Checking Alcohol on the Ship?

rcprncss

Weird question.  We will be in Texas two days prior to getting on the ship.  Husband wants to buy bourbon that we can not get at home.  Has anyone had any experience checking in the liquor when you board and getting it back the night before you leave?  We can not go liquor shopping when we get off on Sunday because we won't have time and you can't buy liquor on Sundays.  Thanks in advance.

I have only taken on board the allowed two bottles of wine. I would think that if you voluntarily give it to them, they would hold it. Texas is a little different when it comes to taxes on liquor, they usually have a tax collection station as you disembark so make sure you have the "I paid taxes" on your bottle or you may end up paying taxes again. Or maybe keep your purchase receipt handy.

• Like 1

If you bring alcohol that you purchased before boarding the ship with you, put it in your carry on luggage. When you go through security they will bring you to the alcohol check point where they will tag your purchases and give you a receipt to collect it when you leave the ship on the last day of the cruise or they will deliver it to your room on the last day. The same will apply to any alcohol you buy in port. It's a regular occurrence that Royal is used to handling. 

Edited by Cayman Turtle

We call St. Maarten our "rum stock up" port.   Have many times bought choices we can't find at home, and simple to have it tagged and held for you until the last night.  There are many shops there that will send your purchases direct to the ship, without having to lug it around until we get back.  

23 hours ago, rcprncss said:

Weird question.  We will be in Texas two days prior to getting on the ship.  Husband wants to buy bourbon that we can not get at home.  Has anyone had any experience checking in the liquor when you board and getting it back the night before you leave?  We can not go liquor shopping when we get off on Sunday because we won't have time and you can't buy liquor on Sundays.  Thanks in advance.

i would contact them by email , hard liquor would be seized in Q&A 🙄

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-alcohol-guest-policy

Thanks everyone.  We have been on many cruises and bought liquor in ports several times and checked it but never in the departing port.  I don't want them to think we are trying to sneak in liquor.  LOL!  Thanks everyone.  We will bring our liquor with us when we board and ask when we check in we will tell them we have liquor.  We will keep our receipts too!  

On 9/7/2019 at 12:54 AM, gerif said:

Any chance that the liquor store would package and ship it home for you?

If the liquor store won't do it for you, perhaps you could go to a shipping store- like a FedEx Store or UPS store and ship the stuff home before you leave.  I don't know if there are laws that would prevent you from just shipping it home before you leave.  Maybe someplace that would offer a short term storage solution for you to keep it somewhere and pick it up when you return from the ship and before you board your next transportation home?  Assuming you are not driving to port.  Anyhow, best of luck on getting this issue resolved to your satisfaction.  

1 hour ago, rcprncss said:

Unsure what is on his list.  Do you have recommendations?

I'm not sure what Bourbon's California can not get or Galveston. But here are my favorites

1)Weller 12

2) Four Roses Single Barrel

3) Colonel E.H. Taylor Bottled In Bond

4) Blanton's

5)Eagle Rare

6) Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

And the holy grail Pappy Van Winkle but it is nearly impossible to find and if you do could be priced over $1,000.

Happy hunting!

Yes!  Weller 12 is not sitting on shelfs in California for a reasonable price.  We are hoping for some Weller 12.  🙂  

Did you happen to find it at Specs?  Or if not Specs, can you share the liquor store?  We will be in downtown Houston for two days before we go to Galveston.  Thank you!

23 hours ago, SRF said:

My boss and I were in TX for work.  He was HAPPY, when he found Weller 12 on the shelf.  I think he bought something like 6 bottles.  I grabbed one also.

Do you remember the store?  The price?  Thanks.

On 9/8/2019 at 10:46 AM, Sea Dog said:

And the holy grail Pappy Van Winkle but it is nearly impossible to find and if you do could be priced over $1,000.

The best bourbon I have ever had. Luckily I know a guy who works for ABC and was able to get a bottle for the actual MSRP of $50.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Drock20J said:

The best bourbon I have ever had. Luckily I know a guy who works for ABC and was able to get a bottle for the actual MSRP of $50.

Wow, I’m so jealous. The best I can do here is get my name in a drawing to be selected to buy a bottle. Over 1,000 people put in for those drawings to buy 1-3 bottles so the odds are bad. I have to settle on drinking my Weller Special Reserve, or poor man’s Pappy.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Wow, I’m so jealous. The best I can do here is get my name in a drawing to be selected to buy a bottle. Over 1,000 people put in for those drawings to buy 1-3 bottles so the odds are bad. I have to settle on drinking my Weller Special Reserve, or poor man’s Pappy.

We have "poor man's Pappy" too!  🙂 

• Like 1

We bought Blue Curacao in Curacao for Xmas presents last year and was booked on a side to side cruise on a RCI sister line in Ft. Lauderdale. Had it in a separate bag and brought it over to be officially checked in and tagged... Took a picture of the open bag... we had a couple of gift sized bottles ... and a picture of the person checking it in... it arrived in our stateroom the last night no problems.  The only issue was that when security “found it” they got excited even though I tried to tell them that I had liquor bottles and knew that I had to check it... just know the rules and you will be fine even if the security people think you are trying to bring it onboard to drink!!!