Craft gin - probably only of interest to Brits.....

claranda

I'm on a two week cruise on Odyssey in October and looking forward to everything except their dire gin offerings. Is it worth asking for a bottle of a special gin for the cabin do you think, and if so, can anyone suggest a gutsy new gin that they'd be able to source relatively easily. We'd love a Yorkshire gin, but asking them to get a bottle of Hooting Owl or Rare Bird Rhubarb (mmmm...lovely) may be a bit difficult.

I agree Silent Pool is delicious, one of my current favourites, as are any of the following if you can find them - Monkey 47,  Tanqueray Rangpur,  Roku (made by Suntory), Hendricks, Bathtub and Copperhead.

Would guess the 47, Rangpur and Roku might be easiest to find in a port outside the UK. 

Shame the Seabourn selection is not as up to date as some other lines e.g. Crystal . I'll be on Soujourn this Xmas/New year and will hope to source something tasty en route if nothing decent is on board.

Best I check this point first - are you allowed to bring a bottle of spirits on board?

7 hours ago, claranda said:

I'm on a two week cruise on Odyssey in October and looking forward to everything except their dire gin offerings. Is it worth asking for a bottle of a special gin for the cabin do you think, and if so, can anyone suggest a gutsy new gin that they'd be able to source relatively easily. We'd love a Yorkshire gin, but asking them to get a bottle of Hooting Owl or Rare Bird Rhubarb (mmmm...lovely) may be a bit difficult.

We are from Yorkshire too - Beverley. Would love to see some craft gins on Seabourn.

4 hours ago, margbem said:

We are from Yorkshire too - Beverley. Would love to see some craft gins on Seabourn.

Have a good cruise ..We are from just down the road in Hull.  We sail on the Encore from Piraeus to Dubai  in October.. we will sing the praises of Yorkshire Gin and likewise the local Humber Street Distillery .. but just as with craft beer Seabourn is somewhat unadventurous...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Charlie57 said:

.. but just as with craft beer Seabourn is somewhat unadventurous...

Not always, on our “Route of the Vikings” from Dover to Montreal on Quest in Aug/Sept 2016 we had a lovely selection of beer.

The previous 16 day cruise had been around the British Isles and the Bar Manager had collected a variety of beer types from different ports.

I had a lovely time sampling them (I have a friend who is a Brewer and an international beer judge so have developed a keen interest)

One afternoon our suite doorbell rang and a waiter was standing there with a tray loaded with different beer bottles. 

He said they were running low on some types and I might like to have some on hand ! 😀 

2B7391E7-C4B3-4517-9D14-8CAF9A72B5E3.jpeg

5 hours ago, SKP946 said:

Not always, on our “Route of the Vikings” from Dover to Montreal on Quest in Aug/Sept 2016 we had a lovely selection of beer.

The previous 16 day cruise had been around the British Isles and the Bar Manager had collected a variety of beer types from different ports.

I had a lovely time sampling them (I have a friend who is a Brewer and an international beer judge so have developed a keen interest)

One afternoon our suite doorbell rang and a waiter was standing there with a tray loaded with different beer bottles. 

He said they were running low on some types and I might like to have some on hand ! 😀 

2B7391E7-C4B3-4517-9D14-8CAF9A72B5E3.jpeg

Hmmm John smiths.  That we’ll known craft beer.  Yes.  They are definitely very behind the times 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, claranda said:

Thanks all! I’m asking for Silent Pool (not so far known to me) and will let you know if I get it!

We are on the 4th to 18th October cruise, just before you so I will ask too and hope that we get some! 

Do you like Martin Miller's. That is my all time favourite and very widely available.

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Why not ask for the gin you would like and see what happens.  If you ask early enough I I think the ship will try to meet your request.  

I doubt it - every cruise we have asked for Pastis and it has never appeared in our fridge. Eventually our stewardess has managed to get it for us. I can try, though!

59 minutes ago, margbem said:

I doubt it - every cruise we have asked for Pastis and it has never appeared in our fridge. Eventually our stewardess has managed to get it for us. I can try, though!

If your stewardess has eventually been able to get it for you--that is good news  

Asking via the SB Club - even as Diamond members is a wasted effort.  Almost never get what we request, stewardess takes care of it, or back in the day when Darius was there we always got what we wanted and more, he was usually waiting when I boarded with a surprise, not to mention all the laughs we shared and there were many going back to when I recognized him from being on my first cruise on the Legend and he had a classic line that still makes me laugh when I recall it..  SO miss him... 

But back to the point, if your stewardess can not get it, and it might take a day or two depending on how provisions were loaded, speak with the bar manager - they have gone off the ship in remote ports to procure things for me.

On our recent trip to Scotland, we were amazed at the number of varieties of gin as well as tonics. I had a wonderful gin and tonic with Boe passion fruit gin and Cushiedoos tonic and pomegranate seeds in a large balloon goblet....OUT of this WORLD! Doubt Seabourn would stock this combo but if ever Scotland, you might want to give it a try.

Edited by vaitape

10 hours ago, vaitape said:

On our recent trip to Scotland, we were amazed at the number of varieties of gin as well as tonics. I had a wonderful gin and tonic with Boe passion fruit gin and Cushiedoos tonic and pomegranate seeds in a large balloon goblet....OUT of this WORLD! Doubt Seabourn would stock this combo but if ever Scotland, you might want to give it a try.

Sounds wonderful! 

10 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Asking via the SB Club - even as Diamond members is a wasted effort.  Almost never get what we request, stewardess takes care of it, or back in the day when Darius was there we always got what we wanted and more, he was usually waiting when I boarded with a surprise, not to mention all the laughs we shared and there were many going back to when I recognized him from being on my first cruise on the Legend and he had a classic line that still makes me laugh when I recall it..  SO miss him... 

But back to the point, if your stewardess can not get it, and it might take a day or two depending on how provisions were loaded, speak with the bar manager - they have gone off the ship in remote ports to procure things for me.

I think the problem is that Seabourn do not have any other gins on their ships, not that you can't get one for your suite. I would love a different G&T in one of the bars, but nothing doing! And one of the worst ones I ever had was on our first night last year on the Odyssey in the Observation Lounge. We were about the last people in there before we went for dinner, the barman was ready to shut down and go to serve in the restaurant and I got a feeble gin with flat tonic. Not a good start! Things did get better, though. Although the tonic they serve is dire!

I have found the availability of Fever Tree can also be affected by the location of the cruise.  Maybe because it is made in the UK, it has been unavailable on our Canada and Caribbean cruises, while I have been able to get it on European cruises.  However, I have had less luck with getting Fever Tree Light, which has only been available sporadically.