SYD Early Arrival

Saildude16

We'll be arriving at 0700 on a Monday morning in January to spend 2 days  in Sydney prior to a cruise.  As this would be very early to expect to check- in  to a hotel for a reservation beginning Monday, I assume we should book beginning Sunday night  to assure there will be a room ready and waiting when we get there on Monday.

Since this will be summer season I wonder if that is in season or off season for hotels in SYD?

Any similar experiences or recommendations? 

If you book for Sunday night you will be charged for that night in addition to whatever other nights you are staying. Check in is usually not until 2 pm or later but most hotels will let you drop off your luggage and store if you want to go walk around or do something in town until check in time

1 hour ago, Saildude16 said:

We'll be arriving at 0700 on a Monday morning in January to spend 2 days  in Sydney prior to a cruise.  As this would be very early to expect to check- in  to a hotel for a reservation beginning Monday, I assume we should book beginning Sunday night  to assure there will be a room ready and waiting when we get there on Monday.

Since this will be summer season I wonder if that is in season or off season for hotels in SYD?

Any similar experiences or recommendations? 

First half of January is still holiday season so if it’s a business hotel it will be off season.

Probably closer to 9:00 when you get to your hotel.

More than likely your room could be ready early .

The larger hotels such as Marriott and Hilton will have a shower room so you can freshen up and will store your bags .

Have some brunch and a walk around ,your room should be ready.

email the hotel and ask.

Edited by Chiliburn

17 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

First half of January is still holiday season so if it’s a business hotel it will be off season.

Probably closer to 9:00 when you get to your hotel.

More than likely your room could be ready early .

The larger hotels such as Marriott and Hilton will have a shower room so you can freshen up and will store your bags .

Have some brunch and a walk around ,your room should be ready.

email the hotel and ask.

All true.....last time I just email the hotel, mentioning the early arrival and once we arrived around 10 am, room was ready!!

Thanks to all of you for the advice.

Plan to stay in/near CBD or Rocks.

Will arrive after 24 hours in route with last 17h 35m in business class.  So, we should get some rest.  However, we're in our 70's and don't bounce back like we used to.  Question becomes is it worth an "insurance policy" of ~USD 200(Sunday night booking) which would allow us the option of taking a nap upon arrival vs. being forced to wait until normal check in time.

Would certainly request early check in, but expect the reply to be "if available".

That's only a call you can make. They would not guarantee early arrival and personally, my experience has been they'll hold your bags but on arrival you'll be told rooms are not ready until 1-3 p.m. and you're on your own until then. Of course, you may be lucky  but the only way to guarantee it is to pay for the extra night. Or if you're fine to do your own thing and wait a few hours that will work too, but that's a personal call as to what you prefer.

On our last cruise departure from Sydney (January 2017) we decided to book our hotel for the prior night of arrival and were very happy we did. I contacted the hotel after making the reservation to let them know we would not be checking in until the next morning. Not a problem and we were in our room and relaxing before noon.

FYI, the hotel we used was Rydges World Square. We were very pleased with the location and price. If you join their membership club (free) they offer a discounted price on rooms. Our 3 night stay was excellent.

We've also stayed at the Marriott Circular Quay on a different trip Sydney, but after it's last renovation, rates have become stupid expensive. On that trip, we had to burn up time until our room was ready in the afternoon. We decided from then on, any early morning international arrival would include an extra night of hotel to ensure a room was available upon check in that morning.

On 9/6/2019 at 6:20 AM, Saildude16 said:

Thanks to all of you for the advice.

Plan to stay in/near CBD or Rocks.

Will arrive after 24 hours in route with last 17h 35m in business class.  So, we should get some rest.  However, we're in our 70's and don't bounce back like we used to.  Question becomes is it worth an "insurance policy" of ~USD 200(Sunday night booking) which would allow us the option of taking a nap upon arrival vs. being forced to wait until normal check in time.

Would certainly request early check in, but expect the reply to be "if available".

As a physician , even thou one is in there 70's, taking a nap is NOT the best choice. The better choice is to adjust your circadian rhythm by just getting out in the daylight and doing a mild stroll in the streets. People watch>

• Like 2

Just a suggestion.....I would drop your luggage at the hotel, go for a leisurely breakfast at one of the many cafes in the Rocks Area, which is right beside the Overseas Passenger Terminal (cruise ship docking).

I would then walk along the waterfront and catch one of the many ferries which leave from the same area.  My favourite is the ferry which goes to Manly, where you can again undertake a leisurely stroll along this beautiful beachside area,  enjoy a coffee and then return to the ferry which will take you back to the Overseas Passenger Terminal.  This should 'kill' a number of hours and hopefully you can check with your hotel whether your room is ready.     I never get tired of this little excursion whenever we go to Sydney to join our cruise.   Good luck and enjoy our beautiful Sydney Harbour.

I stayed at the Marriott near the OPT last March which had a room dedicated to early arrivers. I could have showered, rested on a chaise lounge, room had food set up (sort of a continental breakfast with a lot of fruit) ..... could've stayed until my room was available.  The normal check in was noon but my room was available at 10. 

Edited by Ombud

I arrived in Sydney last January after a long 17 hour non stop flight from Houston. (Also had to fly into Houston from Asheville). Prior I payed extra for early arrival at the Mercure by the Main Train Station (took the commuter train from the airport to the Train Station-just a short 2-3 block walk to the Hotel). The flight arrived around 7a, we were at the hotel by 9a. Checked right in and was able to get in a shower and 4-5 hours of shut-eye. By late afternoon we felt great-totally refreshed.

I don't recall the exact amount, maybe $25-30 extra, but worth it.   

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Rocks in March.

Arrived at the hotel by about 9am. Very helpful staff who stored our luggage and that of several others, until our room was ready at about noon. We were given access to the swimming pool area and toilet/ washroom facilities. We took a stroll in the fresh air and when we got the phonecall to say room was ready, returned to the hotel. 

There a quite a few different places offering all manner of foods close to the OPT.

Obviously you can book an hotel room for the night prior to your arrival but would be prudent to advise hotel of your plans so they don't rent out the room to someone else, thinking you are a 'no show'.

"..  be prudent to advise hotel of your plans so they don't rent out the room to someone else, thinking you are a 'no show'."

this is excellent advise. 

personally I am lucky to usually get a room, even as early as 8 or 9 am.

"status" with a hotel chain does help, of course.  But many front office staff have said that they usually let guests in early when the rooms are available. 

no skin of their backs, and guests are grateful. 

the exception being some airport hotels,  because they often rent rooms from any hour for 24 hours and don't have fixed check-in/-out times. 

2 hours ago, buchhalm said:

"..  be prudent to advise hotel of your plans so they don't rent out the room to someone else, thinking you are a 'no show'."

this is excellent advise. 

personally I am lucky to usually get a room, even as early as 8 or 9 am.

"status" with a hotel chain does help, of course.  But many front office staff have said that they usually let guests in early when the rooms are available. 

no skin of their backs, and guests are grateful. 

the exception being some airport hotels,  because they often rent rooms from any hour for 24 hours and don't have fixed check-in/-out times. 

Status is a key work. We are IHG members who booked room under points. Showed card and was upgraded from City view to Harbor view. They even rush to provide early check in by 10 am.