Which Carnival ship(s) would you never sail again?

soremekun

I wish I could find my pics from the 1988 cruise on the Carnavale. The ship, I mean little boat was so small you could touch the ceilings. We had a room on U deck, right next to the only ice machine on board. The waiters came all night to get ice and speak loudly in foreign languages. Our room had 2 fold up beds that were latched with a hook latch. Bathroom was all in one, shower while on potty. Sink in room. Latch up beds to get dressed, it was comical. We made the best of it since it was our first cruise. I’ve since improved my situation with 26 cruises on Carnival. Never had a bad time. Somethings you just chalk up to life,

We are booked on Mardi Gras next October. Going bigger each trip!

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 10:12 PM, beachbum53 said:

The Vista. I didn't like the way the theater is designed. We had Anytime Dining, which is held in the Horizon Restaurant, in the Aft of the ship on Deck 3. Because the entrance to the MDR is on Deck 3, right off of the elevator lobby, there is very little room for people to line up to wait to be seated. Instead, you have to go to a little kiosk on Deck 5  and get a ticket with your check in time to be seated, then make your way down two decks to the MDR when it's time to go eat dinner. A major design flaw in my opinion. Also not real fond of the Atrium design. These, along with a few other minor things that I didn't like, are the reasons we won't be cruising again on the Vista. And, since the sister ship the Horizon  is built the same way, we won't be cruising on it either.

I would have to agree with above poster. In addition, I missed the thalassotherapy pool and the spa seemed so tiny. Not worth the extra money for a spa cabin. I would not sail on the Vista again unless I really, really, wanted to see a particular port that was on the itinerary.  

There isnt a Carnival ship I wouldn't sail again. But if I had to choose I would say the Fantasy. Only because it was the worst experience of all the ships I've been on. Anytime dinning was terrible with 1 hour plus wait. A pipe burst inside the bathroom walls. My carpet was soaked and the smell never left the room. Plus a passenger jumped over board and a different passenger had to be air lifted. It was alot of chaos on that cruise. But I wouldn't say I would never sail on it again.

Edited by Treyatl2006
  • Like 1

For those who hate the Vista class, I wonder if you would feel differently doing the Havana area.  All of my future Carnival cruises save one on one of the older ships out of Galveston are all booked in Havana rooms.  Even if you can't afford a Havana Cabana, the interior Havana rooms are quite reasonably priced.

I had the Havana area to myself so much of the time on my last cruise  (or the other people would be in the other jacuzzi or doing their own thing) I would actually get excited when other people showed up who I could talk to.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

For those who hate the Vista class, I wonder if you would feel differently doing the Havana area.  All of my future Carnival cruises save one on one of the older ships out of Galveston are all booked in Havana rooms.  Even if you can't afford a Havana Cabana, the interior Havana rooms are quite reasonably priced.

I had the Havana area to myself so much of the time on my last cruise  (or the other people would be in the other jacuzzi or doing their own thing) I would actually get excited when other people showed up who I could talk to.

Certainly one of the best things Carnival has done in a long time.  Wish they had HC and area on every Carnival ship.    

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 4:18 AM, ajm said:

Yeah... it was a nightmare both getting on and off the ship.  For the most part it was the port employees that were the problem and not Carnival.  Complete chaos.  We also didn't like the long drive from the airport to the port and no good places to stay close to the port with any kind of night life. 

Possibly it was just bad luck on our part and not enough research since it was a pretty last minute cruise but there's no way we would go back when other ports are much prettier with better access and things to do if  you go in a day or two before the cruise.

There is actually a ton to do in Galveston. It's a big tourist spot.  I have been all over the world and it's one of my favorite spots...at least just for a couple of days getaway.  There's the beach and pleasure pier... lots of great restaurants...The Strand and shopping... historic buildings and tours.  The historic theatre. Many special events. Rudy and Paco's is my probably my favorite high end seafood restaurant.  

If you stay in Houston, there's some of the best shopping out there (the Galleria) and the museum district which is second (I think) only to either DC or NYC.

My only knock on Galveston is it probably is more of an enjoyable place for families with kids or a more mature crowd.  Nightlife is probably less than desirable.

I would recommend flying into/out of Hobby instead of IAH.  It is closer and a smaller airport that is easier to get around in. IAH can be a nightmare. 

I will say my boarding experience in Galveston wasn't the best, but someone had a heart attack on the gang plank and they had to shut down boarding completely so I don't consider that Carnival's fault.

On debarkation, my husband and I carried off our luggage and it went much smoother, but if we had not done that it looked like a nightmare for everyone else.

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 1

I got off the Sunrise this morning.  I am currently sitting at the gate at LaGuardia.  I would probably never sail the Sunrise again.  I have lived long enough to know that it is best to never say never, but probably not.    This was my first Carnival cruise in almost 20 years.  The Sunrise felt old and dated to me (in spite of the $200 million facelift.).  It felt tight.  The crew is fabulous and we still had a good time.  But, given a choice, I would not sail her again.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, siestakeys04 said:

Valor the MDR food was not good every night. 

Really? The steak that I had was FABULOUS! The frog legs were good, and worth the hype (I waited 3 years!) I love the chocolate melting cake, and I will share a few images of my entire meal!

cdesert1.jpg

cflatironsteak.jpg

cfroglegs.jpg

Edited by jbethel11

1 minute ago, jbethel11 said:

Really? The steak that I had was FABULOUS! The frog legs were good, and worth the hype (I waited 3 years!) I love the chocolate melting cake, and I will share a few images of my entire meal!

IMG_1199.HEICUnavailable IMG_1200.HEICUnavailable IMG_1201.HEICUnavailable

Grasshopper, your links are not working, possibly permission issues?

While a day on any of the ships I've been on is better than a day at work, I would probably say the Sunshine.  After being on it twice, it is by far my least favorite ship.  They added cabins to bring in more money, while making the public areas smaller.  The comedy club is tiny and is designed horribly with people rudely walking through the family friendly shows on their way to the dining room. The main theater was also small.  It was packed out on the last two shows we went to there. The buffet was also terribly crowded.

On 9/21/2019 at 1:15 PM, Eli_6 said:

The Havana area doesn’t address the small theaters, the lack of a vaulted atrium, the lack of glass elevators, no thalassotherapy pool, etc.that are frequent complaints by people who aren’t fans of Vista class ship. 

As for the Havana area, I see the appeal for people who like to layout or have access to a pool and spas that rarely get crowded. For me, I live in Florida and have a pool and spa in my backyard, so the Havana area doesn’t appeal to me since I don’t spend too much time outside on the ship when I am cruising. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The Havana area doesn’t address the small theaters, the lack of a vaulted atrium, the lack of glass elevators, no thalassotherapy pool, etc.that are frequent complaints by people who aren’t fans of Vista class ship. 

As for the Havana area, I see the appeal for people who like to layout or have access to a pool and spas that rarely get crowded. For me, I live in Florida and have a pool and spa in my backyard, so the Havana area doesn’t appeal to me since I don’t spend too much time outside on the ship when I am cruising. 

Oh, I see.  I just saw the complaints about it being crowded and I was thinking of the pool but that makes sense about the theater. Thanks for the insight. 

I have a pool and spa at home, but still enjoyed the Havana area because I don't have a bartender at home. Or, I guess I do, but the problem is that the bartender is ME! 😂🤣 I end up being the bartender for myself and guests🍸🍹🍺 and the waiter for my kids.  

On 9/29/2019 at 9:49 PM, jbethel11 said:

cdesert1.jpg

cflatironsteak.jpg

cfroglegs.jpg

My husband and brother thought the same thing. I enjoy the MDR but that sailing wasn’t the best just my opinion.