Lima disembarkation...Pursuit March 23, 2020

Fatfish

Lima disembarkation ...  We are planning on a late flight back to Florida at around 10:30 pm on disembarkation day...I see that Azamara has a tour & transfer for flights after 4pm....I'm assuming that the bus will drop you off at airport between 1-2 pm..Really don't want to sit around airport that long...I thought about spending the night but flight out next morning is at 6:30 am, which means a very early morning.....Any alternative ideas?

Edited by Fatfish

How about doing a private tour? with a drop off at the airport after a dinner. I used Kuodo travel for my 11 nights in Lima, Cusco, Sacred Valley, and they were great.  I'm sure Mery (the owner) could organize a day tour for you.  Perhaps there are some others from your role call who might be in a similar situation and would want to join.

mery@kuodatravel.com 

Lisa

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leo_On_Geo said:

How about doing a private tour? with a drop off at the airport after a dinner. I used Kuodo travel for my 11 nights in Lima, Cusco, Sacred Valley, and they were great.  I'm sure Mery (the owner) could organize a day tour for you.  Perhaps there are some others from your role call who might be in a similar situation and would want to join.

mery@kuodatravel.com 

Lisa

I've also posted my post to the roll call but not very active...There is plenty of time but I like to have all my ducks in a row....I appreciate your input....I would love to do what you are saying with a nice tour and dinner and then to airport around 7:30 pm...I'm sure we would need a few couples to make this work....Thanks

Have you thought about a day room at a hotel?  One with facilities like a swimming pool that you can use . There are websites for the purpose that you can find using Google and you can book these late.  It may work out fairly inexpensive too as hotels in Lima are reasonable. My advice if you do is to choose carefully as there are some not so nice parts of Lima.  Callao for instance where the ship docks.  

Phil

I second Phil’s suggestion of a day at a hotel.  We did that when we disembarked in Lima and it was a wonderful day.  A few tips though - if you have the opportunity to take a transfer from ship into a hotel in town do it.  We elected to take the transfer into town where our prearranged car met us.  (No pick ups were allowed right at the port.). We were taken to a very seedy parking lot which felt unsafe.  An Azamara rep was there but it was all he could do to keep the legitimate drivers allowed in and those preying on some travellers out.  Also - the Lima airport is a nightmare.  Our local driver picked us up at midnight for a 3 am flight and there was no time to spare. 

I very much agree with the suggestions provided, that you take a ship transfer into the center and book a day room. Look for a hotel in Miraflores. You can then safely walk around without your luggage in this area and have a nice early meal before heading to the airport. Lima is a foodie paradise!

35 minutes ago, Fatfish said:

Thanks for the input...Looking at Airbnb...Might just stay an extra night a get an early (6:30am) flight....

If you are thinking of spending a night then I would recommend here.  Very nice place in Miraflores.  Very friendly hosts and clean, newly refurbished rooms.  Well priced.  It’s a 45 minute drive from the airport. 

Belma Boutique b & b

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

If you are thinking of spending a night then I would recommend here.  Very nice place in Miraflores.  Very friendly hosts and clean, newly refurbished rooms.  Well priced.  It’s a 45 minute drive from the airport. 

Belma Boutique b & b

Phil

Thanks Phil...Do they have an elevator ?

There is a hotel located right at the airport called the Wyndham Costa Del Sol with direct access to the airport. You can walk to the departures area. It is a business hotel, clean with spa and pool but I wouldn't recommend it for more than 1 night. Spent 1 night at the hotel prior to our excursion to Machu Picchu.

There is no night life as the area is industrial so you will be hotel-bound. However, you can easily make your 6:30 am flight as it takes taxi travel off the table. Travel by car in Lima is very exciting with lights, signals and signs being suggestions.

If you are spending more than 1 night, then I would recommend the Miraflores or Barranco districts. Those are probably the two best districts for tourists.

I will put in a shameless plug for a hotel in the Barranco called Hotel B, a  Relais et Chateau hotel. It has excellent food and ambience, but may be a bit high end.

Good luck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NeverStopLearning said:

There is a hotel located right at the airport called the Wyndham Costa Del Sol with direct access to the airport. You can walk to the departures area. It is a business hotel, clean with spa and pool but I wouldn't recommend it for more than 1 night. Spent 1 night at the hotel prior to our excursion to Machu Picchu.

There is no night life as the area is industrial so you will be hotel-bound. However, you can easily make your 6:30 am flight as it takes taxi travel off the table. Travel by car in Lima is very exciting with lights, signals and signs being suggestions.

If you are spending more than 1 night, then I would recommend the Miraflores or Barranco districts. Those are probably the two best districts for tourists.

I will put in a shameless plug for a hotel in the Barranco called Hotel B, a  Relais et Chateau hotel. It has excellent food and ambience, but may be a bit high end.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input...

On 9/10/2019 at 8:02 AM, Fatfish said:

Thanks for the input...Looking at Airbnb...Might just stay an extra night a get an early (6:30am) flight....

If your flight is at 6.30 in the morning you will have to be at the airport the latest at 3.30 am. This means driving from Miraflores at 2.30 am. 

I am not sure you will be able to sleep much. If I were you, I would rather take the flight at night.

In Lima I prefer the hotels. Miraflores near the Larco Mar is a good area. Plenty of options in trip advisor. Make sure that you get a transfer to the airport from your hotel. Lima does not have a good reputation in relation to taxis taken independently.

Lima is the gastronomical capital from South America. Some of the restaurants in Lima are among the 10 best restaurants of the world. If you like gourmet food, you could book a lunch at one of those restaurants. For example Maido or Central. You have to book months in advance if you wish to eat there. In their web pages in internet you could see their menues and prices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1