Hurricane Reaching Canada

arl_nocaps

1 hour ago, arl_nocaps said:

The Insignia Nyc to Montreal will be changing route and cancelled a port because hurricane will affect ship  on Saturday. Happy they are doing this and getting to safer waters.

arl_nocaps

Need to be safe. Good job Oceania.

2 hours ago, arl_nocaps said:

The Insignia Nyc to Montreal will be changing route and cancelled a port because hurricane will affect ship  on Saturday. Happy they are doing this and getting to safer waters.

arl_nocaps

Where will the ship be going now?

The reports I saw this evening were saying that Nova Scotia could be affected in a day or two, so that makes sense.

But I do remember a road trip a few years ago when the St.Lawrence appeared to be surging over the highway ...

Mura

Mura

Glad O decided to keep you guys a step ahead of the storm...safety first! I was just in Sydney and of all your ports, I think this one is the best to have to miss. I love Halifax...hope you're having a great day!! Also hope your 2 sea days will be as smooth as possible. Enjoy!😊

3 hours ago, arl_nocaps said:

In Halifax  now, the calm before the storm 

beautiful and warm

a little nerve wracking looking ahead to next few days 

Wonderful city. We loved it when we were there a few years ago.  Hope they all get thru  this O.K.   We got lucky in So. Florida and hope they do as well. 

I'm on the next cruise picking up the ship in Montreal. Been following developments closely and hoping everything clears up with no new storms before we peek out into the Atlantic to go down the coast ending in POM.

Nice to see that Oceania making the right move..

51 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

When they skip a port and replace it with a sea day, do they refund taxes and port charges?

Not in my experience either. I think this is why they don't publish cruisefares and taxes/fees separately...then they don't have to refund people for missed ports. I think this practice is pretty unethical...all the other cruiselines I've sailed on give you a refund...usually small, but it's the right thing to do. 

9 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Not in my experience either. I think this is why they don't publish cruisefares and taxes/fees separately...then they don't have to refund people for missed ports. I think this practice is pretty unethical...all the other cruiselines I've sailed on give you a refund...usually small, but it's the right thing to do. 

Been discussed on this board forever and O still does nothing.  Not right but they do not seem to care and we keep sailing with them.  Guess not a big enough deal to change. 

Doesn't surprise me that they are doing everything they can to avoid it, I've been on Insignia in rough weather just recently headed to Bermuda, and while it is an extremely nice ship it is a miserable sea boat. Like a cork bobbing. We had a cabin low and towards the front on 4 Deck and it was a miserable experience-- I don't usually get seasick and this was the worst I'd ever had it. Thankfully cleared up the next day. 

Hope they keep her clear of anything. 

Refunding port charges for missed ports should be automatic. I wonder if O would refund if asked. Most people are just unhappy missing ports. Last time on Marina, we missed 2 ports.  They were replaced with other ports. I never had a skipped port on O become a sea day.  I have experienced skipped ports on other lines. On Celebrity, we were supposed to stay 3 days in Bermuda.  We left a day early due to a supposed storm. That never happened. Got back $15 port charges. On Windstar in May, we sat out a bomb cyclone. Spent 2 extra days in Oporto waiting for the storm to pass. We skipped 2 ports.  We got OBC, port charges and taxes.  It was appreciated.  It was more than we expected.  

1 hour ago, Shawnino said:

Seabourn was in port here in Halifax as well today. They opted to leave early.

Warnings out for Halifax as well as Sydney and Corner Brook.  I would leave early too.   Can't control the weather 

Getting off original topic but re port fees - My understanding of the regulation is IF the port fees are listed as a separate item then the cruise line must refund them.  Doing it this way , while meaning the money leaves the business, they do get to offer the cruise at the cruise only price that appears to be cheaper.  IF the advertised price has the port fees included without a separate line to the customer then the fees do not have to be refunded - O likes to use this loophole to their advantage.