Self Debarkation Time

Marylis

Hi All - Another question re our Oosterdam cruise in December, RT San Diego. We always do Self-Debarkation. We keep our luggage in our room the night before and then just walk off the ship. I'm looking at air home on the 14th and there is a flight at 9:30 am or a flight at 4:30 pm. Given how close the airport is to the cruiseport, I'd like to think we could make the 9:30 am flight, but most likely that is cutting it too close, and this is our first time on HAL. Does anyone know what time debarkation usually begins on these one week Mexico cruises?

Thanks!

Lis

I so agree about San Diego having a bad history about getting their passengers off the ship in a timely fashion no matter what you choose to do for disembarkation.

In 2016 one of the elevators in the terminal broke down.  There were loooooong lines with people waiting for the only other elevator.  We watched several people fall down the stairs with just carry on luggage.

I would not attempt a 9:30 flight.

Another time the ship didn't clear until after 10:30.

• Like 1

Self-disembarkation generally is set to start about 7:30, give or take 15 minutes, but it is never guaranteed that you will be getting off that early. For some reason there is frequently a delay in Immigration clearing the ship for people to start to leave. That could make a serious crimp in plans to make a 9:30 flight. 
Do you want to end a lovely cruise with that kind of stress??? 

While you might make it, the airport is near the cruise port. I would not attempt it because there are too many places things could go wrong.

1. Ship could arrive late

2. Problems with disembarkation

3. Problems with Customs/Immigration

4. Traffic between the port and airport

5. Backup at TSA

just not what I would want after a cruise.

A 0930 Flt., even at an airport as close to the port as San Diego's Lindbergh Field, is doable however, could lead to a sizeable doze of unneeded anxiety if Mr. Murphy makes an appearance. I would go for the 4:30 and have a nice lunch somewhere in downtown or Old Towne.

As far "troubles" at the Port of San Diego because an "elevator" broke down three years ago," that's a major exaggeration! San Diego's ground staff knows exactly what they are doing and it's a very easy port to disembark in. The only issue that can make an appearance is the "center infield" area where loading (pax and luggage) takes place. It can get crowded at times however, for self-disembarkation, that should be no problem

If I were you, I wouldn't book the early flight.  Have you considered touring San Diego?  Perhaps the ship has an excursion similar to the one we enjoyed in Seattle several years ago.  We got off the ship early, met the tour while HAL took care of our luggage.  We toured Seattle, even had lunch at the Space Needle for which I made reservations months earlier.  We resumed the tour after lunch.  When the tour was over, they took us to the airport where we retrieved our luggage from the area that HAL held it.  We had an early evening flight and had about an hour or so to spare at the gate.  We truly enjoyed that day.  Yes, there were earlier flights, but I'm so glad we didn't take any of them.  It was a relaxing, exciting end to a lovely Alaska cruise.

Self disembarkation in San Diego will normally begin at 8 am.

On rare occasions, by 7:55 if CBP is in place.

Your bigger worries would be at the airport.  Some airlines require checked luggage to be dropped off 45 min before departure.

TSA lines can be long at times especially in the morning.

Please look at West Coast Departures on CC, where I answered a similar question.....and describe when and why disembarkation can be very delayed.

David

On 9/4/2019 at 2:05 PM, Marylis said:

Hi All - Another question re our Oosterdam cruise in December, RT San Diego. We always do Self-Debarkation. We keep our luggage in our room the night before and then just walk off the ship. I'm looking at air home on the 14th and there is a flight at 9:30 am or a flight at 4:30 pm. Given how close the airport is to the cruiseport, I'd like to think we could make the 9:30 am flight, but most likely that is cutting it too close, and this is our first time on HAL. Does anyone know what time debarkation usually begins on these one week Mexico cruises?

Thanks!

Lis

Lis, this is my home and you will not make it for the 9:30 flight😞 I don’t care what other people say even if you get off at 8!!

Our Airport is hell!! We travel out of here all the time! This is my suggestion try to see if you can get off early my thinking it won’t 

happen do to all the red tape involved trying with immigration and stuff!! 

I think also with our TSA it gets soooo bogged down and believe it or not even with us in business class it still took long!! For some reason we do not have enough TSA agents!! 

Fingers crossed no problems with the ship

docking!! We were coming home from South America R/T San Diego AND WE WERE STUCK IN THE HARBOR NOT ABLE TO GO TO THE DOCK AT 7! Got in at 8:10 am and people missed flights! Anything can happen so I am hyper vigilant and I would book 4:30 See if HAL has a excursion that you can take or SEAPORT VILLAGE IS RIGHT TO THE LEFT PAST OUR MIDWAY COMING OUT OF THE DEBARKATION AREA AND HAS NICE RESTAURANTS AND ATTRACTIONS!

Can you book a flight around 11?

Hope all works out for you!

Enjoy your cruise!

WELCOME TO SAN DIEGO

Denise😊   

• Like 2

Thank you all so much! I opted for the 4:30 flight. There was a flight at 11:30 that wasn't direct, but y'all helped me realize I don't want any anxieties in case the unexpected happens. I think we will either check our luggage through from the ship if that service is available or find a place to store it and just walk around San Diego for awhile. Thanks also for the suggestions on what to do in San Diego.

Lis