Problems with name containing a suffix.

BillHana

Seventy years ago my parents gave me a name with a suffix. I am officially the 4th and my US passport has IV after my last name. Most of my other documents don't use this suffix. My problem is getting this suffix on my Royal Caribbean reservation. C&A society keeps dropping this and it is always a problem getting my C&A number connected to my RCL reservation. I get this problem often when trying to do the online check-in and I cannot change my name to add the suffix.

Is it really necessary to have this suffix on the RCL documents? Will it cause any problem if I don't use it? Anybody have experience with this?

Yes, it does matter for reservations. Your name must appear the same way as it does on your ID (passport or other government issue ID).

Depending on the ID you will be using to cruise, make sure the cruise reservation at least shows the proper format that will be submitted to the authorities. Call the customer service people to have the reservation name amended to match your ID.

I feel your pain, while I don't have a suffix, I do have a double first name and it can be a struggle to make sure that my name appears as a first name and that the second half is not dropped.

• Like 1

My son has a hyphenated last name.  They removed the hyphen and replaced it with a space so it reads like it's a middle name.

Different than IV but I'd call C&A and talk to them about it.  The general number is staffed with less experienced contact center agents. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BillHana said:

Seventy years ago my parents gave me a name with a suffix. I am officially the 4th and my US passport has IV after my last name. Most of my other documents don't use this suffix. My problem is getting this suffix on my Royal Caribbean reservation. C&A society keeps dropping this and it is always a problem getting my C&A number connected to my RCL reservation. I get this problem often when trying to do the online check-in and I cannot change my name to add the suffix.

Is it really necessary to have this suffix on the RCL documents? Will it cause any problem if I don't use it? Anybody have experience with this?

Don't use suffix with anything related to Royal. They have never used it on a reservation. Maybe never will.

My husband is a JR and has struggled with cruise lines and airlines to get the JR on his documentation. I don't think it makes a difference to RC as long as the name is correct. You can add the suffix in your account online but I don't believe it shows on any cruise documentation. I recently printed out our Set Sail passes for a cruise and they only have our first and last names on them. 

• Like 1

I have a family member that is a third (III). We cruise with him & his wife often. The first several cruises we worried about it & went to great lengths to correct it only to find out no one ever notices. So we finally decided to roll the dice & see what would happen. Guess what? No one noticed. So now we don't bother bringing it to their attention & have never had an issue.

Im a Jr. Was on my passport,  however,  12 years ago, US Passport didn't use or put Jr. on my renewal passport. For 9 years nothing ever said or questioned. Then clearing customs, agent said why doesn't passport have Jr. Told him he was the first to question that in 9 years and we travel at least 7 times a year all over the world.  New passport 3 years ago. Still no Jr. Never name a boy with a suffix. Too much legal problems. 

In the past (a decade ago) I've had issues at the pier check-in where an agent told me I might not be able to board next time if I didn't have the Jr on my reservation.  I would add the Jr to my last name when making a reservation, but then it wouldn't match my Crown & Anchor profile, and I'd have to make several phone calls to get this issue resolved for that cruise only.

Long story short, there's a suffix folder where Royal Caribbean keeps it on file.  It just doesn't show up on cruise documentation.  I didn't add the Jr to my upcoming cruise on Wednesday (delayed from Tuesday).  I think I put my full name when entering my passport information, but can't remember. 

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Royal has told us that for their purposes, only the first and last name must match ID documents.

Apparently name on manifest must match name on passport.  Got held up for about 1/2 hour one time returning to Port Everglades because Celebrity did not enter my correct legal name as it appears on my passport on the manifest.  Not an issue leaving port but on return.  From then on I insist my name appears on ship manifest/records exactly as on passport.

putting it as part of the last name or first name seems to be the best way to get around the issue.  I wonder what people do with really long or unusual names?

My wife works in social services and one child was named "Always gonna be mine never gonna be yours"  or even "machine gun commander".

3 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Apparently name on manifest must match name on passport.  Got held up for about 1/2 hour one time returning to Port Everglades because Celebrity did not enter my correct legal name as it appears on my passport on the manifest.  Not an issue leaving port but on return.  From then on I insist my name appears on ship manifest/records exactly as on passport.

Did the manifest have your first and last name correct?

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Did the manifest have your first and last name correct?

No.  They did not have the M before Grace as my first name and my passport does.  I have a double last name which includes my maiden name and my married name and I just use a space.  They had M as my first name and Grace as middle name.  When I changed my name I opted not to use a middle name.  The agent did not want to allow me off the ship.  Was quite strange as all names were correct just not in the same order as on my passport.  Maybe it has his first day on the job.  Friends traveling with us were wondering what happened to us.

7 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

No.  They did not have the M before Grace as my first name and my passport does.  I have a double last name which includes my maiden name and my married name and I just use a space.  They had M as my first name and Grace as middle name.  When I changed my name I opted not to use a middle name.  The agent did not want to allow me off the ship.  Was quite strange as all names were correct just not in the same order as on my passport.  Maybe it has his first day on the job.  Friends traveling with us were wondering what happened to us.

Makes sense, I know they are very picky about the first and last names.

Just added a person to our reservation that is a "III" and Royal told me that it was very important to add the suffix to the reservation if his ID and birth certificate showed "III."  So far the reservation still shows the suffix though it shows it as "Iii." 

• Like 1

This is one of the biggest problem we have today. There no longer is one answer. It all depends on who you talk to. Look on here. How many different answers have been posted. Nothing is black n white. 

Formal dress

Food

Cruise line

Etc.

We seem lost and.................

My husband is a JR and I was held up at check in once because they had left it off of our reservation!  Now I always make sure the suffix is there!!

On the last name space we just type the last name...then a space...and then JR.  Works like a charm and it does show up on the reservation and matches his passport!

I have a hyphenated last name as do more and more people every day.  Some, but not many, companies allow for a hyphen but most do not and it’s very frustrated.  When my name runs together with no space or hyphen, it’s 13 characters long.  It’s hysterical when call center get reps, especially foreign ones, try to pronounce it.

Its all about the IT department making the change and we all know about RCI’s IT department.  

• Like 1

DH is a Junior.  As other Juniors...cannot put the suffix "Jr." on reservation.  RCI not set up for it.  

We get delayed each time we check in, but only for a couple of minutes as we explain and point out...RCI online registration does not accept that input.  No big deal.  

On 9/8/2019 at 7:27 AM, cruisinfromtampa said:

Our last names is hyphenated, and their system doesn't allow for hyphens.  We put both last names in the last name box without the hyphen.  Perhaps you could put "IV" in the box with your last name?  I don't know if it would solve the issue, or be allowed, but an idea.

I have a double-hyphenated name (first and last - OMG right?!).  Any system that doesn't take a hyphen I run them together with no space and I haven't had a problem anywhere with countless travel docs thank goodness but a lot of times I have to 'try' both as I can't remember if the booking system at the time took a hyphen or not - LOL.  My passport contains the hyphens as it should.  

There used to be an issue in that the reservation system and the C&A system did not deal with suffixes the same way (I am a Jr).  One had a suffix field and one had you put the suffix in with the last name.

I forget which one was which, but do get things to connect, I would have to change my name to remove the suffix from the field and then connect them, then put the suffix.

Similar issue with the airlines in the past.  Some had a suffix field and some did not.  So I appended my Jr to my last name (without a space, as some could not handle a space) for all of them.  But it seems now, they can all handle a suffix.