Which Carnival ship(s) would you never sail again?

soremekun

Years ago I was on the Elation which was a tub.  luckily I had been on one other cruiseline and knew it had to be better.  Smoking was everywhere such that one could not get away from it.  The cabin was old, tired and in bad need of updating.  We were assigned a "table" in the MDR that reminded me of a drugstore booth complete with the plastic seat covers.   Luckily the table for 6 held the four of us comfortably.   I could not imagine 6 sitting in this booth.  I certainly hope this ship has been totally redone or sent to the boneyard.  

Skip forward several years and received a promo for the Magic.  It looked good so I decided to give it a try.  It was a much better experience and sailed again on it several years later to be followed by the Breeze and now Vista.  

Hands down it's the Liberty for me, I pray that she has gone into dry dock since October 2017. My cabin had broken fixtures, stains on curtains, electrical issues, plumbing issue, grunge falling from the vent above onto the bed. There were holes in the lido outside deck stairs that they had blocked off the entire time of the cruise, complete with banging noise as they worked on them. Not only did I experience this, but many others that stood in the long line at guest service sharing our stories. The customer service was so bad, I have never had this happen on any other Carnival ship, not ever!!! They knew our cabin was terrible and the service we were given, that they finally gave us a new cabin after midnight on sail day. It was a balcony cabin under a very noisy part of the ship. I was still grateful because it was much better than what we had before. This was a Halloween cruise for us, we still had a good time, but unless they fix the many issues, I would never sail the Liberty again.

Those are holes, not dirt.

image.jpg

Light fixtures

image.jpg

The crap that kept falling on the bed from the above vent.

ham101.jpg

I always shop cruises for the itinerary first and foremost.  I’m also a solo traveler.  Carnival is usually cheaper than other cruise lines and they have a lot of older ships, and I always know that going into it when I pick a cruise.  I sailed the Fascination in June 2019 and it is an old, old ship, I splurged for my niece and got a balcony on deck 5 and the vibrations in the morning as we got into port were very loud.  We still had a great time.  My niece loved it, she snorkeled at every island we visited.  The cruise was a gift for her college graduation. I’m sailing on anther fantasy class ship in 9 days - sensation. I liked the itinerary so, fantasy class it is.  I always say, a day on a cruise ship is better than any day at work.  If I had more money, I would cruise a different line, and I have with really good sales or no single supplement.  Happy sailing everyone!  

• Like 1

There is no Carnival ship that I wouldn’t sail again. However, I do have a least favorite and that is the Sunshine. We had a good cruise but I wasn’t overly impressed with the ship. 

Our absolute favorite ship is the Horizon. We absolutely loved the ship and the crew. 

I had a less  than ideal cruise on the Imagination, but it was not the fault of the crew.  It was a sort booze cruise out of miami to Nassau, and despite the prison yard demeanor of a few of the passengers - security was top notch and on it.

But my last cruise on the Conquest - the problem was the crew.  Not all of the crew of course, but there was a morale problem and I would not want to be on this ship again.  Hoping this was an isolated situation and not the general direction of the cruise line, because it was in 2017 and my first carnival cruise in several years.

• Like 2

My first 2 cruises were on the Fantasy Class. My third cruise was on the Legend (before she became the Sunshine).  I was a little overwhelmed - dopey me, I thought all ships were the same size. I love the size of the Conquest ships.  

With that said, I do not think I'll cruise the Fantasy Class again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoolOne56 said:

My first 2 cruises were on the Fantasy Class. My third cruise was on the Legend (before she became the Sunshine).  I was a little overwhelmed - dopey me, I thought all ships were the same size. I love the size of the Conquest ships.  

With that said, I do not think I'll cruise the Fantasy Class again.

Destiny became Sunshine, not Legend. 

What Conquest class ships have you been on?

6 hours ago, CanWeGoYet? said:

But my last cruise on the Conquest - the problem was the crew.  Not all of the crew of course, but there was a morale problem and I would not want to be on this ship again.  Hoping this was an isolated situation and not the general direction of the cruise line, because it was in 2017 and my first carnival cruise in several years

Due to the fact that crew at all levels on a ship are constantly changing, I would never judge a ship by the crew only. If you have a good or bad experience on a ship because of the crew, odds are really good if you sail on the same ship 6 months or more later that the crew will be significantly different. 

15 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Destiny became Sunshine, not Legend. 

What Conquest class ships have you been on?

You're right.  We were on the Destiny in 2009 and again 2012, then she became the Sunshine.

We were on the Conquest in 2017 - the first cruise after dry dock.

On 9/15/2019 at 4:18 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Due to the fact that crew at all levels on a ship are constantly changing, I would never judge a ship by the crew only. If you have a good or bad experience on a ship because of the crew, odds are really good if you sail on the same ship 6 months or more later that the crew will be significantly different. 

Good point, and I did consider this.   But this was not the case of a random employee here or there, it seemed across departments and a significant amount of poor attitude / burnt out staff.  I don't think it was a coincidental situation of bad attitude people in the employ, because these things don't exist in a vacuum.  It's bad management that affects morale, either working conditions being such that workers are at the end of their rope or no follow up / repercussions for poor service.   Unless  the management from the top down turned over I don't know if I'd want to chance a replay.  

I would sail on any ship in the Carnival Fleet.....

As long as it did not sail from New York.

Cruised on the Sunrise 9/4, was on my cruise bucket list to sail up & down the Hudson and had a blast, great cruise , great crew, The Sunrise does not deserve all the negatives it receives with the exception of all the arrogant & disrespectful New Yorkers & North Jersey cruisers when sailing from New York.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

I would sail on any ship in the Carnival Fleet.....

As long as it did not sail from New York.

Cruised on the Sunrise 9/4, was on my cruise bucket list to sail up & down the Hudson and had a blast, great cruise , great crew, The Sunrise does not deserve all the negatives it receives with the exception of all the arrogant & disrespectful New Yorkers & North Jersey cruisers when sailing from New York.

It is interesting that you went into your cruise with the same upbeat attitude as well.  Agree with all your comments.

44 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It is interesting that you went into your cruise with the same upbeat attitude as well.  Agree with all your comments.

I try and be honest as I can Jimbo. If I had issues  (other then the  one I mentioned a few times 🙂  now) I would say it, I try and call it like I see it. I don't go into anything with out an upbeat and positive outlook!

There are many people out there that have vacations planned on the Sunrise ( and after all the negative posting) I just wanted to let them know she is a fine ship with a great crew and they will enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Carnival Sunshine. I've sailed Sensation, Miracle, Conquest, Dream, and Pride (three times). Sunshine was just blah to me. Although I had fun with the group of people that I went with; I did not enjoy their lack of pools, lack of entertainment, and the food wasn't that good. I did not like it. 

On 9/5/2019 at 8:38 AM, TNcruising02 said:

I will not sail on the Vista again. The theater design is the worst I have seen on any of the ships I have sailed, including Carnival, Disney, Norwegian, and Royal.  I don't know what the heck they were thinking when they designed it.  I read bad reviews about the theater before I sailed on the Vista, but thought maybe it wouldn't be that bad.  It was.  Between that and the massively long lines for everything, I realized that I will stick with Carnival's smaller ships and that bigger isn't always better.  The design and décor were very muted and boring, but I could have overlooked that.  The theater, no way to overlook it.

Mat Mitchum was the CD, which made it one of the most enjoyable cruises.  Not enough to sail on the Vista again.

Ditto......exactly our sentiments.  Hands down, the Vista (and the balance of this class) is the worst design on the high seas.  Additionally, they packed lots more cabin on a ship roughly the same size a the  Conquest class, made the Atrium small with no window...it is the most congested, ugly ship around (We like Farkus better than this interior, and that doesn't say much).  Totally agree with your Matt Mitchum comment.....he singularly salvaged our worst cruise to date.....Matt is incredible, but we would NEVER sail the Vista again....even if Matt was the CD!!

• Like 1

No Fantasy class for us. While we enjoy all different kinds of ships (we sail  multiple lines) those just have no appeal. If we want a smaller ship there are lot of great options out there that are not going on 30 years old and look it. Sailed Fantasy a few years ago when she was still based out of Charleston and it was our least memorable cruise by a mile. Everything about it screamed "cheap".

• Like 2