Cruise Critic Community
wwiems23

Question on the best way to book a cruise

I am looking at booking a cruise for next year (Oceanview room, 2 Free Perks, Reduced Airfare) and I'm currently looking into incentives through different TA's. 

I have 2 options that end up being  about the same price after you consider Gratuities, etc:

1) Discounted room, no OBC

2) Room the same price as NCL with OBC

Is it better to take the OBC in case the price of the room drops? If you book through a TA and see a lower price on NCL do you always have the option to get the reduced price or are you locked in?

We have taken a decent number of cruises but have never tried to get a lower price after booking and I want to make sure I can take advantage of any future deals.

If a TA is discounting a room, they are simply taking some of their commission and discounting the rate. I don't think it is a good practice, but some TAs do this.

If the cabin price goes down before final payment, and you ask for the lower price, the TA's commission goes down. Therefore whatever discount or OBC they provided will likely be reduced. I personally would go with the OBC.

Develop a relationship with your TA and ask questions, does he/she watch rates for his booked clients and make recommendations with lower prices are available?  A good TA will do this, even though it reduces his/her commissions its just good customer service if they want the repeat business.