Group Cruise Booking was Cancelled

Dlady47

3 hours ago, Coral said:

You missed the point. This is a group cruise where you have to book with the group to take advantage of the group theme. They have special dinners and special events that you are only invited if you book within the group.

No, I didn't.

While I have never taken a group cruise before, I have friends who have.  In every case, they've been able to access their booking on the cruise line's website.  So, unless Princess does it differently and even though it's a group cruise, each individual/cabin has its own booking number.  People should have been able to check in on their booking by registering on Princess' website with no issues.

• Like 1

Yes, we all had access to the Princess cruise portal. The one person whose booking was cancelled twice was able to fill out the info for the cruise but hadn't yet printed the boarding pass. She had a booking number and a room assigned. Then a few days later, she went into the Princess site to buy an excursion and got the message that her booking had been cancelled. It's really odd.

Edited by Dlady47

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

No, I didn't.

While I have never taken a group cruise before, I have friends who have.  In every case, they've been able to access their booking on the cruise line's website.  So, unless Princess does it differently and even though it's a group cruise, each individual/cabin has its own booking number.  People should have been able to check in on their booking by registering on Princess' website with no issues.

My point was that if people wanted to be part of the group, they had to use the group TA. They could not book direct. You were saying how you would book direct. It doesn't work in this situation.

• Like 1

What I haven't seen (I may have missed it) is whether the cancelled cruiser got their money back. I suspect not and that would be worth calling the police about in my opinion. At minimum I would be doing a charge back on my credit card if I was not on the ship next week.

37 minutes ago, katisdale said:

What I haven't seen (I may have missed it) is whether the cancelled cruiser got their money back. I suspect not and that would be worth calling the police about in my opinion. At minimum I would be doing a charge back on my credit card if I was not on the ship next week.

So far, they're still hoping to have a room on the ship. They're on the waiting list, but the longer time goes on, the less likely. The person I'm in contact with will definitely be taking action if she doesn't get a room. No money has been refunded yet, and the TA isn't admitting that they don't have rooms. She says she's working on it with Princess. So who knows? 

Edited by Dlady47
  • Like 3

On 9/8/2019 at 1:10 PM, steelers36 said:

Great story.  And no wonder you still work with her.  Not only that, you must feel 100% comfortable recommending her to friends.  Suppliers who do something like that earn my loyalty for life.

You deserve some credit, too, for being so nice about it and not banging on her desk, threatening to sue, etc.  As my Mama done taught me, "kill them with kindness" will bring you nice results.  I don't think most passengers would have been as good as you were and, I am sure, most TA's wouldn't have gone above and beyond like she did immediately taking the blame and doing so much to make it right.  You have a winner there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dlady47 said:

So far, they're still hoping to have a room on the ship. They're on the waiting list, but the longer time goes on, the less likely. The person I'm in contact with will definitely be taking action if she doesn't get a room. No money has been refunded yet, and the TA isn't admitting that they don't have rooms. She says she's working on it with Princess. So who knows? 

My question is : Who has their money now?  The TA or Princess?  If Princess has the money or/and the TA has record of paying Princess before Princess canceled the cruise, then Princess has to get a a cabin.  They can make a mover over offer to another PAX.  

If they are on a wait list, I think that sounds like a new booking that was made.

7 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

My question is : Who has their money now?  The TA or Princess?  If Princess has the money or/and the TA has record of paying Princess before Princess canceled the cruise, then Princess has to get a a cabin.  They can make a mover over offer to another PAX.  

If they are on a wait list, I think that sounds like a new booking that was made.

Edited by Dlady47
Deleted

I'm glad to hear this woman got a cabin...and I'll say, I haven't read this thread in its entirety...but honestly this sounds like what SeaCruisers did a year ago.  I don't know if this woman (SeaCruisers) is still organizing group cruises or not, but I believe there were some actions taken against her back then....

For Information's Sake - There are quite a few YouTube Influencers...Don's Family Vacations....La Lida Loca... and others....who put out videos after that happened instructing us all on how to protect ourselves when using a TA....  I would encourage everyone to visit those YouTube channels in search of those particular videos...  very thorough and good info!  

Edited by rgmacm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Coral said:

My point was that if people wanted to be part of the group, they had to use the group TA. They could not book direct. You were saying how you would book direct. It doesn't work in this situation.

My point was though that you should always check your booking as often as possible, regardless of how you book it.

• Like 1

Now for the juicy details.  Did she get a better room?  Did she get some OBC for all the stress?  Who fixed it (Princess or the TA)?  So many tidbits for inquiring minds (who wouldn't think of asking).  

Thanks for coming back to the thread to update all of us.  I've been following your path.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am happy this worked out, and glad the couple got a cabin. Hopefully, all will be well going forward. 

As a TA, it disappoints me to see some of the practices in the industry. There are times when we get calls from people who have paid money for trips to other agencies, and the trips don't materialize and they are hoping we can fix it. Last year, someone brought me a flyer where they had paid a $1200 deposit ($600 pp x 2) in check form to join a small group tour to South America and now could not reach the agent, and no details or bookings had been forthcoming, and they were scheduled to leave in less than 2 months.  It is disheartening, but I think it's the same in every industry - some great, many good, some bad. 

As a TA, the best advice I can give to a travel consumer is that when you provide a credit card for a deposit or a payment, this amount should be charged from the actual service provider, not from the travel agency. Whether it is a group or individual booking. Whether it is a cruise, tour, lodging, components, or air. 

Happy travels, and enjoy your trip!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, terry&mike said:

I am happy this worked out, and glad the couple got a cabin. Hopefully, all will be well going forward. 

As a TA, it disappoints me to see some of the practices in the industry. There are times when we get calls from people who have paid money for trips to other agencies, and the trips don't materialize and they are hoping we can fix it. Last year, someone brought me a flyer where they had paid a $1200 deposit ($600 pp x 2) in check form to join a small group tour to South America and now could not reach the agent, and no details or bookings had been forthcoming, and they were scheduled to leave in less than 2 months.  It is disheartening, but I think it's the same in every industry - some great, many good, some bad. 

As a TA, the best advice I can give to a travel consumer is that when you provide a credit card for a deposit or a payment, this amount should be charged from the actual service provider, not from the travel agency. Whether it is a group or individual booking. Whether it is a cruise, tour, lodging, components, or air. 

Happy travels, and enjoy your trip!

I’m glad the particular couple finally got a cabin.  

I totally agree with the poster above.  Appears this TA for the group pocketed some money from the get go.  Like Coral, I try as much as possible to book directly with Princess but I do have an upcoming cruise booked with a TA.  Very reputable, national on line agency and they did save me a couple hundred $$ on the cabin on expensive cruise.  I immediately checked my personalizer to make sure everything was correct.  I also checked my booked cruises once a week or so just to make sure Princess hasn’t made any changes.  There is always someone trying to rip you

off.

1 hour ago, richsea said:

Really?? You know this how? Which ones?

A quick idiot’s guide - according to the Cambridge English Dictionary an Influencer is "a marketing person or group that has the ability to influence the behaviour or opinions of others. Their effect on the purchase decision is some way significant or authoritative."

In my (simple) mind we are all essentially ‘influencers’, but from a digital marketing perspective – and this article – an influencer is in fact a slightly nonsense word made up to reference the increasingly sought-after people on Instagram that have a large following, typically above 25k.

These are people that, like bloggers, can command huge prices to endorse a product or service.