Diamond Status Inherited By Our Daughter Who Then Gets Married

CRUISEFOUR

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

How long ago was this? This is the first report of a demotion I have read other than when someone got to a level by mistake. 

In the past, Royal had issues with automatically unlinking a child when they turned 18.  Sometimes the child stayed linked at age 18 and beyond and had their C&A levels increased because their parents moved up.  A few years ago, Royal started demoting those children upon completion of their first cruise after turning 18.  They were demoted to whatever level their parents had on the date the child turned 18.  This could still be going on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Sometimes the child stayed linked at age 18 and beyond and had their C&A levels increased because their parents moved up.  A few years ago, Royal started demoting those children upon completion of their first cruise after turning 18. 

Right, but that is to fix a mistake. The poster said the demotion came after an address move and they were D+ at 18.

14 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Right, but that is to fix a mistake. The poster said the demotion came after an address move and they were D+ at 18.

I could not tell from that post that the child was 17 or under and had already cruised at the time the parents became D+.

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I could not tell from that post that the child was 17 or under and had already cruised at the time the parents became D+.

We became D+ at the inception of the level.  She had already cruises but was over 18 at that time.

On 9/7/2019 at 1:00 AM, John&LaLa said:

I think solo traveling has a lot more to do with it. Especially the rapid increase in Pinnacles

There should be an accommodation for those who are truly traveling as a solo.  But those gaming the system, husband/wife combos who book 2 rooms for double points and consequently get many double amenities do hurt the loyalty program. Just because they can doesn't mean they should. One of these days, it's going to come back to bite us all in the butt.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

There should be an accommodation for those who are truly traveling as a solo.  But those gaming the system, husband/wife combos who book 2 rooms for double points and consequently get many double amenities do hurt the loyalty program. Just because they can doesn't mean they should. One of these days, it's going to come back to bite us all in the butt.

Lots of reasons for two cabins, points is just one of them. 

Just popping in with a related question.  We became diamond while our children were under 18.  We all had diamond status.  The kids earned it outright as we always had two cabins and paid full fare for them.  

Do so they get to build upon their existing cruise credits or do they have to start from scratch to earn the next tier? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrsg00fy said:

Just popping in with a related question.  We became diamond while our children were under 18.  We all had diamond status.  The kids earned it outright as we always had two cabins and paid full fare for them.  

Do so they get to build upon their existing cruise credits or do they have to start from scratch to earn the next tier? 

Build on their actual points

10 minutes ago, mrsg00fy said:

No guests (children included) ever lose points they earned themselves.  They also don't get demoted C&A level(s) that they attained from being linked to their parents before they turned 18.

22 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

No guests (children included) ever lose points they earned themselves.  They also don't get demoted C&A level(s) that they attained from being linked to their parents before they turned 18.

Thank you! They are now at the age where they know that they’d like to use the diamond lounge benefit.  😊

19 hours ago, gaylemh said:

I never mentioned an age in my post.  All I was saying is that a child should be able to have their parents level, but after they reach a certain age, I would think 21 or 22 when they are out of school, they should go back to the level that they actually earned. I don't think it's right that an adult is getting the same D+ discounts and perks as me , when they could have only had to sail on one cruise.  I realize there are lots of kids that have earned their level by sailing the number of nights required and they earned the right to keep their level.

You did not say an age, but Royal did.  It is 18.

10 hours ago, MaritimeR&R said:

I'm lost on this? Why not? If they are paying single occupancy in two different cabins, why should they not get double. They are paying $$, which is what it is all about to Royal. So maybe I am not understanding something about your post?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, MaritimeR&R said:

I'm not sure what you are saying. Lets say spouse #1 booked a cabin paying double and spouse #2 booked a separate cabin also paying double. Both in balconies and this is a 5 day cruise. They both start out having 100 points each. Spouse #1 gets double points (10 points) and spouse #2 gets 10 points. Wouldn't that just put them at 110 points each or are you saying they would have 120 points?

34 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I'm not sure what you are saying. Lets say spouse #1 booked a cabin paying double and spouse #2 booked a separate cabin also paying double. Both in balconies and this is a 5 day cruise. They both start out having 100 points each. Spouse #1 gets double points (10 points) and spouse #2 gets 10 points. Wouldn't that just put them at 110 points each or are you saying they would have 120 points?

Under your numbers yes both would have 110

points; but where this happens is when one partner has many more points than the other.

Wife travels whilst husband works....!!  So let’s say the wife has 170 points and the husband has 100.  In this example at the end of the 5n cruise wife would have 180 and husband 110. Because they are linked in a “relationship “ they will both enjoy her D+ status on their next cruise. 

I know of people where one will be solo in a suite and the other in an inside. The suite would get 15 points for this 5n cruise.

Edited by little britain

On 9/7/2019 at 10:05 PM, cruisegus said:

But in both the airline and hotel industry's you can earn lifetime status with enough time at the elite levels.  I call that Pinnacle.

Airlines it is tied to a specific goal.  Normally Million Miles.

And depending on which airline, and how the count miles to Million Miler (they may not be the same as normal elite qualification miles), you will get a certain lifetime status.

On Delta, 1 million miles gets you lifetime Silver.  At 2 million, you get lifetime Gold.  But you accrue miles fairly quickly on Delta, as all your elite qualifying miles count (travel on partners, class of service bonus, etc).

On United, 1 million miles gets your lifetime Gold.  But it is harder to reach.  They only count base miles (miles flown, no bonuses) and only miles on United aircraft (no partners or code share credit).

The only hotel lifetime I am familiar with is Marriott.  When I earned it, it was like a secret society.  NO ONE could tell you what it took to make it.  And you only knew of it, if you knew someone with it.  No advertising.  But now it is published, what to earn various levels of lifetime.  In the past, there was only one, and that was lifetime Platinum (the highest at the time).

8 hours ago, little britain said:

Under your numbers yes both would have 110

points; but where this happens is when one partner has many more points than the other.

Wife travels whilst husband works....!!  So let’s say the wife has 170 points and the husband has 100.  In this example at the end of the 5n cruise wife would have 180 and husband 110. Because they are linked in a “relationship “ they will both enjoy her D+ status on their next cruise. 

I know of people where one will be solo in a suite and the other in an inside. The suite would get 15 points for this 5n cruise.

Obviously more money than common sense, the benefits aren’t worth such an expenditure 

• Haha 1

Personally, I think children should only get parent's status under 18, when actually traveling with parents.  

Once they turn 18 (or even 21 would be OK), they would only have their own status.

But I would also support that anyone traveling in the same cabin with a certain status, get that status FOR THAT CRUISE.

Partner status, should only last as long as the partnership does.  Or, like airline programs, each person at a higher status, can give that status to ONE person for ONE year.  Each year can be a different person.

So husband and wife.  One is D+.  Can give D+ to other.  They get divorced.  The one with D+ gets married, they can give the D+ to the current spouse, but the previous spouse reverts to whatever level they have earned with their points.

• Like 1