DORIAN TO MAKE DIRECT HIT ON HALIFAX

mamaofami

13 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Captain came on the PA system around 5 pm and asked us to secure things in our cabins so loose stuff doesn't fall around.  No one is to wear high heels.  The barf bags are out in the elevator lobbies.  (We even got two barf bags in our cabin tonight, with the bedtime chocolates!  Never had that happen before.). Seas seem to be fine (for now).  There is movement but it's not anything unusual. We are currently north of the Gaspe peninsula and almost west of Anticosti Island.  Captain still thinks we can go to Corner Brook on Monday but I'm sure that will be reevaluated if need be.

Hope everyone in Atlantic Canada stays safe and has minimal disruption. 

I know it's a serious situation, but the image of the "little white bags" next to the turndown chocolates made me laugh.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

So glad to hear you are OK Jacqui and thanks for the report on Halifax. Any news on PEI ? I read that many are without power there too and that they were worried about the storm surge still.

PEI - Charlottetown certainly had damage, downed trees, etc.  Not as bad a Halifax but certainly significant damage.

3/4 of the people on the island are without power.  

Environment Canada has a warning out that there is a risk for there to  be heavy waves and storm surges for the next few days - thanks to Dorian’s effects.

People are being asked to stay off the roads in all the areas due to the risks and to allow for clean up.

Thank you to everyone who has posted updates. We are due to embark on the Veendam from Montreal next Saturday. Calling at Sydney, Halifax and Charlottetown. Any updates from those CC’ers in the area before then would be appreciated.

18 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Thanks once again, Jacqui. We'be been discussing if we should cancel the cruise or just look at it as the ship is OK and even if we just spend the time onboard it will be a nice vacation. Still have some time to make a decision.

There’s a week until your cruise (heaven forbid we get another storm - that one was more than enough 😫 ) and a lot could be done in that time.

CBC should have updates over the next few days and their news can be googled on the internet without a subscription needed.  Same with CTV news.  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

No black Sharpie on that NOAA map posted - a good sign 😉  (sorry, I had to say that...)

Good to hear that all of our Atlantic Canada CC friends have fared well so far.  Dorian is definitely a storm with a major attitude.  My friend in Cocoa Beach, FL was spared also - only found a few leaks in a roof that can be fixed with some tar.   

If anyone wants to celebrate being spared damage from Dorian, please consider making a monetary donation to one of the good organizations trying to help out in The Bahamas.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Max2003 said:

Does anyone know if the Veendam was able to stop at Bar Harbor today??

We are currently aboard Adventure of the Seas. We are on our way to Portland tomorrow having spent Friday night anchored just out from Long Beach. We were due to be in Bar Harbor today (now) but the seas were too rough to allow safe access via tender.

I just asked at the guest services desk if we would be docking at Halifax on Wednesday and they said there has been no announcement from the captain that we would not be. A poster on another thread said that the Port of Halifax was closed until Thursday.

Anyone know for sure?

Halifax and Charlottetown were hit fairly hard - flooding and downed trees.   All schools in Nova Scotia are cancelled for Monday, Sep 9.  As of 7pm Sunday - there are 31, 088 customers without power in New Brunswick, 263,258 in Nova Scotia and 44,701 in Prince Edward Island.  So it seems that Nova Scotia has already restored power to 100,000 since this morning....  The military is going to be assisting with clean up in Halifax so most if not all streets should all be passable in the next few days.   That having been said, the NHC Hurricane center is now showing two yellow "X" spots, which could turn into something.....but they may fizzle.  

Special Alert from the Port of Halifax operations says "Container terminal operations at the Port of Halifax are expected to resume later this afternoon.  Marine pilots and tugs are looking at the same time frame.  HPA crews are inspecting cruise infrastructure and berths to ensure cruise operations can continue as early as Monday"...… looks like the Veendam and Caribbean Princess are due in to pier 20 and 22 respectively tomorrow.   So fingers crossed for all you hoping to arrive in Halifax.

Can't seem to find anything on Port of Charlottetown right now.

Edited by Shih-tzu
Clarified "port" of charlottetown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

My daughter said she saw Veendam in Bar Harbour yesterday (post 45).  Was it today she was supposed to be there?

We were in Bar Harbor on the Veendam on Friday (6th) then disembarked in Boston on Saturday.  The weather was pleasant and tendering was calm.  The Veendam was scheduled to be in BH today and (I believe ) Halifax tomorrow on the way up the coast. 

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I have a cousin in Halifax (well, he's older than me but actually the cousin was his mother).  I just heard from his sister that he came through things pretty well.

Roy

The blessing for many of us is that the warnings were early and after Hurricane Juan, everyone took it seriously and put away anything that could be picked up by wind (we had to move a fair amount of stuff 😉 ).  And everyone listened to the warnings to have enough food and water for 72 hours and stay indoors.  And, of course shelters were opened and a number allowed pets so families did not feel they had to stay.

So far, there are no fatalities reported and, hopefully, it remains that way.  Of course, some areas can’t be reached due to the fallen trees but it appears that most did listen, took the warnings seriously and prepared.  

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, kazu said:

The blessing for many of us is that the warnings were early and after Hurricane Juan, everyone took it seriously and put away anything that could be picked up by wind (we had to move a fair amount of stuff 😉 ).  And everyone listened to the warnings to have enough food and water for 72 hours and stay indoors.  And, of course shelters were opened and a number allowed pets so families did not feel they had to stay.

So far, there are no fatalities reported and, hopefully, it remains that way.  Of course, some areas can’t be reached due to the fallen trees but it appears that most did listen, took the warnings seriously and prepared.  

Truly a blessing Jacqui. So happy to hear this.