Gratuities on Drink Package

wongcruise

I read somewhere that Celebrity will start charging gratuities on a drink package received as a perk for bookings after Sept 1.  Does everyone have any information on this?  We just came back from an Equinox sailing and gratuities were not charged for our drink package perk.

Unfortunately since it is in print, people will believe it is true. But as of now it is only a rumor, and a false one.

Whether you purchase the drink package or receive it as a perk with your booking tThe gratuities are included And no further tippers added if you order a drink that is within the price point of your package

Edited by cruisestitch

Just had an invoice for a booking on the Silhouette with a classic drinks package.  The invoice shows an On Board Service Charge 260.58 and a YQF4 Prepaid Gratuities deduction of 241.66.  Why the lower deduction? Is this difference a gratuities charge?

3 hours ago, Januarysent said:

Just had an invoice for a booking on the Silhouette with a classic drinks package.  The invoice shows an On Board Service Charge 260.58 and a YQF4 Prepaid Gratuities deduction of 241.66.  Why the lower deduction? Is this difference a gratuities charge?

I would call and ask.  Please report back..this may have something to do with the rumored change.

Just heard from Celebrity re the discrepancy on the invoice.  They say:

I can confirm that you will receive £130.29pp free gratuities with your cruise.

As the cruise is over a years in advance our system has not been updated with the minus about of £130.29pp which need to be applied to this booking to balance out the cost of the gratuities.

The nearest we have is £120.83pp which we have applied to the booking, and this will be updated & change to the correct amount once that amount is loaded onto the system, we have been advise that this could be in early 2020

So no gratuity charge.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:20 AM, wongcruise said:

Thank you for the clarification.  So glad it was only a rumor:classic_biggrin:

I just booked a cruise today.   Beverage package was a perk.  TA. Said I d be paying gratuities on every drink.   Cruising on infinity February’ 2021

2 hours ago, Eva 51 said:

I just booked a cruise today.   Beverage package was a perk.  TA. Said I d be paying gratuities on every drink.   Cruising on infinity February’ 2021

TA lied, or is at least ill-informed. There is a possibility that you may be charged sales tax (VAT in Spain or other European countries), but you will NOT be charged gratuities on every drink!

Guindalf, You are only charged VAT If you purchase a drink on those itineraries not if you use your beverage package.

Eva 51, On other cruise lines you do pay gratuities on beverages with in the packages. TA is probably confused about which cruise line you are on and what their policies are.

• Like 1

Not a rumour anymore. Breaking news from Celebrity agent webminar - Effective October 10, 2019, any booking with the beverage as a perk, the total cruise fare will increase by $14 per day. Stay tuned for the public announcement.

11 minutes ago, Solution said:

Not a rumour anymore. Breaking news from Celebrity agent webminar - Effective October 10, 2019, any booking with the beverage as a perk, the total cruise fare will increase by $14 per day. Stay tuned for the public announcement.

Any booking or any NEW booking? Also, it that $14 per cabin per day or per BP holder per day? I'm thinking of one adult with BP sharing a cabin with a minor child versus two adults with BP. In the parent/child scenario, would it only be $7.00?

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Any booking or any NEW booking? Also, it that $14 per cabin per day or per BP holder per day? I'm thinking of one adult with BP sharing a cabin with a minor child versus two adults with BP. In the parent/child scenario, would it only be $7.00?

It will be any new booking (or re-fare) on or after Oct 10, 2019. Increased cruise fare (instead of gratuity) is per package per day. Note I am in Canada, I assume the $14 is CAD. For US and other countries, the increase may be different. Details has yet to be released publicly.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Solution said:

It will be any new booking (or re-fare) on or after Oct 10, 2019. Increased cruise fare (instead of gratuity) is per package per day. Note I am in Canada, I assume the $14 is CAD. For US and other countries, the increase may be different. Details has yet to be released publicly.

Better $14 CAD than $14 USD, I suppose. Between cuts in service and cash grabs like this, our future with Celebrity is increasingly in question. We have two booked now, one too late to cancel, but I'm seriously reconsidering the second one.

17 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Better $14 CAD than $14 USD, I suppose. Between cuts in service and cash grabs like this, our future with Celebrity is increasingly in question. We have two booked now, one too late to cancel, but I'm seriously reconsidering the second one.

I agree. I have two booked, but will consider moving to luxury where you get more inclusive items.

So if you choose a drink package as a perk your cruise fare will be more than if you choose other perks?  Gets more complicated all the time.

I've been booking suites and I find that most times I'm unable to book without bundled perks.  I don't want a beverage package I and I don't really appreciate having to pay for one, let alone an increase like this.  Yes sometimes I'm able to book senior or resident discounts which don't include perks but those are generally not available until close to sail date when they are trying to get rid of remaining cabins.