Is this the most capable pocketable camera ever made ?

With a $1200 price tag it better be ! 

Posted July 17, 2014

An article in The New York Times declared the Sony RX-100 to be ' the best pocket camera ever made' . So is it true or just typical media hype designed to sell cameras ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/technology/personaltech/a-pocket-camera-even-pro-photographers-can-love-state-of-the-art.html?_r=0

Internet searches for 'the best pocket camera ever made' revealed another article. This article had pictures to back up its claim. The pictures were taken at a concert of ' the world's greatest rock and roll band ' , The Rolling Stones . In other words , this was a marriage made in hype heaven.

http://petapixel.com/2014/01/06/shooting-rolling-stones-best-pocket-camera-ever-made/

Well the still photos taken at face value are very impressive . The pictures were taken with a Sony RX - 100 II , so I guess that the moniker ' best pocket camera ever made' was about as enduring as one of Mick Jagger's marriages. Well that was then and I wanted a better pocket camera now ! . In a glowing review in DPreview , the NEW Sony RX -1000 III was awarded a 82% rating and a Gold award.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100

Based on the reviews I bought a Sony Rx - 100 iii in 2014 and have happily used it since .  A new more recent review and conclusion caught my eye after we shuttered the house with Dorian on our doorstep .

The RX100 VII is the most capable pocketable camera ever made

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-pocketable-enthusiast-cameras/2

After looking at some other reviews we decided to bite the bullet and order one through a large internet store with a smile .  We placed the order on Sunday but it didn't leave New Jersey until Wednesday . It arrived in a Miami suburb this morning but we are being told that it may arrive on Monday . In the meantime , we have received  5 different orders from the same company that were placed on or after the camera order . Hopefully the little one will be delivered Monday and our review will begin - with photos .

18 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Pricey for sure but it has some great features.  I do however think it would come up short if photographing wildlife or action sports.  Just my opinion of course.

I don't think any camera is a do all, be all, end all.

Some reviewers claim that 20 -90 frames per second and a 200 mm makes it useful for sports and wildlife . I like this tutorial 

I agree that there is do all , be all and I'm not getting rid of my DSLF or lenses , just adding another tool to my camera bag (or pocket ) .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Capability only matters if that is something you will use, if you are happy with what your current phone/camera does then all the capability really matters little and is money wasted, don't buy the hype, understand what you need, not what media convinces you you want/need, LOL

Every company wants you to buy something that is better/faster or whatever to part with you from your hard earned money!

Edited by chipmaster

Good luck with your new camera. I'm sure that it will be great to use. I was considering the RX100 VII for my wife to use. This would be added to my Sony A6500, A6000, and our HX90V. But one reviewer commented that he had dropped the RX100 VII three times the morning that he was out shooting the review!

I bought my wife a Sony A6400 with the 18-135mm kit lens instead. That way she has a very usable lens but can change to the other E-mount lenses as needed. The HX90V takes amazing photos with its 24-720mm when I really need the reach. I keep a Peak Design "Cuff"  on it to prevent dropping it.

13 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Good luck with your new camera. I'm sure that it will be great to use. I was considering the RX100 VII for my wife to use. This would be added to my Sony A6500, A6000, and our HX90V. But one reviewer commented that he had dropped the RX100 VII three times the morning that he was out shooting the review!

I bought my wife a Sony A6400 with the 18-135mm kit lens instead. That way she has a very usable lens but can change to the other E-mount lenses as needed. The HX90V takes amazing photos with its 24-720mm when I really need the reach. I keep a Peak Design "Cuff"  on it to prevent dropping it.

Thank you . I did see that review and use a lanyard and attached a rubber grip to the right side . I'm not sure yet but it seems like the camera is going through batteries really quick - even when it's off !

My wife also has the HX90V and put it to good use in Antarctica . I ordered the Peak Design "Cuff" for the new camera . I have used the Black Rapid strap for years on my DSLRs and added a uni loop as a backup . Overkill ? Maybe but I've no drops - yet .

DSC00020%202_zpscmclhixx.jpg

7 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

I'm not sure yet but it seems like the camera is going through batteries really quick - even when it's off !

My wife also has the HX90V and put it to good use in Antarctica . I ordered the Peak Design "Cuff" for the new camera . 

Yes, it probably is draining the battery just sitting.  My A6XXXs go through batteries pretty quick, even without using them. It seems to have something in the electronics that keeps it "alive" even while off. I actually have five batteries for two cameras! I may add an additional one or two with my wife's new A6400 before our next cruise. The new Sony A6600 is actually designed (finally!) with a larger battery. Our HX90V doesn't have the battery drain problem. 

I have the older style "Cuff" which is secure but seems to be awkward to get off. 

14 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Yes, it probably is draining the battery just sitting.  My A6XXXs go through batteries pretty quick, even without using them. It seems to have something in the electronics that keeps it "alive" even while off. I actually have five batteries for two cameras! I may add an additional one or two with my wife's new A6400 before our next cruise. The new Sony A6600 is actually designed (finally!) with a larger battery. Our HX90V doesn't have the battery drain problem. 

I have the older style "Cuff" which is secure but seems to be awkward to get off. 

We do have about 5 older batteries that we share with one of them being 5 years old . I recharged the battery that drained fast and will see what kind of life it will have . It may have to be removed from rotation  We did get 3 new batteries with the camera and I'm not sure if I should charge them or wait until we go on our next photo shoot in April . I saw reviews about the cuff where some people were saying that they

preferred the older model but I'm just using it for the pocket cam so it looks to be great . I did add a mini microphone to the camera .  https://www.saramonicusa.com/products/sr-xm1

7 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We do have about 5 older batteries that we share with one of them being 5 years old . I recharged the battery that drained fast and will see what kind of life it will have . It may have to be removed from rotation  We did get 3 new batteries with the camera and I'm not sure if I should charge them or wait until we go on our next photo shoot in April . I saw reviews about the cuff where some people were saying that they

preferred the older model but I'm just using it for the pocket cam so it looks to be great . I did add a mini microphone to the camera .  https://www.saramonicusa.com/products/sr-xm1

I just spotted this while looking for accessories to fit the A6400.

https://www.ulanzi.com/products/r017-sony-rx100-vii-microphone-handle-grip-l-type-bracket-uurig

14 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

I just spotted this while looking for accessories to fit the A6400.

https://www.ulanzi.com/products/r017-sony-rx100-vii-microphone-handle-grip-l-type-bracket-uurig

Thanks for the link . I haven't practiced with the little mic yet to see what results we can get . We have a concert coming up in a couple on months and we do want to get the best results . It's Al Stewart and here's a video from his last appearance when we last saw him here .

A question to the videographers . 4 K or 1080 ? We don't have 4 k and I've read the the camera can overheat quickly when recording it . We hoped to use it for concert recording and when we were using the 1080 on my camcorder it shut down a couple of times during the longer songs . So is 4 k the future or the next Betamax ?

It may be the next Betamax in that VCR (1080) won out in the consumer market but Betamax(4k) dominated commercial production recording for a couple of decades after VHS's "victory".

What will be the probable main target viewing audience? Unless you have a large following or family equipped with 4K displays, 1080 is going to produce wonderful results and won't break the bandwidth of those who will stream to tablets or phones.

IMHO, of course. 🙂

Dave

9 minutes ago, pierces said:

It may be the next Betamax in that VCR (1080) won out in the consumer market but Betamax(4k) dominated commercial production recording for a couple of decades after VHS's "victory".

What will be the probable main target viewing audience? Unless you have a large following or family equipped with 4K displays, 1080 is going to produce wonderful results and won't break the bandwidth of those who will stream to tablets or phones.

IMHO, of course. 🙂

Dave

Thanks Dave I appreciate the input .

On 9/18/2019 at 4:03 PM, pierces said:

IMHO, of course. 🙂

Dave

We also found out that the intelligent active stabilization works with the 1080 but not the 4 k so that's the way we're going .

• 2 weeks later...