Koningsdam Front Facing Cabins

whitford

Balcony?  They offered me an upgrade to a front balcony and I turned it down. In my imagination I pictured it as driving a motorcycle without a bug guard. 

Go to halfacts dot com and click pinnacle class and there are many cabin photos

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Balcony?  They offered me an upgrade to a front balcony and I turned it down. In my imagination I pictured it as driving a motorcycle without a bug guard. 

Go to halfacts dot com and click pinnacle class and there are many cabin photos

There are no forward facing balconies on K'dam. I don't think there are any on any of the HAL ships. The balcony at the front cabin has a side wall, so there is some shelter. 

5 hours ago, whitford said:

Any information or opinions on Koningsdam front facing cabins would be helpful. Pictures would be nice also.

Friends of ours had a front-facing OV cabin on the Sun Deck of Koningsdam, 11004.  They really liked it.  It was roomier inside than our balcony cabin.  

I had a front-facing oceanview cabin on the Konigsdam for 36 days this summer on a Mediterrean cruise.  It was fantastic.  Getting up early, opening the curtains and seeing the coast getting closer was great.  On some departures (e.g. Trieste), we backed out and the view was fabulous, especially as it was dark and the city lights were on.  The curtains on the 7th deck cabins do have to be closed at night to limit shine on the bridge.  The Mediterrean Sea was very calm, so rocking was not a problem.

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, versuco said:

Can anyone walk in front of the forward facing ocean view cabins on Koningsdam deck 7?  The deck plans show open space there.  Thanks.

I don't see any way to get out there. I'm pretty sure the white spaces next to 7005 and 7006 are officers' cabins, each of which have their own small balcony on the side. The forward partition of those might open to allow the officers to go out front, but not ordinary passengers.

16 minutes ago, catl331 said:

I don't see any way to get out there. I'm pretty sure the white spaces next to 7005 and 7006 are officers' cabins, each of which have their own small balcony on the side. The forward partition of those might open to allow the officers to go out front, but not ordinary passengers.

Thank you!  

54 minutes ago, catl331 said:

What about in front of 11001 ?

The passengers in 11005 can walk from their side balcony to that space in front of their forward-facing window.

Can they continue across in front of the middle ocean-view/window cabins?  Or is that blocked off - and if so, what is in that space?

Thanks!

GC

25 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

What about in front of 11001 ?

The passengers in 11005 can walk from their side balcony to that space in front of their forward-facing window.

Can they continue across in front of the middle ocean-view/window cabins?  Or is that blocked off - and if so, what is in that space?

Thanks!

GC

Are looking at plans of K'dam? There's no balcony area forward of those cabins. Those forward Neptunes have very small balconies at the sides only. 

5 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Are looking at plans of K'dam? There's no balcony area forward of those cabins. Those forward Neptunes have very small balconies at the sides only. 

Here is a link:

1 hour ago, Live4cruises said:

The third post in this thread has a good video of K’dam 11005, forward facing Neptune, not one of the Spa Suites.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2444227-koningsdam-neptune-stateroom-11005/#comment-52566903

If you look carefully, it is very obvious that the person in 11005 has moved from the side balcony to the *front* and she is peering down at the people of the bow of the ship.

So my question was... what is in that forward balcony area just to that person's left, beyond the area of 11005, towards the midline (running front to back, not sideways) of the ship?

I was making the assumption that 11001 would be one of the middle "ocean view" cabins (meaning window, but no direct balcony access).

Are the linked photos showing something different from what I thought, especially where there is someone looking down toward the bow of the ship?

GC

18 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Here is a link:

If you look carefully, it is very obvious that the person in 11005 has moved from the side balcony to the *front* and she is peering down at the people of the bow of the ship.

So my question was... what is in that forward balcony area just to that person's left, beyond the area of 11005, towards the midline (running front to back, not sideways) of the ship?

I was making the assumption that 11001 would be one of the middle "ocean view" cabins (meaning window, but no direct balcony access).

Are the linked photos showing something different from what I thought, especially where there is someone looking down toward the bow of the ship?

GC

Hard to tell how far that little walkway wraps around to the front. The review of 11006 on halfacts says the balcony is tiny, but there's no photo taken outside.

http://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/10006-nieuw-statendam/

30 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Hard to tell how far that little walkway wraps around to the front. The review of 11006 on halfacts says the balcony is tiny, but there's no photo taken outside.

I wasn't sure either, until I saw someone standing there, leaning over, and peering down at the people standing on the bow.  But now that I think of that, it was a photo, and not the video (IIRC).  So I'm not sure WHICH of the links in that other thread contain this series of photos.

I assumed that it was probably the woman who was previously shown in a photo sitting on the side balcony... and behind her, it seemed that the balcony might continue, albeit narrowly, to the front.  And then came the photo of her - or someone - standing there.  One only sees the back of her head in this second photo, because she's looking downward.  (And I'm only assuming it's a woman, because of the long hair showing.)

That person is *definitely* standing at the front of the ship, on a balcony that seems to wrap all across the front - the hard white metal balcony siding, not the clear type.

Yes, the side balcony is very small, and the side changes from clear to the solid white as it starts to make the turn.

The one time we had a huge "half way across the front" balcony, just above a Bridge, it also had the metal half-way up instead of clear material.  That was our "most favorite suite ever"!  We could see almost 180 degrees, and there was a hot tub there.

It was Alaska, so that panorama view was amazing (but we didn't use the hot tub too much).

There are other ships that have these forward balconies, and it really seems that HAL has at least one ship like this.
What class is the Konigsdam?  Maybe other ships in that class have the same?

(I have no information about the Nieuw Statendam, which is what you linked to.  That may be different or the same; I have no idea.)

GC

ETA - Yup, it's the VIDEO, at about 2 and a half minutes, right after the tender is showing.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2444227-koningsdam-neptune-stateroom-11005/#comment-52566903

Edited by GeezerCouple

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If you look at the link in post #6 of this thread you can tell that there is a balcony out front despite the fact that the deck plans don't show one:

On 9/7/2019 at 9:59 PM, catl331 said:

2 minutes ago, catl331 said:

If you look at the link in post #6 of this thread you can tell that there is a balcony out front despite the fact that the deck plans don't show one:

Thanks.

But one thing I can't figure out is whether those middle cabins (not the two end Neptune Suites) actually have any access to that balcony.

It seems from the video I linked to above that shows NS 11005, that the access to that forward balcony is going to be through both of the NS, on the port and starboard sides.

So... does that also mean that someone in the NS could walk right in front of the middle cabins' windows?  (If not, how is that space used?)

Also, can someone please explain how a Neptune SPA Suite differs from a plain vanilla Neptune Suite?

It seems that there is a Deck 10 SPA NS right below each of the Deck 11 regular Neptune Suites.  But what's the "compare and contrast in 500 words or less", etc.?  :classic_wink:

Many thanks, again!

GC

14 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

But one thing I can't figure out is whether those middle cabins (not the two end Neptune Suites) actually have any access to that balcony.

Since travelingwiththejones.com doesn't mention it, I'm presuming that they don't have access. How far across the 11005/11006 pax can go is another question. 

edit: the first picture on the jones' post seems to show a balcony on the front of deck 10 also, but the review of 10006 on halfacts says "the balcony is tiny"

Edited by catl331

4 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Since travelingwiththejones.com doesn't mention it, I'm presuming that they don't have access. How far across the 11005/11006 pax can go is another question. 

Do you happen to know if there are any other ships with the equivalent to 11005/11006?

And do you happen to know how these differ from the Deck 10 SPA Neptune Suites right under each of these two regular Deck 11 Neptune Suites?

Is it something within the suite, or maybe included access to the Spa/Therapy Pool?

Are they the same footprint?

Now is the time for us to be trying to get the most appropriate suite available for a couple of future cruises (ones that our other cruise lines don't include in their itineraries).

Many thanks!

And I cannot imagine that "someone else" would be allowed right outside the windows of those middle cabins, but I've seen something like that on at least one ship on one other line.  We did not choose those, even though they had that wonderful forward view that we adore.  But in that case it was worse... it was a public deck! :classic_ohmy:  

GC

15 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Do you happen to know if there are any other ships with the equivalent to 11005/11006?

Yes, the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam have Neptunes on the corners of deck 10.  On those ships the balcony definitely does not wrap around to the front, which can be seen at the very end of this video:

http://halfacts.com/signature-class/10006-nieuw-amsterdam/

Untitled.jpg

Edited by catl331

8 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Yes, the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam have Neptunes on the corners of deck 10.  On those ships the balcony definitely does not wrap around to the front, which can be seen at the very end of this video:

http://halfacts.com/signature-class/10006-nieuw-amsterdam/

Untitled.jpg

Yup, that looks pretty clear! :classic_smile: Thanks!

But that's Deck 10.  IF these are similar ships to Konigsdam, then perhaps this is how the  K's Deck 10 Spa Neptune Suites are set up as well?

But what about Deck 11 on these other ships (or are they not that similar to start with)?

Are those two Deck 11 NS (11005/11006) on Konigsdam really unique on Holland America?

Many thanks!  This does matter to us, if we can find others, if they exist...

GC

21 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

And do you happen to know how these differ from the Deck 10 SPA Neptune Suites right under each of these two regular Deck 11 Neptune Suites?

Is it something within the suite, or maybe included access to the Spa/Therapy Pool?

Are they the same footprint?

Now is the time for us to be trying to get the most appropriate suite available for a couple of future cruises (ones that our other cruise lines don't include in their itineraries).

Many thanks!

And I cannot imagine that "someone else" would be allowed right outside the windows of those middle cabins, but I've seen something like that on at least one ship on one other line.  We did not choose those, even though they had that wonderful forward view that we adore.  But in that case it was worse... it was a public deck! :classic_ohmy:  

GC

HAL's spa cabins are close to the spa. They do not include a spa pass. I think there's a yoga mat in the cabin and some other minor cabin amenity, but that's it.

5 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

HAL's spa cabins are close to the spa. They do not include a spa pass. I think there's a yoga mat in the cabin and some other minor cabin amenity, but that's it.

I guess I misunderstood something earlier.  I thought that "SQ" Neptune Suites were "Spa" Neptune Suites.   What does SQ mean?

Also, that balcony for 10005/10006 might still be good for us, as we would be able to see forward, albeit not fully across the front.  We love to watch as land approaches.  (Er, as the ship approaches the land!)  And we even prefer watching "forward" rather than to the side, even when on the open seas. That doesn't seem to make much sense, but it does to us.

Thanks.

GC