The Pitons viewing from ship

tourismtessy

Can anyone tell me if you can see the Pitons from the ship as you approach St Lucia?  I really want to see them and there is a shore excursion on a catamaran to get fairly close to them.  I am just wondering if we will be able to see them from the ship (Princess) as we approach St Lucia. 

7 hours ago, tourismtessy said:

Can anyone tell me if you can see the Pitons from the ship as you approach St Lucia?  I really want to see them and there is a shore excursion on a catamaran to get fairly close to them.  I am just wondering if we will be able to see them from the ship (Princess) as we approach St Lucia. 

Whether you'll be able to see them from the cruise ship itself entirely depends on your sailing route both on arrival and departure from St Lucia.

If you're arriving from Barbados, and then departing north, that would be a No on either side 

Of arriving from points north, ie Martinique or Dominica, and then heading to Barbados, that's a strong maybe on departure - as often the ship will sail down the west coast then through the straight between St Lucia and St Vincent on the way to Barbados. Sometimes though, it goes north through the Martinique passage instead.  And even if you do go down the west coast, you'll be far out to sea - the Pitons will be small on the horizon, and often clouded over with rain clouds or hazed over at late afternoon early evening. 

If heading south to areas like Grenada or ABCs, then you'll take the west coast route, but again - see above. 

You're best bet for seeing them is a small boat trip, up close and personal.  Don't count on being able to see much at all from the cruise ship itself.  

• Like 1

Thank you for this very informative response!  We are coming from Barbados so I guess we won't see them.  We are taking the shore excursion that is a catamaran ride to the Pitons then Marigot Bay and a beach for swimming.  I think it will be cool to view them from the water!

We have had stops in St. Lucia on two of our recent cruises on Carnival.  At the time we cruised, our stop in St. Lucia was the day following our stop in Barbados.  Carnival still visits the same islands but they now stop in St. Lucia before Barbados so I don't know which route to Barbados the ship takes.  Both times we sailed (May 2013; Sep. 2015), our ship went around the south side of St. Lucia from Barbados and up the west coast before docking in Castries at 8AM.  I got up early (between 5:30 & 6AM, sunrise seemed to be around 6AM but may vary different times of the year) and was able to see the Pitons both times, but at a distance.  But as reedprincess mentioned, that all depends on which route the ship you'll be on takes from Barbados into Castries.  I'll attach a couple pics in case your ship comes up from the south and sails up St. Lucia's west coast so you'll know what you can expect to see if you decide to get up that early.  So glad you're doing the catamaran tour, nothing like seeing them up close, their beauty is just stunning. 

The first picture is what you'll see (Pitons in center of pic) and the second picture is same view but I used my camera's zoom and zoomed in on the Pitons. 

100_0917-1.jpg

100_0918-1.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 3:37 PM, Getting out there said:

what tour would you take to see the Pitons? I get sick easily but REALLY want to see the Pitons. I understand there's a beach there, but you get mobbed by locals.

Almost any yotourur takes you south to the Pitons and volcano, they're the main feature of the island.

You absolutely do not get mobbed by locals at Jalousie Beach, whether those enjoying the beach or vendors. There's very very few vendors of any type who bother with that beach and almost no locals visit for the day due to the charges Sugar Beach puts on for those visiting by car. You'll have very little to no local interaction there beyond those who work at the hotel, etc. 

Cosol, Spencer Ambrose, Real St Lucia Experience, Joe Knows, James Tours, PHV Tours and Taxi, Joy's Ocean Adventure, and so on..

Edited by reedprincess

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 3:37 PM, Getting out there said:

what tour would you take to see the Pitons? I get sick easily but REALLY want to see the Pitons. I understand there's a beach there, but you get mobbed by locals.

Spencer Ambrose Jalousie Beach Break..........................done it twice never mobbed by locals.