Best Dining Room Dinners and Desserts?

lidolovers

On 9/5/2019 at 8:06 AM, nalatrixie74 said:

windjammer, midnight chocolate buffet, though they do not do this anymore. my kids still let me know how upset they are with me i did not wake them to come to this. (didn't think there would be ppl that blabbed about it) 

I've seen posts and photos that the chocolate dessert buffet still happens in the WJ (most recently reported on Harmony and Symphony reviews I've seen here on CC)

On 9/7/2019 at 12:44 PM, CTSandy said:

Although I love creme brulee, I really don't like the Royal Caribbean version of it - almost has a banana pudding undertaste to it or something.  The Grand Marnier souffle was being served on Ovation last month when we did our Alaska cruise.

We actually really like the creme brulee and hubby gets it almost every night.

On 9/10/2019 at 5:43 PM, DaniDanielle said:

I had the pork tacos for an appetizer and for the main course!  They are so good.

What??? I"ve got to keep my eyes open for these next month when we are on Harmony!

On 10/19/2019 at 7:28 PM, John&LaLa said:

I'm another fan of the Asian pork tacos.

Poblanos corn soup is another hit

Lamb Chops of course

Banana split from the kiddie menu

My favorite app dissapeared,  smoke chicken with green apples. I also miss the banana rum soup.

FWIW, Michael Bayley hinted that on the 50th birthday cruise next month, some old menu items would be featured 

Ahhh yes, that Banana Split. I've ordered that a time or two myself!

20 hours ago, Beav1279 said:

Both my DH and I will forever remember a cold soup with watermelon (it was maybe called watermelon gazpacho?) that we had on night 1 in the MDR on our very first cruise together in 2012 on the Majesty of the Seas. We've never seen it served again but it was the most delicious soup we've ever had.. Has anyone else ever had it? 

YES, I remember that soup. We haven't seen it surface in quite some time either.

For me, I normally always start with the caesar salad. I know, simple and boring but I just love that salad.

I like the Prime Rib, Tiger Shrimp, Lobster, and Beef Tenderloin.

Desserts, my favorite would have to be the blueberry and peach cobbler.

• Like 1

At the top of my list would be the Risotto, I think normally a mushroom risotto they serve; creme brule and their caesar salad.  Last year I had the lasagna al forno and it explains it has a bechamel sauce. I thought it was delicious. 2 of my table mates didn't read the description, which I always encourage, and sent theirs back.  One refused to even try it. lol. The prime rib and ravioli are always good too.  

As stated previously, if you are from the MD area or even a coastal town used to great seafood, stay away from the crabcakes or lobster bisque type food.  You will be greatly disappointed.  Stick to straight lobster or shrimp cocktail. lol. 

22 minutes ago, TimeToGetNauti said:

Last year I had the lasagna al forno and it explains it has a bechamel sauce. I thought it was delicious. 2 of my table mates didn't read the description, which I always encourage, and sent theirs back.

They were expecting ricotta? Ricotta can be grainy and dry out. I think the bechamel version sounds amazing, and would love to try it (I grew up on the ricotta version). I'm surprised they sent it back without even trying it. Lasagna with bechamel is traditional Italian lasagna, the ricotta version is American lasagna. Would they have sent it back if they ordered it in Italy?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tomservo said:

They were expecting ricotta? Ricotta can be grainy and dry out. I think the bechamel version sounds amazing, and would love to try it (I grew up on the ricotta version). I'm surprised they sent it back without even trying it. Lasagna with bechamel is traditional Italian lasagna, the ricotta version is American lasagna. Would they have sent it back if they ordered it in Italy?

I prefer cottage cheese in place of ricotta. Probably because that's how my mom made it in the 70's

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

I prefer cottage cheese in place of ricotta. Probably because that's how my mom made it in the 70's

I've heard of it being made that way also.  Growing up my grandmother used ricotta.  But we put ricotta on everything.  Crackers and ricotta was a daily snack. lol 

• Like 2

On 9/6/2019 at 9:53 AM, sellwingri said:

Back in the day, the waiters danced around the dining room with Baked Alaska in flames.  They also lit up the cherries jubilee that they cooked tableside.  I’m guessing the insurance adjusters got to them and made them stop but it was quite a show. 

Strike 1 - Open Flame

Strike 2 - Labor intensive

Strike 3 - Needs space around the tables for the cart and procedure.

3 strikes, and it is GONE.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:03 PM, MrsKC08 said:

I've seen posts and photos that the chocolate dessert buffet still happens in the WJ (most recently reported on Harmony and Symphony reviews I've seen here 

Recently on Adventure they had a Chocolate Buffet Theme night in the WJ during dinner, which was a big selection of cakes and individual desserts, (not all of them chocolate), and you had to ask the servers for them. Left overs were served at lunch the next day