Roatan Port Expansion

LeesaB

https://roatantourismbureau.com/roatan-news/port-of-roatan-expansion

Looks pretty impressive; interested in others' thoughts.

On a similar note, it looks like in early 2020 they're going to start having 4 ships (or more) regularly call to the island.  The estimated passenger load on the day that we'll be there in March is something like 12,000.  Is the island ready for THAT many cruise ship visitors on the regular?  Based on photos I've seen (as of 6 weeks ago or so anyway), it looks like they still have a long way to go to get the additional port area developed.

22 minutes ago, LeesaB said:

https://roatantourismbureau.com/roatan-news/port-of-roatan-expansion

Looks pretty impressive; interested in others' thoughts.

On a similar note, it looks like in early 2020 they're going to start having 4 ships (or more) regularly call to the island.  The estimated passenger load on the day that we'll be there in March is something like 12,000.  Is the island ready for THAT many cruise ship visitors on the regular?  Based on photos I've seen (as of 6 weeks ago or so anyway), it looks like they still have a long way to go to get the additional port area developed.

4 ships on Roatan or 4 ships at Coxen Hole?

12 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

4 ships on Roatan or 4 ships at Coxen Hole?

Pretty sure all the cruise ship port timetable websites use both ports for Roatan.  They always show Carnival and RCL/NCL/ect. anyway.

Though the website claims that Coxen Hole can support 3 cruise ships even now, which I find disconcerting (one at the dock and two tendered).

3 hours ago, LeesaB said:

Pretty sure all the cruise ship port timetable websites use both ports for Roatan.  They always show Carnival and RCL/NCL/ect. anyway.

Though the website claims that Coxen Hole can support 3 cruise ships even now, which I find disconcerting (one at the dock and two tendered).

Sounds correct.

I understand two can dock at Mahogany Bay wind permitting ( never been so can’t verify) but  I have certainly seen one RCL docked at Coxen Hole with at least one NCL tendering.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to Mahogany Bay twice with two ships there - one was Costa.  As for another pier at Coxen Hole?  I think it's going to be awhile.  This was earlier this month:

enhance

enhance

Will find out how it goes in Nov. when we will be there with two other ships...  EM

Mahogany Bay with Costa Deliziosa:

enhance

enhance

Edited by Essiesmom

based n the video and the text, I think they are only talking about the Port of Roatan, which is technically, Coxen Hole.  Appear they will be able to have 2 ships docked and 2 ships anchored, versus 1 docked and 2 anchored.

MBCC has always had the capability to dock 2 ships.  So in high season you might expect 6 ships in Roatan at the same time.  If even 2 of these are mega ships, you'll have crowds all over.  The planning of attractions at Coxen Hole will help relieve some of that, just like the beach at MBCC.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know when the new dock is supposed to be finished?  We are currently booked on a cruise in March out of San Juan but the flights are so crazy expensive I am looking for an alternative. While I know that tendering is possible at lots of ports, I am trying to avoid it as much as possible. We had to tender in Coxen Hole once and it took forever and made everyone cranky.  That time was on the Pearl. This would be the Getaway which has a lot more passengers.  The cruise I am looking at will be in Coxen Hole with Liberty of the Seas and MSC Armonia according to cruisett. From what I have read the Liberty of the Seas would dock and we would tender?  If the dock is complete will the MSC ship tender?

Your guess is as good as any on completion.  They say  early 2020, but no specific date given.  Based on the pictures from a month ago, I  say 50/50 by Feb. When we're there.

I believe current docking goes goes largest ship, or earliest arrival.

• 3 months later...
On 10/13/2019 at 12:20 PM, Fischmom said:

Does anyone know when the new dock is supposed to be finished?  We are currently booked on a cruise in March out of San Juan but the flights are so crazy expensive I am looking for an alternative. While I know that tendering is possible at lots of ports, I am trying to avoid it as much as possible. We had to tender in Coxen Hole once and it took forever and made everyone cranky.  That time was on the Pearl. This would be the Getaway which has a lot more passengers.  The cruise I am looking at will be in Coxen Hole with Liberty of the Seas and MSC Armonia according to cruisett. From what I have read the Liberty of the Seas would dock and we would tender?  If the dock is complete will the MSC ship tender?

Wondering if this expansion is completed yet.  Anyone have any insight?

Cheers

Steve & Vicky