If loyalty programs were discontinued...

Cruiser_1977

If loyalty programs were discontinued...  

80 members have voted

1. 1. If loyalty programs were discontinued...

• Would you stop cruising?
    • Would you sail different cruise lines?
    • Would you continue to cruise your current favorite?

On 9/8/2019 at 6:19 PM, ilikeanswers said:

A question to the people who have cruise loyalty programs are your freebies and perks personalised to what you want? Or is there just a standard set every cruise? 

Its been 5 years since I've cruised RCI so my info might be a little dated, but I do remember being able to choose certain gifts.  It's part of the Diamond Plus perk, with extra choices once you reach so many points within that same level.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2019 at 7:53 AM, Zach1213 said:

The only people who care are that person and the people paid to artificially care

I don't know, seem to be a few posters who are really put out by someone else wearing a pin.   

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I don't know, seem to be a few posters who are really put out by someone else wearing a pin.   

I find it amusing that people would be so proud of the pin that they want to flaunt it around to everyone as if those without one should bow or curtsy to them.  The ludicrous thing is that the value of the "gifts" is miniscule.

My cruise line of choice gives me 5% off all cabins on all cruises (no blackout dates or capacity controls)--and that can be stacked with other discounts.  I prefer that to a dollar store pin, a $3 bottle of "wine", and a bunch of perks that are already complimentary to all with the cruise line I sail on.  

Personally I think it's foolish to get stuck in a rut with one line and not try others.  Try 3-4 lines and go back to the one that you like the best.  You don't know what it's like on the other side until you give it a try.

I don't understand the people who get upset when the "Perks" or loyalty gifts are deemed "Not good enough."  I have never understood people who cruise for status.

We cruise because we like the destinations and the pleasant way to get there.  Is it a plus that I get a free ice cream?  Yes, but that is just a bonus.  Really don't care about the stuff.  I just want to have a great vacation.  We only cruise about every other year or so.  I think when you cruise more often, you lose the joy in it and start getting "Nit-picky" about everything.

So, to answer the question, yes, I would continue to cruise without the stuff.  😃

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ducklite said:

I find it amusing that people would be so proud of the pin that they want to flaunt it around to everyone as if those without one should bow or curtsy to them.  The ludicrous thing is that the value of the "gifts" is miniscule.

My cruise line of choice gives me 5% off all cabins on all cruises (no blackout dates or capacity controls)--and that can be stacked with other discounts.  I prefer that to a dollar store pin, a $3 bottle of "wine", and a bunch of perks that are already complimentary to all with the cruise line I sail on.  

Haha, I've never felt I was expected to bow or curtsy to someone wearing a cruise status pin.   Based on your limited exposure to mass market lines, I'm actually surprised you have had that much exposure to make this an issue.  

Let's keep in mind that on your preferred line, those things are not really complimentary.  A higher fare is paid to get that "free" stuff.  One of the benefits of your line of choice.  

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

Haha, I've never felt I was expected to bow or curtsy to someone wearing a cruise status pin.   Based on your limited exposure to mass market lines, I'm actually surprised you have had that much exposure to make this an issue.  

Let's keep in mind that on your preferred line, those things are not really complimentary.  A higher fare is paid to get that "free" stuff.  One of the benefits of your line of choice.  

Maybe you missed the people with their dollar store pin photos in their signatures on these lines.  

As to my preferred line, much of the higher fare is due to intanglibles.  Higher space to passenger ratio.  Higher crew to passenger ratio.  Lower passenger loads to being with.  Higher quality food.  No wait to board, no wait to disembark, no wait for tenders.  Open seating without lines or waits.

in the dining rooms without an additional charge.  I can order a NY strip every night without any extra charge.  On Carnival that would come to $200 for two people five nights. 

To eat at the specialty restaurants on RCCL it's $50 per person.  Do that for two nights and you've spent $200.  On my line of choice, I can eat at each of the specialty restaurants and go back again as many times as I'd like as long as there is availability.  No extra charge regardless.  

I can drink all the soda, juice, and specialty coffee I want all day long with no extra charge.  On RCCL, that would run me $364 for two people for a week. 

I arrive at my stateroom and there is fresh fruit and flowers that are complementary.  I can't find exactly that on any of the mass market cruise sites, but $40 is probably a fair value.  We'll be cruising on my husbands birthday, he'll get a free cake.  Other lines would charge $25 for it. 

We'll have two dinners by James Beard chefs with wine pairings included in our cruise fare.  That would be like eating at a specialty restaurant and getting wine pairings, that's equivalent to Remy at  $460 for two on DCL. 

I'm up to just under $1300, and that's before the required gratuity on those items.  So I get included in our cruise fare what everyone else pays $1500+ for.  Plus the intangbiles.   Hmmm...  

4 hours ago, ducklite said:

Maybe you missed the people with their dollar store pin photos in their signatures on these lines.  

As to my preferred line, much of the higher fare is due to intanglibles.  Higher space to passenger ratio.  Higher crew to passenger ratio.  Lower passenger loads to being with.  Higher quality food.  No wait to board, no wait to disembark, no wait for tenders.  Open seating without lines or waits.

in the dining rooms without an additional charge.  I can order a NY strip every night without any extra charge.  On Carnival that would come to $200 for two people five nights. 

To eat at the specialty restaurants on RCCL it's $50 per person.  Do that for two nights and you've spent $200.  On my line of choice, I can eat at each of the specialty restaurants and go back again as many times as I'd like as long as there is availability.  No extra charge regardless.  

I can drink all the soda, juice, and specialty coffee I want all day long with no extra charge.  On RCCL, that would run me $364 for two people for a week. 

I arrive at my stateroom and there is fresh fruit and flowers that are complementary.  I can't find exactly that on any of the mass market cruise sites, but $40 is probably a fair value.  We'll be cruising on my husbands birthday, he'll get a free cake.  Other lines would charge $25 for it. 

We'll have two dinners by James Beard chefs with wine pairings included in our cruise fare.  That would be like eating at a specialty restaurant and getting wine pairings, that's equivalent to Remy at  $460 for two on DCL. 

I'm up to just under $1300, and that's before the required gratuity on those items.  So I get included in our cruise fare what everyone else pays $1500+ for.  Plus the intangbiles.   Hmmm...  

Nope, didn't miss the status in signatures.  I just don't take issue with them the way you do.  I'm pretty comfortable with my social status and don't feel in any way threatened or put out if someone wants to celebrate how many cruises they have joined.  If they feel the pins have some prestige, then good for them.  I feel no need to show disdain.   

BTW, I was not intending to be critical of your cruise line.  I'm pretty sure there is a lot of added value for the higher fare.  Sorry if you took it otherwise.  

There was one of the cruise documentaries on tv in the uk a while ago, not the current one about the so called poshest ship.

Anyway they followed folk around that were all vying to be the best or.most travelled and have the most points or whatever they are called.

They were a pretty sad bunch, mainly old folk that cared a little too much about their status and how close they would get seated to the captain at their very special gala event.

I didn't even know having a meal with the captain was a thing?

Except of course they aren't having a meal with the captain. They re just in the same restaurant at the same time sat about 30 feet away. Acting like they are in the presence of royalty.

If they sucked up anymore they would explode.

5 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

There was one of the cruise documentaries on tv in the uk a while ago, not the current one about the so called poshest ship.

Anyway they followed folk around that were all vying to be the best or.most travelled and have the most points or whatever they are called.

They were a pretty sad bunch, mainly old folk that cared a little too much about their status and how close they would get seated to the captain at their very special gala event.

Except of course they aren't having a meal with the captain. They re just in the same restaurant at the same time sat about 30 feet away. Acting like they are in the presence of royalty.

Haha, I can't avoid becoming one of the old folk, but I try very hard not to act like one of them!  

• Haha 1

(I'm not sure if this is still a thing)
At Sandals resorts you get a leather necklace with leather sandals for each trip. I saw people walking around with dozens and dozens of these necklaces and thought how silly. "Look at me - Look at me!"

To each their own.

Edited by Mike981
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

We've had dinner with the Captain twice.  Same table for eight.  We went because we felt it would be bad form to decline.  It was enjoyable (both were very engaging dinner companions), but it's not something we care about one way or the other.

On 9/29/2019 at 10:57 AM, rimmit said:

.......Ships could eventually follow a Disney Dining plan model.

I have never looked into Disney. What is their model plan?

On 9/30/2019 at 12:27 AM, JupiterTwo said:

If they get rid of the pepper grinders, I'm gone! 🙄

Steve

The catsup also or was it the mayo?

On 9/17/2019 at 5:08 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

I feel you should dress up if you want. What exactly are “slobs” in your opinion?

Slobs imo are people who wear shorts, tank tops, t-shirts, flip flops, dirty, ratty, etc. to the MDR. This is more of something I would expect to see in the Windjammer. 

5 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I have never looked into Disney. What is their model plan?

Basically you get points.  Each point is worth a meal.  Some meals (Like Cinderella's Royal Table, and the higher end meet and greet character finings) are worth two points and quick service meals are on another tier.  You can also convert meals into snacks. So one quick service meal could be worth three snacks.

I could easily see RCI implementing a model that gives you maybe 7 points for the week to use onboard.  The buffet would be free. The MDR would be like 1 point. If you wanted to eat at a specialty that would be worth 2-3 points based on the specialty.  They could offer specials on buying more points, or promos for more points.  Or they could just use a tier system.  They give you so many gold points that get you to the MDR.  And so many Diamond points for Specialty.  There are tons of ways they can modify this, but the bottom line, is some "point" system in the future could be coming that limits MDR access.  HAL already tried to limit their MDR to only one main entree. From my understanding the push back was pretty high, but cruise lines are experimenting to see what people will and won't tolerate.

4 hours ago, rimmit said:

Basically you get points.  Each point is worth a meal.  Some meals (Like Cinderella's Royal Table, and the higher end meet and greet character finings) are worth two points and quick service meals are on another tier.  You can also convert meals into snacks. So one quick service meal could be worth three snacks.

I could easily see RCI implementing a model that gives you maybe 7 points for the week to use onboard.  The buffet would be free. The MDR would be like 1 point. If you wanted to eat at a specialty that would be worth 2-3 points based on the specialty.  They could offer specials on buying more points, or promos for more points.  Or they could just use a tier system.  They give you so many gold points that get you to the MDR.  And so many Diamond points for Specialty.  There are tons of ways they can modify this, but the bottom line, is some "point" system in the future could be coming that limits MDR access.  HAL already tried to limit their MDR to only one main entree. From my understanding the push back was pretty high, but cruise lines are experimenting to see what people will and won't tolerate.

Thanks for the info. That is different.

On 9/23/2019 at 8:23 AM, ducklite said:

Sounds like the rationale for choosing on the basis of net cost rather than real value.

I would prefer to pay more for an itinerary I really wanted than get free stuff  - which is nice, of course — but hardly the rationale for cruising.

7 hours ago, rimmit said:

Interesting.  Kind of like the old E tickets at Disneyland.  

I would think they would just have one fare inclusive of the MDR and one that including only the buffet. Maybe with additional options to use the MDR similar to a speciality restnt.  Might be OK with me as long as quality is made a priority. 

On 9/23/2019 at 12:55 PM, DarrenM said:

Fair enough. Its just not something I aspire to. I suspect I would hate it.

Agree.  We have respectfully declined invitations to dine with the ship officers in the past.  Don't want a pic with them either.  If they want a pic with me, I guess I'm OK with that.   😎

I have a lot of respect for the knowledge and experience not to mention the responsibility of these folks.   Enjoy talking to professionals like these folks, but a special dinner party -- no thanks.     

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Sounds like the rationale for choosing on the basis of net cost rather than real value.

I would prefer to pay more for an itinerary I really wanted than get free stuff  - which is nice, of course — but hardly the rationale for cruising.

Going to pay for it one way or another.  Either through a higher fare or a la carte.   Though I don't think I could ever drink that much soda.   

Slightly off topic but someone mentioned sandals above. I suppose I am the only one who just couldn't cruise with them just because if their name. 

And I cant help but think any freebie from them would involve a sandal miniature which you wear round your neck.

Imagine that. A miniature jesus sandal hanging from your neck.

I am sticking to celebrity.

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2019 at 9:57 PM, navybankerteacher said:

I choose my itinerary and then choose the ship that will offer me the best value--including intangibles.  Value isn't just a price tag, it's also passenger to crew ratios, passenger space ratios, stateroom comfort, visiting small ports that large ships can't go to, etc.

• Like 1

DW and I have worked our way up on Royal and it is certainly a factor in choosing Royal lines over others.  The free drinks and cabin discounts are good value.  If they no longer existed, it might make us more apt to try some of the competition.