Best Dining Room Dinners and Desserts?

lidolovers

17 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Rosemary Lamb Shank.

Agree, also love it. One reasons I enjoy taking 10, 11, 12+ nite Cruises is they bring out different Menu's(no repeats) then the regular 7 niter's. But still enjoy same favorite dishes served every Cruise...

2 hours ago, amflor said:

How do you order the off the menu Indian dishes. Do you just ask for something delicious, spicy, vegetarian???

Love to try new things

Ask your head waiter. They used to have one Indian selection each night in MDR, but I think that has been discontinued. We have asked a few times if they can provide something. One time it was great, other times it was rather poor quality so gave up on that. Usually something is available at the 'international section' of WJ daily at lunch, and they will usually have one Indian theme night during the week so check the planner for that. 

Edited by marci22

2 hours ago, amflor said:

How do you order the off the menu Indian dishes. Do you just ask for something delicious, spicy, vegetarian???

Love to try new things

Ask your waiter what Indian dishes are available.  Jewel actually has a separate Indian menu that changes every night.

3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

In the MDR. Works out well if we have a Indian waiter, assistant waiter or Head waiter.  I just ask if they can bring me something or anything through out the week,  usually get 3 or 4 things during the week. I think recently they have added a few dishes to the MDR menu on several ships. .

Thanks,

Going to try that next time.

18 hours ago, queenfrostine22 said:

I like the baked alaska.

I very rarely find it anywhere else.

I agree.  I just wish they wouldn't only serve baked Alaska on formal night.  

As for main course, I have really liked the duck and the beef tenderloin.  

They need to remove "Maryland" from the crab cakes.  They have never and probably will never put Old Bay on them.  👎

Edited by zepp914
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Queen of Oakville said:

FYI - at least on symphony - the apple pie no longer has raisins it!!!  

I think you are both speaking about the apple purses.  I had this years ago on Grandeur and had a terrible allergic reaction to the almond paste filling.  They don't advertise the nuts in the description of the dessert, but there was definitely almond paste in in (if we are speaking about the same dessert.

One of my favourite desserts was the key lime tart - it came with a meringue top that I scraped off, but the tart was delish.  A few days later they had a lemon meringue tart at Park Café which was also delish.  I was pleasantly surprised with the desserts on symphony.

I think they changed the recipe for the apple purse, because I love almond flavoring, and have a keen sense of taste and smell, and I had no taste or smell of almond in the pie.  Cinnamon, YES, but I think the almond is gone.

I love key lime pie, but I have found the quality is not consistent among RCCL's ships.

I found that HAL's key lime meringue pie was a truly die-and-go-to-heaven-come-back-for-another-piece of pie!!  Just amazing flavor.  We have a HAL cruise booked a year from now, and my mouth is watering just thinking of having that pie again.

Back in the day, the waiters danced around the dining room with Baked Alaska in flames.  They also lit up the cherries jubilee that they cooked tableside.  I’m guessing the insurance adjusters got to them and made them stop but it was quite a show. 

36 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

Back in the day, the waiters danced around the dining room with Baked Alaska in flames.  They also lit up the cherries jubilee that they cooked tableside.  I’m guessing the insurance adjusters got to them and made them stop but it was quite a show. 

Yep, open flame is a big no no on RC now.

19 hours ago, zepp914 said:

They need to remove "Maryland" from the crab cakes.  They have never and probably will never put Old Bay on them.  👎

Or much crab 😳

• Like 2

19 hours ago, zepp914 said:

Last cruise on Grandeur waiter asked if we were from Maryland, we said yes.  He recommended NOT to order the crab cake.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Appetizer (I know you didn't ask):  Escargots any and every night they have them.

Entrée : Rosemary Lamb shank, Prime rib

Desert: Most often a chocolate brownie sundae  off the kids menu,

And a bonus suggestion: Ask for savory bites night 1 and they should be there every night.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 3:18 PM, pcur said:

We actually LOOOOOOOOVED the apple pie dessert.  It's made elsewhere, probably frozen, and served in the main dining room.  Don't let the word "frozen" turn you off:  it's the most delicious apple pie dessert Mr. Pcur and I have ever had. Ever.

It's an small single serving apple pie "purse" dessert, but the crust isn't pulled completely shut.  So, the wonderful and cinnamon-y filling is there at the middle.  Crust is super flakey, and with vanilla ice cream, it's heaven!  Our head waiter on the Jewel said it was also her all time favorite.

My 22 yo son had it eight days in a row 🙂

my plan,  feedback welcomed

day 1 Dinner-Prime Rib  Dessert- Crème Brulee

Day 2 Dinner- Bolognese(break up the steak)  Dessert- warm Doughnuts

Day 3 Dinner- Tenderloin  Dessert- Souffle 

Day 4 Dinner - Ny strip  Dessert- Apple pie a la mode

No one has commented on the Ny strip or the Crème Brulee?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bradski said:

No one has commented on the Ny strip or the Crème Brulee?

The NY strip is small, but decent.  I recommend ordering 2 if you are hungry.   It is available on most nights, so a lot of people save it for a night where the other choices aren't to their liking.  

I have only ever had crème brulee on a cruise ship, so maybe it is edible elsewhere.  If you have never tried it, order it along with a slice of cheesecake or icecream in case you don't like it.  

9 hours ago, Jarmo said:

Last cruise on Grandeur waiter asked if we were from Maryland, we said yes.  He recommended NOT to order the crab cake.

Smart waiter!

Edited by zepp914

I’m not a fan of the creme brûlée.  It’s bland, in my opinion.

The Royal Chocolate Cake is decadent!  If you’re a chocoholic, this is it!  We once dined with a woman who ordered it every night on an 11 day cruise.  We’ll  usually order it once on every cruise to get our chocolate fix.

Edited by sellwingri

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:53 AM, Missusdubbya said:

Grand Marnier soufflé 

YEEESSSSS!!!

I loved this a few years ago on Enchantment, and haven't seen it in years, despite actively looking for it. Which ships have you been blessed with it? That's the precise reason I opened this thread- hoping to find out where this has been hiding....lol...

8 minutes ago, powelweb said:

YEEESSSSS!!!

I loved this a few years ago on Enchantment, and haven't seen it in years, despite actively looking for it. Which ships have you been blessed with it? That's the precise reason I opened this thread- hoping to find out where this has been hiding....lol...

Most recent sighting was Explorer in January 😁

On 9/5/2019 at 11:48 AM, brandy3415 said:

Lamb shanks, rack of lamb  (when on the menu--it was in Europe but not often on cruises in USS)  Spouse like duck.

He also likes the Grand Marnier souffle.

Remember when the Maitre d' on request would come and make crepes Suzette at the table?   Or cherried Jubilee?

Oh well.....

We just did Club Class on Princess. The head waiter did them three feet from our table. 

Extra entrées like jumbo prawns. It was like a step back in time.  

On 9/5/2019 at 4:36 PM, zepp914 said:

I don’t order them because I thought they used Ild Bay seasoning. I like to taste the crab. 

23 hours ago, starrcards said:

Appetizer (I know you didn't ask):  Escargots any and every night they have them.

Entrée : Rosemary Lamb shank, Prime rib

Desert: Most often a chocolate brownie sundae  off the kids menu,

And a bonus suggestion: Ask for savory bites night 1 and they should be there every night.

I asked why we didn’t get them any more and for the rest of our Serenade cruise they were waiting for me every night.