding wheelchair in the past, but the port workers don’t know who the heck I am when I arrive so it hasn’t been very helpful and I just hobble over to the folks around the wheelchairs when I park (Manhattan port) and they whisk me away.

As for the handicapped/stroller entrance, I am the driver of this expedition. So I will be parking the car and working my way over to the terminal.  Are you suggesting to not follow the crowds and ask a worker for guidance to the accessible entry?

Thanks again. You are all terrific.

12 minutes ago, BashfulBeki said:

Thank you for all the replies.  I do not need to rent one since my issues are simply getting aboard and off if the gangway is very steep or includes many stairs.  Once I am onboard, there is usually enough arm rails and sitting areas that I may not even use my cane - just my companion’s elbow.

I or my TA have ‘booked’ me a boarding wheelchair in the past, but the port workers don’t know who the heck I am when I arrive so it hasn’t been very helpful and I just hobble over to the folks around the wheelchairs when I park (Manhattan port) and they whisk me away.

As for the handicapped/stroller entrance, I am the driver of this expedition. So I will be parking the car and working my way over to the terminal.  Are you suggesting to not follow the crowds and ask a worker for guidance to the accessible entry?

Thanks again. You are all terrific.

No, I was saying if you were being dropped at the curb with the bags, tell the guy that points to where he wants you to go and he will send you to the handicap drop off zone.  If you are the driver, drop off the bags at the curb and head to the garage.  If you have a handicap placard, the parking is on the street level of the garage.  Otherwise, follow the crowds.  

Just sailed Anthem out of Cape Liberty in May....the gangway was relatively short and not much of an incline, compared to some....I have gone out of Cape Liberty on others, and there was more of an incline.  I think it depends on the water level on the day of boarding?  Like other posters above stated, they are very accommodating and will direct you accordingly!