MedallionNet 1 device connection

knotheadken

If we purchase the "1 device connection" can I connect my travel router to it then connect multiple devices to it?

Chrome book and two Iphones?

The travel router is designed so you can do this in hotels that only allow one device.

Edited by knotheadken

Thanks, I hope it works and I have two USB battery packs that I can use to power it. We'll put in a purse or bag and take it with us on the ship. That way we can sit anywhere on ship. I will hide the network name so everyone is not trying to hook into it!

A travel router with "NAT" (network address translation) will almost certainly work, and even be undetectable by the ship's networking equipment.

But then there is that little issue that you specifically bought access for just one device at a time and...   😞

11 hours ago, knotheadken said:

If we purchase the "1 device connection" can I connect my travel router to it then connect multiple devices to it?

Chrome book and two Iphones?

The travel router is designed so you can do this in hotels that only allow one device.

Is there any reason you would not pay for more than one device if you plan to use more than one?  Seems like a scam on Princess ..  and on everyone else who pays for what they intend to use.

Edited by pms4104
  • Like 1

So if I purchase the "up to four devices" for the extra $70 on our 14 day cruise as me, will I be able to connect my phone and my wife's phone at the same time? If I add her and me then the price doubles. One would assume we both would be able to login and use it at the same time?

I'm asking because on SiriusXM home streaming I can only use it on one device at a time.

On 9/6/2019 at 8:13 PM, Haboob said:

A travel router with "NAT" (network address translation) will almost certainly work, and even be undetectable by the ship's networking equipment.

But then there is that little issue that you specifically bought access for just one device at a time and...   😞

Shouldn't matter.  Ship will limit bandwidth to the router to equivalent of a single connection.

On 9/6/2019 at 8:06 PM, knotheadken said:

Thanks, I hope it works and I have two USB battery packs that I can use to power it. We'll put in a purse or bag and take it with us on the ship. That way we can sit anywhere on ship. I will hide the network name so everyone is not trying to hook into it!

Good. It’s obnoxious of those people to steal connections without paying for them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LeeW said:

Shouldn't matter.  Ship will limit bandwidth to the router to equivalent of a single connection.

That's only on ships selling tiered ("social" / "surf" / "streaming") packages.  Otherwise, they don't bother with QoS functionality -- one more thing for the staff afloat to misconfigure.

On 9/6/2019 at 6:06 PM, knotheadken said:

It does work as noted by yarramar above.  We've done it.  The downside is you both have to be physically together for both to have internet, so no good if you both want to connect when you aren't together.   You don't need internet to use the Medallion Class apps to communicate with each other.

1 hour ago, Oak City Man said:

What prevents using your phone as a hot spot? 

The phone is designed to hotspot a cellular connection not a wifi one. It doesn't work. I tried it on board just to see and it doesn't work. A travel router does. I currently have 5 devices connected and they all work seemlessly

• Like 2

7 hours ago, antsp said:

You can set up WiFi sharing on my phone so I assume that will do the same

You do not want to do that afloat.

When you set up your smartphone as a hotspot, it uses it's cellular radio for it's uplink, and it's WiFi radio to connect to the supported devices.

In other words, the first step afloat is to turn off Airplane Mode and connect to the ship's cell tower.  😲

5 hours ago, yarramar said:

The phone is designed to hotspot a cellular connection not a wifi one. It doesn't work. I tried it on board just to see and it doesn't work. 

It worked on a recent Oceania cruise. My friend and I had to share a connection so when I connected my computer to the ship's internet and made it a mobile hotspot, my friend was able to go online on her phone as well as I could get on with my phone. 

Edited by Go-Bucks!

8 hours ago, Haboob said:

You do not want to do that afloat.

When you set up your smartphone as a hotspot, it uses it's cellular radio for it's uplink, and it's WiFi radio to connect to the supported devices.

In other words, the first step afloat is to turn off Airplane Mode and connect to the ship's cell tower.  😲

On the Samsung note 9 you turn of mobile data, set all calls to call forward and that's it. Your device act as a WiFi router 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

It worked on a recent Oceania cruise. My friend and I had to share a connection so when I connected my computer to the ship's internet and made it a mobile hotspot, my friend was able to go online on her phone as well as I could get on with my phone. 

Yup.  Sounds right.

The key is that your computer and its operating system was doing the routing, not your phone or its operating system.

Neither Android nor iOS support tethering except to a cellular data source.

On 9/7/2019 at 7:02 AM, Haboob said:

If you purchase "up to four devices", then you get a logon credential that may be used on  four devices simultaneously: yours, hers, the guy's across the hall, and a random passer-by.

So if I choose “up to four devices” plan i can use my iPad and my husband can use his?  Would we have different log ins?  Would we need to be using our devices at same time.  Confused as no one person Would need to use 4 devices

2 minutes ago, beachmets said:

So if I choose “up to four devices” plan i can use my iPad and my husband can use his?  Would we have different log ins?  Would we need to be using our devices at same time.  Confused as no one person Would need to use 4 devices

Yes each has a different log in for the 4 device plan.

2 hours ago, Haboob said:

Yup.  Sounds right.

The key is that your computer and its operating system was doing the routing, not your phone or its operating system.

Neither Android nor iOS support tethering except to a cellular data source.

You can use my phone as a WiFi router, nothing to do with cellular